Quantcast

Possible upgrades for a begginer

fmfootball13

Chimp
Mar 26, 2005
I have a 2004 Specialized Hardrock Comp and i have been riding some freeride and mostly singletrack for about a year and i wanted to know maybe what upgrades i should put on it

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I just went through the same thing with my haro extreme x1. I don't know what level components come on your bike but with my haro it was pretty easy. What I did was try to remember everything I had problems with last year that I know were due to my bike and not my lack of ability. I complained a lot last year about shifting problems so I fixed the problem this year with a new SRAM X9 derailleur and some X7 trigger shifters. That's how I did my upgrading. A good motto is "always upgrade, never replace."

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
The best upgrade would be to save your money and get a new bike. 2K can get you a hell of a lot these days and it would cost you that much to really "upgrade" your hardrock.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Yep, like said above. Replace what breaks and buy a new better bike later.

Upgrading is a lose-lose situation and cost much more in the long run.

I have a 03 Hardrock Pro (disk) and replaced the cranks(I bent them) and seat (personal preference and I had it on old bike) and had a heavier set of wheels built up (becuase I am fat)

If I want a bike that is much better I am better off buying a new bike. THough I can see myself having this bike for years. :) I like it.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I agree:
Beat the crap out of your current bike. Then buy something like a year old Kona Stinky when you can afford it......cheaper and better in the long run