Quantcast

PORTLAND Thread

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Well, another week if work and school is upon us, and most importantly- riding our bikes! So, who's gonna be riding after work/school this week? We should try to hook up an afternoon or evening ride somewhere (weather permitting, as always).

Oh, and speaking of the weather- I was tweaking the susp. on my bike today and opened the garage to test it out, and as soon as the door opened it started pissing down rain. Dry streets before, soaking wet everywhere 10 seconds later. Lame-o.

Gunslingger- how'd the moving go? Hopefully the movers didn't drop anything (or steal anything). You didn't let 'em load up your bike, right???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Get_Some
yeah, around 11:D Toshi, Frank, I'm comming...I'm gonna drive myself up cause I may have to leave earlier than latter for a Family thing...where should we meet? I'll call you guy's first thing in the moanin'...Thruster good to know you'll be out there too, hope to have a great ride...
good to ride with you guys again. i am sore yet again, but hopefully won't bruise up like a champ, like i did after the kona demo day ride... :dead:

pics to come tomorrow -- camera is in the car, and i am too lazy to go downstairs and get it :D

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
sounds better than mine....MOVING sucks and took all 48 plus hours the weekend offers. I also met a "cable guy" who I ended up tipping 10 bucks after hearing his sob sotry of not being able to find a job, his girlfirned leaving him for another girl and how his brother lost one of his balls mountain biking! Go COMCAST!

So what happened to Frank?

I am definitely up for riding this week.

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
I launched off a stump with a lil too much spped and piled into a burm shoulder first... Im going to get it x-rayed right now just to make sure its not too serious.... Ohhhh fun stuff.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
I had a great time up at PC loved the drop zone and frankenstain would of been fun but it was ways too wet for me to hit it.

Chris was wondering why you guys don't use roofing shingles on some of the stunts?
These work great when it rains so you can ride year around.

Well had a great time as for now I liked the northshore up at the top and the dropzone what a blast.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by thruster
Chris was wondering why you guys don't use roofing shingles on some of the stunts?
These work great when it rains so you can ride year around.
I'm not sure, I've not actually built anything up there. You'll want to get in touch with the guys at the Gorge Freeride Assc (GFRA), they do a lot of the building in PC.

I do know that shingles do not have a long lifespan when ridden heavily (they tend to tear up), so that may be the reason. I also know that they provide a look thay may not necessarily be in harmony with the surrounding forest.

Of course, the real solution is skill, right? Wet logs are a nice challenge, plus they do dry out pretty quickly in the spring.

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
Ah Frank, so was the shoulder real stiff this morning? I'm Stiff and I didn't take the digger you took...hope it's alright...

Charlie great to meet ya, Toshi, How are you feeling? you took a good fall onh that hit eh..., Jason good to see you up there, I agree, Chicken wire or something is needed in the wet, theat upper section was too slick to ride espescialy with alot of the off-camber logs... Yeah, the GFRA guy's were up building yesterday, we stoped and talked to them for a few, they're building some amazing **** up there...Props to you guy's and thanks for making such an unreal trail network...

So, Toshi, what pics are you gonna show? Not from Sunday I'd assume...

Cheers

Dave

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Whats up guys? So I just got back from seeing the Doc and Im good to go. He said I prolly just tore/pulled some of the muscle, but should be fine in a week or so... Im crossing my fingers for Beacon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Get_Some
Toshi, How are you feeling? you took a good fall onh that hit eh...

So, Toshi, what pics are you gonna show? Not from Sunday I'd assume...
yeah, pics from sunday :eek:. charlie and i went back up, and i took pics of him on the three drop trails. er, or on two of the three. :D whatever. heh.

as for me, was a bit sore this morning but nothing major. the full face definitely proved its worth yesterday, what with running into trees and such.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by gorgechris
Damn, what were you guys doing up there? Sounds like carnage!
those log rides become seriously slippery when it's wet out. where i smacked my head (only lightly, mind you! heh) was on the long log after the teeter totter, right after the chicken wire on the log starts. the other fall was on the jump immediately after that. :D good times

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
When you guys ride, what are you riding? Sounds like some freeride type stuff. I hope to have my rigs put together mid May, so I hope you guys can show me some sweet spots...

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
those log rides become seriously slippery when it's wet out. where i smacked my head (only lightly, mind you! heh) was on the long log after the teeter totter, right after the chicken wire on the log starts. the other fall was on the jump immediately after that. :D good times
I think you guys were riding GP. Awesome stuff, I still haven't worked up the nads to do that teeter. Last time we were out there, some guy I didn't know keep trashing himself on it - not very confidence-inspiring, if ya' know what I mean.

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Chris, have you seen any of the newer stuff the GFRA guys are workin on? What we saw looks like its gonna be super sick...
Down below GP, Above Toilet Bowl... Check it out if ya havent already seen what they're doin...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by thatoneguy
When you guys ride, what are you riding? Sounds like some freeride type stuff. I hope to have my rigs put together mid May, so I hope you guys can show me some sweet spots...
i'm riding either my fully rigid xc bike when i feel xtreeem and masochistic, or a evil imperial with a 5" z1 fr up front. others i have ridden with recently ride: norco 4x4, banshee scream, big hit w/the big link, rm6 with a monster, norco somethingorother with a junior t, and various tamer beasts. :D

here are the pics from sunday, i posted them on my site last night but forgot to post here;

the rest here -- clicky clicky

oh, and that teeter scares the bejeesus out of me. i want to be able to ride that cleanly by the end of the season.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by frizanko
Chris, have you seen any of the newer stuff the GFRA guys are workin on? What we saw looks like its gonna be super sick...
Down below GP, Above Toilet Bowl... Check it out if ya havent already seen what they're doin...
Hmm, not exactly sure to where you are referring. I think you might be talking about Blue Car, which the GFRA guys are doing. Otherwise, that could be 8-Track, which is being built by someone else.

I have not checked out either of them yet, though. I heard 8-Track is close to being done, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by frizanko
Hey Toshi, where is did you guys find that drop? Doesnt look like any of the ones we were at earlier that day?
there's a section that has three trails running down a hillside, for baby, mama and papa bear. (no, that's not their names.) it wasn't on the path we took earlier in the day, nope.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Hey Y'all,

I just want to make a plug here, so bear with me (don't worry, no spam).

Hood River County derives a substantial amount of revenue from it's forestlands (to the tune of around 30%), and is therefore protective about them. Mostly, they are concerned about fires, damage to timber, and environmental degradation. They believe recreation is appropriate, and have been supportive of mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding, and motorized used.

However, they have decided they need to be more proactive about managing their forests in the face of increasing recreational use, so they have created a citizens' committee, comprised of recreational enthusiasts. This committee, which was just recently formed, will help the County ensure that their timber investment is protected, but that recreation is promoted.

I am one of two bikers on the committee, and I look forward to serving the community. One of the selling points for the County to let people use their land is the economic benefit. I want to be able to personally state that I know riders who come from out of town and spend their $ at local shops and stores, so when you're out visiting, I would encourage all of you to consider:

- filling up for gas
- getting lunch
- swinging by the local bike shops and getting food bars, tubes, gloves, other stuff

This last one is particularly important. The local shops, and the guys and gals who work in them, have done a lot for the PC area, both on the ground and politically. Please support them, and let them know you've come to ride in PC. This is very important.

Knowing that MTBRs are patronizing local shops will allow me to lobby the County for more recreational opportunities for riders. Our $ speak loudly, especially in a community that is so dependent on tourism.

Thanks!! Also, I want to make sure I represent your interests at the County, so please never hesitate to talk to me about PC or other County riding areas.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good point about supporting the local shops. what are our options in the hood river area? websites? addresses?

also, anyone planning on riding/shuttling post canyon this upcoming weekend? i'm putting on new treads and want to try them out on the slippery logs, and will climb if i must, i guess :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
good point about supporting the local shops. what are our options in the hood river area? websites? addresses?

also, anyone planning on riding/shuttling post canyon this upcoming weekend? i'm putting on new treads and want to try them out on the slippery logs, and will climb if i must, i guess :D
My weekend is free so far (finally, I can ride on the weekend!). I've been wanting to go to PC for a while now so I'll go, what day are you planning on going?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by zane
My weekend is free so far (finally, I can ride on the weekend!). I've been wanting to go to PC for a while now so I'll go, what day are you planning on going?
either day is good for me :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
either day is good for me :D
Either day is fine for me too, I guess we'll have to see what day would be best for the rest of the local :monkey: s, so hopefully we can get a good turnout.
Also, what can we do about shuttling?

Is it just me or do not many people ride in the afternoon and evening on weekdays? It's getting pretty hard to find someone else to ride with during the week....
:confused:

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
There are two bike shops in HR that traffic in the types of goods that would interest riders who frequent PC. Both are in downtown HR, on the main drag (Oak Street). To make matters confusing, they are both moving at the end of this month. To make matters real confusing, one is moving into the space being vacated by the other. So, I'll give ya' their future addresses:

Discover Bicycles
http://www.discoverbicycles.com/default.htm
New address: 116 Oak Street

Mountain View Cycles
http://www.mtviewcycles.com/
New address: 205 Oak Street

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
On sunday I supported that taco place by the trailer park they have the best food I have had in a long time. Next time I will fill up with gas there so you guys have my support for sure.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by thruster
On sunday I supported that taco place by the trailer park they have the best food I have had in a long time. Next time I will fill up with gas there so you guys have my support for sure.
Thanks, guys, that's what we like to hear!

It's been raining a fair bit out here, but it's supposed to start drying up tomorrow. I'll be out of town on Friday and Saturday and won't be able to give you an update, but I'm thinking Sunday should be good.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I'm a bit out of the loop on this one, but can I get some directions to PC? Like where to park, where the trailhead(s) are, etc. I don't want to get uber-lost if I head out there this weekend.

Does PC on sunday work for anyone else?

edit: chris- I'll buy some tacos AND get gas in hood river, too

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
I'm a bit out of the loop on this one, but can I get some directions to PC? Like where to park, where the trailhead(s) are, etc. I don't want to get uber-lost if I head out there this weekend.

Does PC on sunday work for anyone else?

edit: chris- I'll buy some tacos AND get gas in hood river, too
Here's some directions I posted in a previous thread:

Directions to the PC TH:
- I-84 eastbound;
- Take exit #62 (the first Hood River exit);
- Go right at the top of the exit;
- Immediately take your first right onto Country Club Road;
- Head up the hill and away from town;
- Turn right onto Post Canyon Drive;
- Wind down into the woods and park where the gravel road starts. Please remember to drive slowly, keep the tunes in check, and otherwise respect the residents along PC Drive.

Have fun! I'm outta' town tomorrow and Saturday, but I'll check this thread on Sat. night to see if I can hook up w/ y'all. Thanks for the support, Zane!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by FlashBullit
But didnt that help you make money.:p
Not really. Most of the monkeys on here around my age probably make a lot more than me. What it did do was allow me to get a govt job out in The Dalles, which means I can live in Hood River. Perhaps it indirectly allows me to increase my riding skills, but with all that money that went to tuition, I could have spent a hell of a lot of time at Whistler and on new bikes!

Sometimes I feel like a freakin' hippie: I take an easy, low-wage job (relative to the profession) so I can live in paradise and spend more time riding. Is that wrong?

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
ah i see that make it hard to get new stuff i see but i may not be a person that will make money off of mtb-ing so i see some what im:confused: still.;)

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by gorgechris
Sometimes I feel like a freakin' hippie: I take an easy, low-wage job (relative to the profession) so I can live in paradise and spend more time riding. Is that wrong?
That's definitelt not wrong, riding is your priority and other aspects of your life are based around it. I've gotton myself into trouble lately due to the high priority I place on riding by NOT doing other things I should be doing (like studying for class). But oh well, at least I got to ride.

Riding on Sunday-

Toshi- you still on for PC on sunday? Also, do you know your way around there or should I so some investigation on trails and such? I also have a couple friends who might come with me, so things should be fun.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Chris you kinda are! I am from the NE (CT) so all I care about is money and someone who gives up money for riding is a hippie....

JUst kidding, what you are is smart and happy. I use to live in Phoenix by myself and I had a job that my hours were totally up to me, I made a decent wage and had all the free time in the world. At times i felt like i was wasting my education or not really going after the whole corp scene, and that I should work harder or something like that.

Well now that I have a job that requires lots of thought, creativity and TIME-i do like it but doing something that gives you freedom to do what you want (ie riding, surfing, running) is the route to go.

I am rambling and being vague but i hope you get the point i am trying to make.

what is the local PDX schedule this weekend? also what time you going to PC?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi- you still on for PC on sunday? Also, do you know your way around there or should I so some investigation on trails and such? I also have a couple friends who might come with me, so things should be fun.
yeah, i'm definitely up for pc on sunday. i've been up there 3? times now, so i kind of know my way around :D . bring your friends, and bring a car, then we can shuttle if i bring my pathfinder as well. :thumb: (as we found out last weekend, 2 bikes on the rack + 2 in the rear + 4 people inside works, if just barely)

as for time, i suggest meeting at 10:30am at the ta truck stop off exit 17 on i-84. i'll be in the purple pathfinder.

anyone up for riding _something_ closer than spokane on saturday?

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
First and foremost, you have to find something you love to do as a creeer, if it allows you to ride more, good on ya...Money is not the be all and end all of life eh...

Me personaly, I'm on line to be a paid FIrefighter in about a year...sure it's alot of school and hard work and I don't get to ride as much as I'd like, but all in all, I made my descision and I haven't even thought of looking back...everything in life is about sacrafices, me personaly, I CANNOT operate at a desk job, I need to be out working, and being active, that's part of the reason I love riding my bike so much, I crave activity... point I'm alluding to, do what makes you happy...

oh yeah, and Jason, Ken sorry, I mixed you guy's up in the pics and in my head, I swear it'll only happen 5 maybe 100 more times :D

cheers

Dave