Quantcast

possible purchase of an '04 P1

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Just took my good wheels off the old frame and I've got some problems. I'd had it set up SS for awhile, just spaced out the cassette and used one of the cogs. Super bad idea. The cog has eaten into the freehub body after a few months of riding. Only about a millimeter, but the whole thing is of course all seized up now. I think I'm going to have to dremel or hacksaw the cog off, then I'll see how bad the damage to the freehub is. The worst thing that could happen is that I need a new freehub body, but that's way more of a pain in the ass than I wanted. So if you are going to go SS, don't just space out the cassette. You'll just end up ****ing up you're super smooth nice ass ringle hub that you wish you were riding instead of a crappy ball bearing hub that comes stock on the P1.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Not sure if anyone is paying attention to this post anymore. Wish I could have posted earlier on the bike, but I just finished building it today. Took it out for a short spin before dark ( you don't ride after dark in west philly), and it feels sick so far. Manuals well, barspins are super easy, and it takes corners better than any bike I've ridden. In short, the bike flows really nicely. I can see this being a really good frame for urban but also for 4X as well. I've got a shiver SC, x-drives, avid mech's, and of course the P1 frame. I'm guessing it's around thirty three pounds, so not very light. Assuming I can weasel a digicam-owning friend into taking some photos, I'll post 'em in the burly hardtails thread.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Hmmm your running a Shiver SC on your P1? I have one on my FR bike and since the stock fork is crap I was gonna put the SC on the P1 (when I upgrade to a DC) isn't that too much travel? personally I think anything over 4" is gonna mess with your riding on the street (If you suck like me) Keep me updated on if you like it or not!

Pic from tonight so I didn't completly waste your time..

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
bmx grips work great on mountainbars
i even used my lockons on my bmx bars for a while
the spot where the stem clamps is the only spot the diameter is different

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
NotQuiteJdm said:
Hmmm your running a Shiver SC on your P1? I have one on my FR bike and since the stock fork is crap I was gonna put the SC on the P1 (when I upgrade to a DC) isn't that too much travel? personally I think anything over 4" is gonna mess with your riding on the street (If you suck like me) Keep me updated on if you like it or not!

It's a four inch shiver, 2004. I've been riding it for a few months now on an 01 specialized enduro HT. It's a great fork. I've ridden street and trails. There is no noticeable flex, despite what detractors may say. Most of them think that putting the fork between their legs and bending it means its flexy. It's my first 20mm fork, so maybe that's why it feels stiff to me, but I think it's a damn good fork. And a damn good deal too, like $230 on supergo right now. Only one con, and that is weight. Inverted forks are of course going to flex, unless you make the crown super beefy, which is just what zoke did. I think I'm ranting here, cause it sounds like you've already got a shiver. Anyway, the four inch shiver is cheaper and still slightly lighter than a DJIII. And it has much better internals, for whatever that's worth when you're riding street. I probably wouldn't ride a five inch shiver on a P1 either, but so far my 100mm shiver is really super fun

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
allsk8sno said:
bmx grips work great on mountainbars
i even used my lockons on my bmx bars for a while
the spot where the stem clamps is the only spot the diameter is different
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(Picture me running through the house naked, screaming, and waking everyone up. That's how exited I am about this!)

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
What do people do for good chain tension on the P1. I don't like the idea of a tensioner, cause the hanger is not replaceable. Also, the drops are so shallow, I'm not sure a chain tug will work. Already tried one by surly, but it bottomed before I got any tension. Any ideas would be helpful. Keep in mind I'd eventually like to run a QR wheel instead of the bolt-on that comes stock.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
What do people do for good chain tension on the P1. I don't like the idea of a tensioner, cause the hanger is not replaceable. Also, the drops are so shallow, I'm not sure a chain tug will work. Already tried one by surly, but it bottomed before I got any tension. Any ideas would be helpful. Keep in mind I'd eventually like to run a QR wheel instead of the bolt-on that comes stock.
The only other option I could see would be to just slam the wheel as far forward in the dropouts, by taking away one link or by using a half link.
You may want to try other chain tugs as well.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
PooMan said:
The only other option I could see would be to just slam the wheel as far forward in the dropouts, by taking away one link or by using a half link.
You may want to try other chain tugs as well.
That's a good idea. I remembered seeing something about half-links on thread a few months ago.

I have an idea that is a pain in the ass but could work really well. Feel free to tell me if this is stupid. When taking off the stock parts, I took off the chainring before unbolting the wheels. What I noticed was that I was able to easily put the chainring back into position and bolt it again, allowing me to get alot more tension than I have been able to just yanking on the wheel as I tighten up the wheel bolts in the dropouts. Of course, taking off the bashring and chainring is not ideal just to fix a flat, but it could give some nice tension. I doubt anyone has tried this since it's kinda an oddball way of doing things, but feel free to comment on the idea.

And of course, I should just look around at some other chain tugs. It's just that the P1 has silly short dropouts and most chain tugs won't work with a QR rear wheel. So I'm kinda doubtful on my prospects there.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
That's a good idea. I remembered seeing something about half-links on thread a few months ago.

I have an idea that is a pain in the ass but could work really well. Feel free to tell me if this is stupid. When taking off the stock parts, I took off the chainring before unbolting the wheels. What I noticed was that I was able to easily put the chainring back into position and bolt it again, allowing me to get alot more tension than I have been able to just yanking on the wheel as I tighten up the wheel bolts in the dropouts. Of course, taking off the bashring and chainring is not ideal just to fix a flat, but it could give some nice tension. I doubt anyone has tried this since it's kinda an oddball way of doing things, but feel free to comment on the idea.

And of course, I should just look around at some other chain tugs. It's just that the P1 has silly short dropouts and most chain tugs won't work with a QR rear wheel. So I'm kinda doubtful on my prospects there.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying there. But I will say that I would suggest not using a QR rear wheel, it will make your life harder. I will also say that you should check out www.danscomp.com for chain tugs. They are all bmx parts, but no mtb companies make good parts anyway, save for evil and deity.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
taking my P.1 in tomorrow to put on my NEW Avid Juicy Sevens AND my NEW Funn Fork!!!!!!!!
I'm sooooo exited!
will post picks!

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
PooMan said:
taking my P.1 in tomorrow to put on my NEW Avid Juicy Sevens AND my NEW Funn Fork!!!!!!!!
I'm sooooo exited!
will post picks!
That's a nice setup. I think your wrists are going to hurt though. Do you think that a QR rear wheel will wiggle too much and loosen the chain?

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
That's a nice setup. I think your wrists are going to hurt though. Do you think that a QR rear wheel will wiggle too much and loosen the chain?
absolutely, my friend has a steel head, singlespeed, with a QR, and he has to stop every fifteen minutes to pul the wheel back for chain tension. believe me, huge pain in the butt

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
PooMan said:
absolutely, my friend has a steel head, singlespeed, with a QR, and he has to stop every fifteen minutes to pul the wheel back for chain tension. believe me, huge pain in the butt
uhh... ****ty. I saw some super basic chain tensioner in the dans comp catalog that might help. The part that rings the axle is nice and thin, so it might be able to slip between the dropout and hub on the inside of the frame, meaning that you don't have too worry about tugging on the skewer to get tension. They're about two bucks each, so it might be worth a try.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
for another hundred bucks or so a New Evil DOC is not a bad idea .Plus everyone owns a p bike only those special somebodys have an evil. (but if that is the bike you want just do one thing on it HAVE FUN)

Insert Sublimiinal Message Here : Evil DOC Evil DOC Evil DOC

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I agree the evil looked nice. From the geometry chart, it looked really long though. And the idea of a bike that can do everything well is suspect. I rode a medium specialized enduro HT for awhile as a do-it-all bike. It worked alright, but was never really good at just one thing. Too heavy for XC, cs too short for climbing, tt too long for urban and DJ's, etc...

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
guess who got his bike back
went riding as soon as I got it, freakin sweet
i'll have pics up later, but now I'm going riding again

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
sorry bout the lack of pics so far, camera ain't workin quite right

but anyway, now that I'm used to sore wrists and bruised hands, the bike is sweet. I feel like I have so much more control with the rigid fork, as well as a lot more pop, considering I am not just pushing down the suspension when I bunnyhop. And the juicy seven is sweet, just not broken in yet.

Pics soon, hopefully.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I'd like to see those pics. I'm thinking about a planet X kniffen. The shiver is heavy and the bike doesn't feels so balanced the moment.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
hacksaw said:
for another hundred bucks or so a New Evil DOC is not a bad idea .Plus everyone owns a p bike only those special somebodys have an evil. (but if that is the bike you want just do one thing on it HAVE FUN)
pretty soon everybody will own a DOC
and I bought the bike before I knew that the DOC was coming out.
I liked the Imp and the sovereign, but for the money the P.1 couldn't be beat.
My next frame will either be a DOC or a BLKMRKT. Lovin' the BMX style mountain bikes. Peace for now.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
PooMan said:
I was thinking about it today, and why don't I just ride a BMX?
oh well...
Sometimes I think the same thing, but then I realize I'm too old for a BMX. Nice bike BTW, very clean looking.