Quantcast

Possible South East Race Series in 2011

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
One thing to consider and I am not advocating either side, plus am all for growth, but growth can come at a cost in the minds of some people. From the fan or racer perspective think of NASCAR (I know it's not really apples to apples), it this huge machine and at least for me, I don't buy into it. I am more of a low key grassroots guy whom prefers to operate outside the big machine, it's simple and sticks to the fundamentals. The machine only makes one or two people rich at the expense of the die hard enthusiast and gets very complicated quickly. (I DON'T like NASCAR or anything it stands for....sorry if that offends anyone).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Spreading info about a race (or series) requires some things that you would think are blatently obvious. First and foremost is to pick up a phone and call every shop in a 10 state radius and beg them to post a flyer and/or handout...multiple times. Also, getting local riders to print a few off and drop at riding spots and shops without a fax who are too lazy to print one.

Also, thinking the internet will save your race or allow you to "real-time" adjust ANYTHING is bad. Set a date(s), stick to it and the schedule for it and do it 9 months to a year in advance.

Changing dates, times, schedules even 3 months out screws you up. Plan it, stay with it and the riders will stay with you. You can't change things online. It's not what the internet is for. :D

If we're all going to do this, it's got to start now. Companies are accepting bids for sponsorship beginning Aug. 15 and will stop taking most all bids Nov. 15. Dollars and product will be allocated by Dec. 15 for 2011. After that, you get crumbs.

Do it now or start planning for 2012. :D

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
If there is a cool one page race flyer i can print off & make copies i'll post them up at bike shops in Knoxville & Morristown for the next Beech race.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If there is a cool one page race flyer i can print off & make copies i'll post them up at bike shops in Knoxville & Morristown for the next Beech race.
That helps more than the net. On the Yahoo group page, I used to always save the event flyers for people to use at shops, but Dirty Bird's the only one I've seen with an actual flyer in a while.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When we did the King of Lake series all we gave out was medals at the races and trophies for the overalls. Prizes are forgotten in a week or less but having a decent size trophy on the mantle will last and last.
I have always liked number plates. It represents our sport since we always use number plates, you can hang it on the wall, and its cheap for promoters.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Look for DB posters at shops across the region. Boone has been blanketed and I've got street team headed for Winston, Asheville, and Greenville in the next few days. Anyone that has somewhere they'd like to put one up feel free to PM me and I'll try to send some your way.

some good stuff in this thread for sure. Trying to plan way ahead for anything we do next year. This year is coming together but it was hard to get organized so late. Butch makes good points.

Jun 11, 2004
I have always liked number plates. It represents our sport since we always use number plates, you can hang it on the wall, and its cheap for promoters.
Same here....I've only been racing a couple of years now, but have kept every number plate.