Quantcast

Post Canyon = Muddy, Syncline = AWESOME

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
We headed up to hood river yesterday, only to find out that it was a muddy mess. The new step-up was fun (damp, but ridable), but the other trails were a total mess. So, we headed across the river to syncline.....

And found out that it was SUNNY! The trails were actually dusty, but fast as hell. It lightly sprinkled for a few minutes and then the sun resumed. I shot some good scenery pics, I can post them if anyone's interested.... But a crappy riding day turned into a good day.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
zane said:
We headed up to hood river yesterday, only to find out that it was a muddy mess. The new step-up was fun (damp, but ridable), but the other trails were a total mess. So, we headed across the river to syncline.....

And found out that it was SUNNY! The trails were actually dusty, but fast as hell. It lightly sprinkled for a few minutes and then the sun resumed. I shot some good scenery pics, I can post them if anyone's interested.... But a crappy riding day turned into a good day.
Post them when you have a chance please. Trailhacker and I are heading out there the day after 4th of July for some riding :)

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Snacks said:
Post them when you have a chance please. Trailhacker and I are heading out there the day after 4th of July for some riding :)
I'll try to post them tonight, but more likely it'll be tomorrow.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
vibiker said:
Zane,
With your experience at Post, how much warm weather do you think is needed before it is good and dry(er) again?
As long as it doesn't rain for a week or so most things are ridable , but I think it'll take a few weeks of warm, dry weather for the trails to be back to perfect.

That being said, I might give PC a shot again this weekend if this weather keeps up....

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Zane-
Have many new things been built at PC since last summer? I think last time I was there they had just built that big wood drop at the bottom of egghunt. I'm going to be coming back to that Vancouver on the 27th, so we should go ride that weekend or something. Also... do you know what other local trails are still around. Ive heard talk of lots of them being gone... larch, jones creek, and wildcat being the main ones.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I know they're not action pics, but this gives a general idea of syncline's terrain. Dry, rocky and downhill. The "crybaby" trail is along the edge of the pictured cliff, it's just about 100% downhill. Just watch out for the X-country guys and hikers.

If you do ride here, BE RESPECTFUL.... there's a lot of animosity between the x-country riders and the downhillers, mainly due to loud music, fast driving up the roads and of course the fact that we blow by them down the hill. So whatever you do be nice, for all our sake. Thanks.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
eknomf said:
Zane-
Have many new things been built at PC since last summer? I think last time I was there they had just built that big wood drop at the bottom of egghunt. I'm going to be coming back to that Vancouver on the 27th, so we should go ride that weekend or something. Also... do you know what other local trails are still around. Ive heard talk of lots of them being gone... larch, jones creek, and wildcat being the main ones.
A new step-up, some new skinnies on the upper trails, and there's talk of some massize stuff up above ONT.... but I have yet to see it. How long will you be here for? I can't ride during the week, but if you'll be here that following weekend (4/30 - 5/31) I'll be free to ride. Hopefully some of the mud will dry out by then.....

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
And about the local trails, the larch stunts are mostly all gone, the jumps on the road at jones creek are gone, wildcat is gated off..... but leadbetter is still the same as when we were last there. I've also learned of some new stuff in the portland area, but I'll have to get some more info...

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
zane said:
And about the local trails, the larch stunts are mostly all gone, the jumps on the road at jones creek are gone, wildcat is gated off..... but leadbetter is still the same as when we were last there. I've also learned of some new stuff in the portland area, but I'll have to get some more info...
Too bad all that is gone, but if theres new things closer in that will be good. I have some trailbuilding plans for this summer as well if you or anyone else wants to help on that. When I come back i will be back for the summer... my last final is this thurs then im going to ride the shore and some other things before i come back.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I couldn't resist. Some of you have probably seen these but here's a few. The first one is the end of a long ladder to log to ladder drop with a teeter in between. The middle two speek for themselves and the last is a road gap with a fairly steep landing. Good stuff.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Here's one of me near the top it starts with a wood built step-up and you 180 for the drop at the end with a log ride soon after.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Ryan- we'll definitely have to ride the weekend after you get back. You have a DOC now, right? If the trails are too wet we can go dirt jumping or something...