Quantcast

Post an old photo of you DH'ing on a bike that was too small

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They shrunk all the big stuff last time I was there. They moved all those big lips way way closer to the landings. I rode them comfortably on my trail bike, something I never would have done with the OG stuff.

People forget or never saw how awesome those things used to be before they got the shrink ray.

View attachment 168780
How far up do you hit the tree if you do the one in the foreground? Pretty high it seems?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Its a lot for a bike that is a bit shit imo, but they have a niche and people crave them so they will probs get it.
I remember,did’nt they have pivot problems? Is there a link for me? 2500 sounds way high.
Avy

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, I'll let you know when I get a line on BMXman's old Nicolai Nucleon, then?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
bikes never owned:

german/eastern block ANYTHING
You missed out on Alutech? Unbelievable!

But seriously, they made/make fairly good bikes. Was in the process of ordering their normal Wildsau when the job opportunity in the US arose, so I got my first Uzzi instead.

You would have appreciated that bike, burly, adjustable geometry, 1.5 HT.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You missed out on Alutech? Unbelievable!

But seriously, they made/make fairly good bikes. Was in the process of ordering their normal Wildsau when the job opportunity in the US arose, so I got my first Uzzi instead.

You would have appreciated that bike, burly, adjustable geometry, 1.5 HT.
That's funny, I knew the brand back in the day, but not those models.
They look like Ellsworths on coke & steroids.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Their current platform looks good and apparently also works very well. Sadly not made in Germany anymore.
They offer e-bike and Pinion options of it too!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Their current platform looks good and apparently also works very well. Sadly not made in Germany anymore.

That's actually sorta hawt.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

I'd totally hit that. Perhaps with a water bottle mount on the top tube near the seat post/tube? If my water bottle was that accessible, do you know how much MOAR water (whiskey) i'd drink?!?!!? Not sexy, but for Bike Vault submissions, I'd remove said Whiskey bottle. :D

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Was at that race. Only thing sketchier than early 2000s bikes was the down loading on that old ass chair lift after the freeride competition. Pretty sure you are not supposed to load that many chairs going back down.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

The seat tube was so ridiculous on that V-Tach. Had a 400mm seat post for when I needed to pedal it, pretty sure my ass was behind the rear hub when it was all the way up.

Edit: that fuckin' thing...

How did you like it DownHill?
Avy

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are you talking about this one?

That's not Blood Doner. (Edit: to be clear, I'm referring to jackalope's photo, not the ones kidwoo snuck in above me!) There were no jumps on the road the BD gap gapped. If it was in the Vancouver area, maybe the sideshow drop over Air Supply?

Here's what's left of the Blood Doner gap.
View attachment 169560
WTF happened to the forest up there? Was it logged? Is that the takeoff?

@kidwoo - not sure if I am tracking properly but huge props if you did that blood doner gap, I stood on that thing and it made me sick back in it's day...

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^classic! i used to ride woodlot a couple times a week when i lived in the valley. loved that place. evidently the kk spiral was was rebuilt at some point; OG iteration was much more "rustic". the BD road gap was after my time as well; that's a monster.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

@kidwoo - not sure if I am tracking properly but huge props if you did that blood doner gap, I stood on that thing and it made me sick back in it's day...
:D

bloodwoo.JPG

the canookers will correct me if need be but that whole area is a timber plot. All the trails were/are on borrowed time between harvests

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
^classic! i used to ride woodlot a couple times a week when i lived in the valley. loved that place. evidently the CC spiral was was rebuilt at some point; OG iteration was much more "rustic". the BD road gap was after my time as well; that's a monster.
Man, if I could tell you how excited I was to go up into that forest at that time. I grew up on the east coast and had wanted to ride 'the shore' since I started riding bikes. I know it wasn't 'the shore' but it was the same type of trails. Def a great memory.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Interesting enough my first time pushing up the woodlot they had signs up alerting trail users to decomposing bodies in the woods which were being used for forensic research students. That was a pretty gnarly sign to encounter as you approach the trails...Anyone remember that?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.

The seat tube was so ridiculous on that V-Tach. Had a 400mm seat post for when I needed to pedal it, pretty sure my ass was behind the rear hub when it was all the way up.

Edit: that fuckin' thing...

It's been said before, but the whole seat tube angle vs head angle switcheroo still makes me laff.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
It's an operational woodlot
That's the road gap landing in my photo. The launch is gone. Only the top 100m or so of BD was affected by the logging.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I finally understood why the Norcos and Coves had high BBs and steep head angles.
cuz canadians are stupid?

never an excuse for that shit

I rode the same stuff and thought "I have no idea why these fools make bikes like that"

Plenty of reasons for shorter travel more efficient bikes but that BB nonsense belongs the past, to be ridiculed today in the same manner I did back then. I remember thinking my dh bike was overkill for some of it too but ain't no 16" BB gonna fix that

I rode that joint just fine on an 08 demo 8, so I know you could have. Yeah a shorter travel bike would have been better on the jumpy stuff but there's some legit fun high speed rowdy too. Well......high speed if you're not on a penny farthing cove/norco

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
cuz canadians are stupid?

never an excuse for that shit

I rode the same stuff and thought "I have no idea why these fools make bikes like that"

Plenty of reasons for shorter travel more efficient bikes but that BB nonsense belongs the past, to be ridiculed today in the same manner I did back then. I remember thinking my dh bike was overkill for some of it too but ain't no 16" BB gonna fix that

I rode that joint just fine on an 08 demo 8, so I know you could have. Yeah a shorter travel bike would have been better on the jumpy stuff but there's some legit fun high speed rowdy too. Well......high speed if you're not on a penny farthing cove/norco
Haha, their geo made more sense in that moment more than ever before. I finally understood the designers’ philosophy…. Understood not agreed.

I rode it fine and really liked that place but my slack and low setup was a lot of bike on those skinnies and rollercoaster ladder bridges. That gold dirt was incredible in the wet though. Pemberton was a lot more fun on my bike.

Many years prior I also finally understood why nobody ran a big ring and everyone ran a trials bash guard with saw teeth for pedaling over logs. Riding in Tucson or Durango was nothing like up there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think I understand the problem. I call those IQ tests.

We need to talk about your test results....
Never understood that shit. Maybe if you lived in the Everglades and needed to manufacture a riding surface and fun. But not in mountains with awesome dirt/rocks/roots to play with.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Never understood that shit. Maybe if you lived in the Everglades and needed to manufacture a riding surface and fun. But not in mountains with awesome dirt/rocks/roots to play with.
I get that it evolved from getting over wet bogs on THE SHORE!!!!, but the amount of time it takes vs. lifespan of building circus tricks instead of just putting a trail somewhere around it is mind boggling.

You can tell a nation free of medical debt has too much time on their hands. Here we build trails fast because we'll either be dead from ailments we can't cover treatment for, or because we worked ourselves into the grave early to pay off the ones we did. Ain't got no time to be dicking around at 0.5 km/h on some dick smasher 10ft up.

But yeah you live in pretty much the same ecosystem. Exit 27: wood stuff but fun and fast. Up norf: LOL

Last edited: