Quantcast

Possible rear hub woes

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Anybody ever have a rear hub go out? Mine is sounding like a swarm of angry bees when I'm coasting at high speed downhill. As soon as I start to pedal, the buzzing goes away.

Is it possible to fix rear hubs? Or will I have to resign myself to buying a new hub?

TIA.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:
Anybody ever have a rear hub go out? Mine is sounding like a swarm of angry bees when I'm coasting at high speed downhill. As soon as I start to pedal, the buzzing goes away.

Is it possible to fix rear hubs? Or will I have to resign myself to buying a new hub?

TIA.
I just had similar. Replacing the free-wheel fixed it. got so bad before i had to fix it that the chain would bunch up if i didn't pedal all the time. felt like an XC fixie. :)

J

JRB

When freehubs die, the pedals will turn when you aren't pedaling. What kind of hub? If it's a hugi, hope, or king, you could lube it up. Sounds like a noisy freehub. Did someone borrow your bike and tell you about the noise??? :think:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
As long as it's just noise and not your chain packing up, or any sort of weird wobble, you should prolly be able to just lube up the pawls and keep riding.
That's something that should be done with regular maintanance anyway.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Put your bike on the stand, set it to the biggest cog, use the cranks to get your rear wheel going at a good clip and let go of the pedal. If your pedals move a lot, your freehub is fried. If the freewheel mechanism works as it should (and your pedals don't move), then just lube everything really well and see if that fixes your noise problem.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
loco said:
When freehubs die, the pedals will turn when you aren't pedaling. What kind of hub? If it's a hugi, hope, or king, you could lube it up. Sounds like a noisy freehub. Did someone borrow your bike and tell you about the noise??? :think:
When mine started to go I first had the awful buzzing noise. Then a few weeks later the pedals started to travel with the bike when I was pushing it. Finally it broke completely and I had to pedal all the time (day I got eaten by the dog, funnily enough)...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't have the noise issue, but I do have some drag. I'm going to pull it apart at some point and hopefully a good cleaning/greasing will cure things.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Since S.S. managed not to tell anyone what hub he is running..... He has those funky crossmax wheels, so the hub is a mavic. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't sound like a bunch of angry bees.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I had one go out 2 years ago. It was the kind with the 3 little teeth that were in the center that clicked around in side the gears that were machined into the hub body... long story short, it was a price hub that blew ip inside of a year.

ALways was noisy, but started to drag toward the end of its life... I opened it up a few times to lube it with some non wax very thin lube (prolink) as reccomended by the website. That would help a little but then I'd be back with the dragging sagging chain in a week. Eventually the drag got so bad that my chain would start winding up even if I coasted for a few seconds.

I threw it directly in the trash can and had the rim laced to my spare XT hub. I havent had a hub problem in 2 years. Shimano hubs = reliable as hell. I'll be sticking with them until they die.

J

JRB

Shimano = I have broken 2 XTR freehubs

I really like Hope hubs myself. I like Hugi mech, but since the hub broke, I have to say that I am not sure that I am in love. Their customer service is great though.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
For the record, mine is an XT hub, new in Mar. 2004. Lasted from then until Jun/July 2005. I do beat on it at least twice a week during the season, though. Oh, I also had to replace the bearings and one of the cones in addition to the freewheel.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
loco said:
Shimano = I have broken 2 XTR freehubs

I really like Hope hubs myself. I like Hugi mech, but since the hub broke, I have to say that I am not sure that I am in love. Their customer service is great though.
I like em, quiet, reliable (for me so far, 2.5 years no problems). The only problem I have is the weight :blah:, but I guess it doesnt matter all that much on a 34-35+ lb bike.

Shibbidy-jibbidy

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Thanks to all you :monkey:s - I tore into the freehub and cleaned and lubed. Tightened things up a bit (there was some slop in the hub).

Figured while I was at it, I might as well clean up the front hub too.

And then I cleaned my rotors.

This sounds alot like maintenance. :think:

I'll take it out on the trail and see if it fixed my problem.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
dh girlie said:
Hmmmm...my lovely PINK CK hubs buzz...such a LOVELY sound! :p
Yeah - I've always had that nice pawl/gear buzz. This was much different and intermittent. Hopefully it's gone. When you're going down singletrack at 30mph and strange noises start coming from the hub, I tend to get concerned. :D

Check out the elevation profile of our Sunday ride. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude, that's a huge drop right before mile 18! Was it to flat or was there a tranny? Got pics?!

Gnarly... A 2000ft road gap...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - I've always had that nice pawl/gear buzz. This was much different and intermittent. Hopefully it's gone. When you're going down singletrack at 30mph and strange noises start coming from the hub, I tend to get concerned. :D

Check out the elevation profile of our Sunday ride. :thumb:

I just llllooooovvve that sound...so much that I will pedal real real fast and then stop just to hear it whhhhhiiiiiirrrrrrr....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Dude, that's a huge drop right before mile 18! Was it to flat or was there a tranny? Got pics?!

Gnarly... A 2000ft road gap...
And we were all on XC bikes. One was even riding a hardtail! :thumb:

Actually, my buddy "forgot" to turn his GPS/computer/whatever thingie on when we stopped at the gondola to admire the scantily clad women.

Until we got to the bottom of the epic descent. :rolleyes:

Our other buddy lost his computer on the descent. :D