Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've always had a seriously unhealthy desire to see huge sharks in their element
(Preferably from a cage)
Having been in the water with just large fish, pacific grouper for example, it's discomforting. Shark? Nah, I'm good.

Edit: wrong fish

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'd happily do a shark cage gig but open water? NOPE!
Was involved in a near shark attack a few years back, I was driving one of the rescue boats shepherding a group of rookie surf lifeguards on a training swim when we had a great white have a go at the group, was not a fun day out getting the teenagers onboard in a hurry and get the hell out of there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Grouper. Got the wrong name in my head. Sea bass are tiny. Groupers are fucking huge. Just being in the water with them is intimidating. And they aren't even a threat...

When I lived on a boat I liked to drop my kayak in the water and have a beer in the Sound on nice summer evenings. Was moving along at a good clip one day when everything came to an immediate stop. Felt like I ran aground but was in deep water, a moment later a sea lion popped up in front of me. I looked back and realized I had a strap dangling in the water which was now several feet shorter. Damn sea lion grabbed it and was just fucking with me. It wasn't a direct threat, but humbling when a 1000lb animal is messing with you on it's turf.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I've always had a seriously unhealthy desire to see huge sharks in their element
(Preferably from a cage)
Big Sur , Soberanes Point. we were in 60' of open water about mid column when a 12' great white swam into view, I almost shit my wetsuit. I dove into the kelp cover on the bottom so damn fast. I was never so happy to get the fuck out of the water.

Few yeas later off of San Miguel Island about 40 miles off of Santa Barbara on the dive boat Vision, Myself and Roger (divemasters) had just hit the aft dive platform with two buddy pairs that we had done current rescues on when a crewman yelled great white get off the platform. we scrambled up just as a fucking huge great white nosed the platform it had to be somewhere between 16-18 feet. That pretty much ended the dive trip then and there (last day of the trip).

Don't ever want to be that close to those big boys again

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:rofl:

I have to assume you saw something in the south atlantic.......florida keys, central america/mexico or some of the south pacific goliath grouper aka (sigh) "jewfish"

Those are a little different.

run of the mill grouper aren't that different from some bigass sea bass
I'd assume goliath. Fucker was easily 6-7' long and monstrous.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
When I lived on a boat I liked to drop my kayak in the water and have a beer in the Sound on nice summer evenings. Was moving along at a good clip one day when everything came to an immediate stop. Felt like I ran aground but was in deep water, a moment later a sea lion popped up in front of me. I looked back and realized I had a strap dangling in the water which was now several feet shorter. Damn sea lion grabbed it and was just fucking with me. It wasn't a direct threat, but humbling when a 1000lb animal is messing with you on it's turf.
Nowhere near the same, but many years ago I went for a little canoe ride with my mom when on vacation in Flor-Idiot. Cruising around the lake in the campground and get up to the"wild" end and before I know it I'm paddling along with a couple of good sized alligators as wingmen.

Ya, needless to say, that was then end of that nonsense. Canoe went back on top of the car and stayed there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nowhere near the same, but many years ago I went for a little canoe ride with my mom when on vacation in Flor-Idiot. Cruising around the lake in the campground and get up to the"wild" end and before I know it I'm paddling along with a couple of good sized alligators as wingmen.

Ya, needless to say, that was then end of that nonsense. Canoe went back on top of the car and stayed there.
I've never lived in gator country, but as far as I understand they aren't much of a threat to humans, they are no saltwater crocs.