Quantcast

Post surgery..help me decide. New bike or parts?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I'm having surgery to replace my ACL at the end of this month..

So, during the time I have for recovery and all that, I'll be saving a lot of money because I won't be going out to bars, and all that.

I'll still be working, so the paychecks will keep coming.

Since I'll be off my bike for a couple months, I was thinking about using that time to save up for bike related items..

I have an 01 Bullit. Should I get a new fork for it, and maybe upgrade some other parts?

Or should I just go ahead and use the time to save up for a whole new bike to replace the Bullit?

What would you guys do?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
No idea on the bikes, but good luck on the ACL, if you feel the need for any advice pm me or put a post on here, lots of monkeys have had the surgery done and are very helpful.

What option of replacement you getting?

The Ito

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
New bike fersure and also good luck on the ACL, I had mine done 5 years ago so also feel free to PM me about any questions you may have reguarding the surgery.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
You are so wrong, but in a good way. I went to see the NE Patriots play 5 days after I had my ACL replaced (also had 2 meniscal tears replaced). Surgery was 12/22/03 and I was ripping it up at the bars for New Years Eve. I was walking without crutches ~4 weeks after surgery. They will tell you to start moving it as much as possible as soon as possible. I had no CPM machine. Just "weight bearing as tolerated" starting 48 hours post-op. PM me if you want my notes. I've talked to a bunch of other folkes arounf here about recovery.
But best of luck, and don't plan on ahving much down time. But, I would save to replace the Bullit. Save the Bullit as a back up.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Given you've got an '01 bullit, and that the end of your planned recovery is a ways away, you may find yourself lusting after a particular frame/fork/bike by that time. I'd save your pennies for now and see what you think a month or two down the road.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I forgot to say before that I was riding DH at Plattekill just over 4 months after surgery. By that time, nothing hurt. It wasn't back to 100% strength, but by that time I had full range of motion. The last thing to bother it was going from sitting to standing on a DH bike, or attepting manuals.

Riding a bike was without a doubt the best thing I did for my knee. It will break up scar tissue and restore your range of motion better than anything else. If you do not already own a trainer, buy one.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
ito said:
No idea on the bikes, but good luck on the ACL, if you feel the need for any advice pm me or put a post on here, lots of monkeys have had the surgery done and are very helpful.

What option of replacement you getting?

The Ito
I'm getting a cadaver ligament put in...

I'm gonna watch "Body Parts" the day before...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Repack said:
You are so wrong, but in a good way. I went to see the NE Patriots play 5 days after I had my ACL replaced (also had 2 meniscal tears replaced). Surgery was 12/22/03 and I was ripping it up at the bars for New Years Eve. I was walking without crutches ~4 weeks after surgery. They will tell you to start moving it as much as possible as soon as possible. I had no CPM machine. Just "weight bearing as tolerated" starting 48 hours post-op. PM me if you want my notes. I've talked to a bunch of other folkes arounf here about recovery.
But best of luck, and don't plan on ahving much down time. But, I would save to replace the Bullit. Save the Bullit as a back up.
They're setting me up with a cpm machine..they look like a fun time..

The doctor's said I'd be walking pretty much after the surgery, albeit with assistance...

I hope my recovery is similar to yours!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Craw said:
They're setting me up with a cpm machine..they look like a fun time..

The doctor's said I'd be walking pretty much after the surgery, albeit with assistance...

I hope my recovery is similar to yours!
I seemed to be a bit on the fast side, especially early on. My doc said that different people react differently to the surgery. I had a Patella graft. A friend of mone had the same surgery with a different doc 6 months earlier. He was in moderate pain for a little over a week, but then progressed quickly. It isn't all gravy, but it is amazing how fast you heal after ACL surgery these days compared to even just 5 or 10 years ago. A lot has changed recently and ACL surgery is no longer means the end of a fully active athletic career.
Good luck!