Quantcast

Post an old photo of you DH'ing on a bike that was too small

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I for one can't believe we survived with all the externally-routed cables. But somehow, we made it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yep, sure is, good eye. Quite different these days!

Yeah the fact that you can't see the landing in the pic should be some indication. Plenty of big stuff there these days too!
I remember being stoked the first time I cleared that. I was trying to talk myself into hitting the current iteration last summer with my orthopedic surgeon's voice in the back of my head saying NOPE.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Having spent time on both, the 2mx was dramatically better :P
don't lie to yourself man...just accept it :D

Those were fun days reading everyone's comments talking about your imperial and you trying to correct them. Speaking of, do you have any of those old videos you made back in the day? I remember watching them in college and wishing I hadn't moved!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Having spent time on both, the 2mx was dramatically better :P
BMXtb for the win.

Someone posted about riding a hardtail at Big Bear in the Lounge today. I recall several of us on the various Nicolai hardtails riding the lifts... @BMXman had a 2MX, Rabie and I had BMXs, and sometime @Metal got hold of a 2MX that he ran singlespeed.

15.75" stays were rad in the big, loose, sweepy dirt road corners...:panic:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
BMXtb for the win.

Someone posted about riding a hardtail at Big Bear in the Lounge today. I recall several of us on the various Nicolai hardtails riding the lifts... @BMXman had a 2MX, Rabie and I had BMXs, and sometime @Metal got hold of a 2MX that he ran singlespeed.

15.75" stays were rad in the big, loose, sweepy dirt road corners...:panic:
Always wanted a BMXTB... would have gotten that next had my riding not tailed off around that time.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah we loved doing it, especially on the secret twisty forest trails. But the race courses were pretty fun, too...keeping it within the envelope on those turns was a fight.

The 2MX was cooler, but man...a lot of extra weight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Plenty of big stuff there these days too!
They shrunk all the big stuff last time I was there. They moved all those big lips way way closer to the landings. I rode them comfortably on my trail bike, something I never would have done with the OG stuff.

People forget or never saw how awesome those things used to be before they got the shrink ray.

john.JPG

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no, thankee.
That jump above and the one with my visor in my face are still two of the funnest jumps I've ever hit in my life. I literally drove to post canyon just to ride those as soon as I saw pics of them. And that was a fucking PUBLIC COUNTY PARK :rofl:. You know, baseball diamonds, swingsets, 40ft doubles with boosty 7ft tall lips.....all the same really.

Keeping with the theme: Imma bout to do a monster thread of all the videos I ever made, mostly because I was just going through old hard drives trying to find stuff I hadn't watched in eons. I need to host them somewhere though and vimeo has weekly limits. Here's one I got so far

Highlights:
-me opening and closing with eating shit trying some fancy whoop moves
-Post canyon n' big jumpies
-my friend John who gave up on fun and just pedals a 29er on strava now as his punishment for sucking
- all bikes too small, even mine
-dem skinny ass bars :rofl:
- a friend's backyard that we absolutely destroyed for a few years
-general 2007 lookin shit
-totem (so heavy)

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Calm
Cool
Collected

And blind as fuck

View attachment 168763

crappy still from crappy vid

for those that don't know: fell on my face a day earlier and broke the center mount for my visor. I had it taped but it flopped down into my face as I was rolling up this lip of the biggest jump at post canyon at the time (which is pretty big). Literally hit the thing blind.
Dude, you are even more nuts than I thought! I looked at these jumps and some of my riding buddies hit them
They shrunk all the big stuff last time I was there. They moved all those big lips way way closer to the landings. I rode them comfortably on my trail bike, something I never would have done with the OG stuff.

People forget or never saw how awesome those things used to be before they got the shrink ray.

View attachment 168780
I saw those and was thinking .... nope! Way over my skillset. So props to you for hitting them!

Wasn't there one episode of Drop In (5?) where they sessioned these jumps basically for the whole episode?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Oof. Here's an oldie from the Hcor days. One of the many spots we were chased out of, this one in the middle of a state park in the mostly densely populated shithole on the East Coast, Long Island.

Anyway, 2003. Lots of baggie jeans and roach armor. Freeride bikes. Ugly jumps. Uglier steeze. And in spite of this thread, I'm on the white DHR that was too big for me.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oof. Here's an oldie from the Hcor days. One of the many spots we were chased out of, this one in the middle of a state park in the mostly densely populated shithole on the East Coast, Long Island.

Anyway, 2003. Lots of baggie jeans and roach armor. Freeride bikes. Ugly jumps. Uglier steeze. And in spite of this thread, I'm on the white DHR that was too big for me.

Baggie jeans over "matching kit" any day! Major nostalgia seeing that. Pretty sure my steeze is still stuck in 2003.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That jump above and the one with my visor in my face are still two of the funnest jumps I've ever hit in my life. I literally drove to post canyon just to ride those as soon as I saw pics of them. And that was a fucking PUBLIC COUNTY PARK :rofl:. You know, baseball diamonds, swingsets, 40ft doubles with boosty 7ft tall lips.....all the same really.

Keeping with the theme: Imma bout to do a monster thread of all the videos I ever made, mostly because I was just going through old hard drives trying to find stuff I hadn't watched in eons. I need to host them somewhere though and vimeo has weekly limits. Here's one I got so far

Highlights:
-me opening and closing with eating shit trying some fancy whoop moves
-Post canyon n' big jumpies
-my friend John who gave up on fun and just pedals a 29er on strava now as his punishment for sucking
- all bikes too small, even mine
-dem skinny ass bars :rofl:
- a friend's backyard that we absolutely destroyed for a few years
-general 2007 lookin shit
-totem (so heavy)

That was Top Notch Brother,Loved it. Above my Skill Level. I Love putting a riding style to a Handle. Pictures,Video even better. For a Bike Site,that is what put’s everything in perspective,well lest we forget our Dog’s. I tried to check frame and fork combo,but let go and just watched it. Us Bike Geeks.

Last,I am no longer going to think of that strange frog ass avatar of your’s when I see you’re Handle. I will now think of that sweet gap at the park. It really does fell better.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The frog ass is better in my opinion. If we're being honest.
Brother,If? So,you probably also say, “To tell you the truth”. These are two statements that should never be spoken.

When you say that,you put into doubt how much you‘re Word is Worth.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I wish I could click my tables like back then!

No baggy jeans here but I got some white sunnies with a full face

View attachment 168829
Lockin good Brother! Love the angle of the shot. I think the white shades look good on you. I could not have pulled it off. Love the feet tweakin. What is that drivetrain? Race Face Cranks. Then what?
Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Lockin good Brother! Love the angle of the shot. I think the white shades look good on you. I could not have pulled it off. Love the feet tweakin. What is that drivetrain? Race Face Cranks. Then what?
Avy
Thanks Avy!

I think I had a 888 fork, Manitou Swinger 4 or 6, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Magic Deemax front wheel, Azonic bar, a white plastic Fizik Freek saddle, X9 dérailler? I ran whatever I could get my hands on and broke a lot of stuff back then.

@kidwoo Looking at old pics, I ran the full face and sunnies whenever I could. Only issue is, I still do it on occasion, haha.

I think that was a 415mm reach bike and some solid baggy jeans.

1639643367783.jpeg

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Last edited: