Quantcast

Post an old photo of you DH'ing on a bike that was too small

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The seat tube was so ridiculous on that V-Tach. Had a 400mm seat post for when I needed to pedal it, pretty sure my ass was behind the rear hub when it was all the way up.

Edit: that fuckin' thing...

It's little brother was not much better.
Lg 2006 Delirium-T (Wotan if anybody be wondering)

Knolly_ 003b.JPG

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That looks terrifying. How big was the drop? Makes me wonder if the current enderpo bikes could survive hits like that.
The wall about 3 m high, vertical distance drop off to landing about 1 m more? The sketchy thing was the run in and landing, both really short and steep.

Is that an Ellsworth? If yes, glad you are still alive!
No, that's a 2004 Elan Able Four - classic early '00s freeride bike, about 18 kg, which should also answer @shelteringsky 's second question. This was a Freeride special bike test for Mountainbike Revue, Austria's mtb mag of that period. Other bikes were a Kona Stinky DeeLux, a Spesh Demo 9, a Corratec Bump Machine and a HiTec SLK. All af them above 18 kg if I remember correctly. :D

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Some of these drops are gnarly! Nice.

Tiny bikes and some lol moments. Mostly DH. A trip down memory lane.

Even at just an even 6', the 26" bikes are so small in comparison to the more right-sized 29" bikes with contemporary geometry. The technological improvements (suspension, durability, brakes) from the early 90s to the mid-aughts were amazing, but the sizing and geometry changes over the past 10 years have done more for my riding than any increase in number of available gears or ubiquitous dropper posts ever could do.

1625793729448-90a3a9da-708a-43e9-9125-c6e360d73e46.jpg

1528066797694-1bc6705d-b053-4c14-954a-0926cd0631ca (Large).jpg

killinton 04 big.jpg

Sugarbush-2011.png

PatsPeakMud.png

20120923_072322.jpg

20120922_081040.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
yep, first gen vpx, and thats why I posted it. I liked it but it wasnt my dh bike
Hehehe, I always liked the pics you posted on emptybeer. Still have my VPX somewhere. Should fix it up and take it for a ride. It is the definition of unridabru: 26", VPP, too short TT, Sherman fork, Juicy brakes, Nevegal tires (hey, they were $5 a pop), Hope hubs (but 823 rims).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hehehe, I always liked the pics you posted on emptybeer. Still have my VPX somewhere. Should fix it up and take it for a ride. It is the definition of unridabru: 26", VPP, too short TT, Sherman fork, Juicy brakes, Nevegal tires (hey, they were $5 a pop), Hope hubs (but 823 rims).
I got intense to make some dropouts that lowered the rear end, which that bike badly needed. Don't know if you ever saw or managed to get a pair but they improved that geo quite a bit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I got intense to make some dropouts that lowered the rear end, which that bike badly needed. Don't know if you ever saw or managed to get a pair but they improved that geo quite a bit.
Remember, I tried to get a group order together as I had lined up a local machine shop to make something similar? That was just at the time when Jeff announced that he had designed slacker DOs, so I went with those instead. Have a set on the Uzzi and one on the Socom. Rode the VPX regularly until 4 years ago when I got a last gen 26" Uzzi VP. Different bikes though, the VPX is a skinny and drop master IMO, old school freeride baby!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Great thread!

Does anyone know some reach numbers of the stuff they rode way back when?
The hardtail I raced was a bit under 400mm but all sizes had pretty much the same reach so I went with a 16" frame.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
A buddy of mine is looking for a set of the slack Uzzi dropouts for a rebuild project.
If anybody has a line on a pair, gimme a yell.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Probably snapped the pivot bolt in a savage corner like that:-)
You bet i did. Multiple times... finally swapped lower bolt for a steel one. Anyway I ordered large one, and they sent me medium one with Lsize sticker. Bastards... :D This frame was a complete turd.
11.png

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
You bet i did. Multiple times... finally swapped lower bolt for a steel one. Anyway I ordered large one, and they sent me medium one with Lsize sticker. Bastards... :D This frame was a complete turd.
View attachment 168393
I was living in whistler their first year on the market and wanted the whole line up so badly... until about week 3 when you saw them all limping off the hill and in the repair stands

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
neat looking bike

RB Boxter?
RB Bikes. At the time they made some pretty good DH bikes that were popular in Europe. They even made a prototype with a gearbox at one point (Honda/Pete Speed-style).

boxster_bike.jpg

Last edited:

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Come on Kidwoo, where are the pictures from Post Canyon with the visor in your face? :D

Here's me on a Large "new" Bullit back in like what, 2006 or something? Like the bikes, those jumps are a lot bigger now too, LOL.
Pacifica Jump 20211213_103602.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes, I know the owner of the company, and I have ridden most of their DH frames, even some prototypes, sadly they no longer are making any MTB frames, so I ride commencal 29/27, but the boxter with modern geometry would be awesome. They even had DH frame with a transmission, it was superb: https://www.rb-bike.cz/userfiles/speed_revoluzzer_1491161248.pdf but it was only one proptotype
They looked awesome but all the ones I have seen in the flesh were fairly burly, we are talking 20 kg burly. Do you have an idea of the frame only weight of the Boxster?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Come on Kidwoo, where are the pictures from Post Canyon with the visor in your face? :D
Calm
Cool
Collected

And blind as fuck

visorstill.JPG

what I'm aiming at in theory

visor2.JPG

crappy still from crappy vid

for those that don't know: fell on my face a day earlier and broke the center mount for my visor. I had it taped but it flopped down into my face as I was rolling up this lip of the biggest jump at post canyon at the time (which is pretty big). Literally hit the thing blind.

Last edited: