Quantcast

Post a picture of your dog.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
IMG_20200109_221939_576.jpg

These are Buster, a long hair Daschund, and Thriller, a border collie.

We got Buster as a gift for my wife four years ago, as a puppy. And Thriller came home one year after, as a refugee, after his previous owner kept him chained without shelter and poorly fed for over six months. He was in such a bad shape I could grab his waist with my two hands and count his ribs, even when he was over a year old and 30 inches tall. The little Daschund had to teach him how to share, how to play and how to relate to our four cats. Today he's my trail dog, you can actually see him smiling as he rushes through the trails to follow me.

Buster would certainly like to follow us, but since he's overweight and short legged he gets tired too fast, so he gets his fare of outdoors along my son's bike or when my wife goes trail running.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Does that setup keep the doggo warm?

My Boxer Vizsla mix gets cold super easy below 45 freedom degrees. The fleece lined jacket I have for him doesn't seem to help. Of course when he is active he is always warm, you can actually feel the heat radiating off of him, but once he stops moving or gets wet he immediately shivers. I actually have keep heated blankets on the couch and bed for him in the winter as 65 degrees in the house is too cold for him.

Of course he also overheats super easily in the sun. He doesn't have a super short boxer snout so I assume it is just the lack of undercoat. Despite being super athletic I can't seem to take him out in the woods much as he always seems to freeze or cook.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Does that setup keep the doggo warm?

My Boxer Vizsla mix gets cold super easy below 45 freedom degrees. The fleece lined jacket I have for him doesn't seem to help. Of course when he is active he is always warm, you can actually feel the heat radiating off of him, but once he stops moving or gets wet he immediately shivers. I actually have keep heated blankets on the couch and bed for him in the winter as 65 degrees in the house is too cold for him.

Of course he also overheats super easily in the sun. He doesn't have a super short boxer snout so I assume it is just the lack of undercoat. Despite being super athletic I can't seem to take him out in the woods much as he always seems to freeze or cook.
She's usually ok down to 15F, after that it's short outing and no stopping.

She actually have more coats than me.

One Ruffwear https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-apparel/products/cold-weather-dog-jacket-cloud-chaser

And two Chilly Dog, the Great white north and Trailblazer.

When it's really cold she wears the Ruffwear as first layer and either one of the Chilly Dog depending how cold it is. Also, she wears Muttluks boots below 15F. https://muttluks.ca/

It's a chore to dress her and she doesn't like the boots.

As for summer, she is really good in the heat, but not the humidity. She can do long rides in the 90s as long as there is water to bath in.

Hope that helps.