Quantcast

POS bike computer

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
So I bout a cheap Cateye the other day to hold me over until I have some more funds for wireless, it was working fine for the first ride. (25mi road)
I went to take my bike out on Saturday, and the computer won't sync up with the sensor on my wheel. What the heak? No crashes or anything I took the whole thing off and reinstalled/calibrated it and I still get nothing :mumble:

Is this common for a $30 computer?
Does anyone know if Cateye has a warranty?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What do you mean by "sync"? I know those magnet/sensors are pretty sensitive. Sometimes you've gotta have them dead on. My Topeak computer has worked fine on one ride, then not at all on the next. Not sure if the magnet got bumped between rides or what, but I've gotten used to checking the computer right after I check my tire pressure before every ride.

FWIW, I had a $20 cateye on my old bike that worked great for about 2 years before I broke the mount. Computer/sensor still worked fine, just had no way to mount the display.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
firetoole said:
Time/date work fine but I don't get a readout for speed/distance
So the sensor just isn't seeing the magnet as it spins by? Is it close enough to the sensor? Check your instructions... some of them have to be awfully damn close to work.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
There should be a mark on the sensor that indicates where the magnet has to pass. If the magnet or the sensor weren't completely secure a bump in the road can move them keeping them from working.

J

JRB

I have never had a problem with a Cateye computer except for the magnet or the little electrodes on the mount.