Quantcast

Post the first thing that comes to mind with the word "Overrated"

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you don't like any Sierra Nevada beers, I suggest you stop drinking beer...you fail at it.
Its not the flavor, its the aftertaste that tells the world its not a good beer. But hey, the young college kids that dont know better love it, and the old guys trying to be young again.....Sooo... which catagorie do you fall into.....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you don't like any Sierra Nevada beers, I suggest you stop drinking beer...you fail at it.
Maybe you need to up the beer choices. Sierra Nevada isn't bad, actually. I rank it along with Henry's around here. But there are a number of beers available here that are well above anything Sierra Nevada makes. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to have one.

Have you seen the beers we have around here? You can't swing a dead cat in downtown without hitting a tap handle worth pulling.

<edit> http://www.beernw.com Come visit, I'll buy you several.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have...still come back the Mothers Milk. Suggestions?
Depends, I tend to like other styles of stouts better than Irish Dry stouts like Guinness, so maybe we're just not going to see eye to eye on this one. There's a ton of good stuff listed in the "right now I'm drinking" thread. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is one that you might like.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
But hey, the young college kids that dont know better love it, and the old guys trying to be young again.....Sooo... which catagorie do you fall into.....
Yeah, yeah...the same can be said for (insert the name of any microbrewery here). :nopity:

You realize they make about, what, 20 different beers of various styles? To say the brewery is overrated is just dumb. If you're just referring to the pale ale (as blue did), I suppose I'll give you that, although most people in the beer-know think it's just a decent pale ale, so I don't know how something that is considered "decent" is overrated.

Have you seen the beers we have around here? You can't swing a dead cat in downtown without hitting a tap handle worth pulling.
You live in one of the beer meccas of the world. You don't count. :D

Yeah, but I could have said "stouts" and you still would have agreed.
:rofl:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
he's hit or miss. he's got some really good stuff. he's got some really terrible stuff too. the stuff he does that is more r&b is terrible. the track he did with eminem kanye and lil' wayne was good
Eminem ripped those other guys a new one so hard they are still walking with clinched cheeks.

Oh yeah:

Beer
Specialized
Steve Jobs

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Depends, I tend to like other styles of stouts better than Irish Dry stouts like Guinness, so maybe we're just not going to see eye to eye on this one. There's a ton of good stuff listed in the "right now I'm drinking" thread. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is one that you might like.
Ok, while not technically labeled as a stout (it's listed as a porter), this is probably what you're looking for: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. Dark as night but with a medium body, not as boozy as some of the stouts listed above, etc. An absolutely amazing beer.

Then again I hate "dry Irish stouts" in general and prefer the sweeter, more highly alcoholic beers like Oatmeal or Imperial stouts. I even have a bottle of the 2009 BCS I'm saving for a special occasion.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You realize they make about, what, 20 different beers of various styles? To say the brewery is overrated is just dumb. If you're just referring to the pale ale (as blue did), I suppose I'll give you that, although most people in the beer-know think it's just a decent pale ale, so I don't know how something that is considered "decent" is overrated.
When I was visiting my folks (in a virtual beer void) I went to a sportsbar (second mistake?) and asked what they had on tap. She touted the many Sierra Nevada beers they had on tap and in bottles. I like a hearty beer (not a huge IPA fan) and while scanning th tap handles, I see a large "W" in the mix.

I ordered a Widmer heff and she looked at me cross-eyed. I said "The one with a big W on the handle". Her response was "I've never actually pulled that one, ever."

She poured a pint, looked at it, then poured it down the drain! She looked at me and said "I think the keg is bad, is there something else you want?" I said it looked perfect to me, pour it and give it to me.

She didn't understand that it was supposed to be cloudy. I drank 4 pints for free because she didn't want to charge me for "bad" beer. :rofl:

Guess if it doesn't look like Bud Light, something must be wrong. :disgust1:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cripes, it's frustrating when a bartender doesn't know anything about the beer they're serving. But for free beer, I'd deal with it. :D

Funny, MBC was at a happy hour once and called me to ask if the beer she ordered was the right one. She ordered a hefe and it was crystal clear. I told her it was the wrong beer and to send it back. :D (she ordered a Harpoon UFO...nothing at all clear about that beer)

In any case, it's nice that this thread has turned into a beer discussion.