Quantcast

Post-turkey day, day

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Up early, despite being super tired. Haley has ski practice as Snobahn today. Stopping by Macy's furniture to look at a new sofa for the family room. Wifey's been doing a bunch of contract work with the goal to set aside adtl cash for her new furniture and it showed up this week, so she's getting her new couch. Also getting the wood I need to start building end and coffee tables based on designs she's picked out. And I get to blow $1000 on prescription glasses over the next few weeks to exhaust an FSA account. We were expecting Haley to need braces when we funded last year but her dentist changed course on us. Now we have a $2000 account that will get taken away if we don't spend it, so new sunglasses x 2, prescription safety glasses, regular glasses, prescription inserts for my goggles, and hoping it's enough.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. Up early, despite being super tired. Haley has ski practice as Snobahn today. Stopping by Macy's furniture to look at a new sofa for the family room. Wifey's been doing a bunch of contract work with the goal to set aside adtl cash for her new furniture and it showed up this week, so she's getting her new couch. Also getting the wood I need to start building end and coffee tables based on designs she's picked out. And I get to blow $1000 on prescription glasses over the next few weeks to exhaust an FSA account. We were expecting Haley to need braces when we funded last year but her dentist changed course on us. Now we have a $2000 account that will get taken away if we don't spend it, so new sunglasses x 2, prescription safety glasses, regular glasses, prescription inserts for my goggles, and hoping it's enough.
I recently learned that macy's and jc penney are somehow still in business

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Submitting work today to client. Aboot time, those 35 hrs a week are killing me!

Temperature le suck, melting snow and barely above freezing temps. meh.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Same here - though all the snow has now melted and it should reach 6c, at some point. I have my bike loaded in the car for some fun wet slideways action after work. :-)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I recently learned that macy's and jc penney are somehow still in business
Macy's is in large part because of their furniture business. Their couches are pretty expensive but last a fucking long time. The couch we bought when we first got married is in the basement TV area and is pretty much new. Family room moving to the living room was grandma's and is over 10 as well. It just needs two new cushions. We'll probably spend $2000, taking advantage of the holiday sale (yes we checked prices prior), but expect 10-15yr out if it easily.

Both however have huge property ownership, which is their key values. A lot of the non-mall attached properties are being sold to developers, cleaning up their overhead. They don't have the warranty issues that Sears was saddled with either, which is very helpful.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Macy's is good for buying inexpensive work clothes when you want to meet the company dress code without looking like a slob and without spending a lot of money.

Speaking of new furniture, as soon as this cat dies, we're going to buy an entirely new living room, starting with a fancy L-shaped leather sofa. This cat is 18 and will probably live to 25.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So speaking of MTB, we're going to sit today out since it poured yesterday and everything is going to be sloppy and wet. MTB planned tomorrow and Sunday though. I'll get out for a run this morning and spend some time on the trainer later.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Macy's is in large part because of their furniture business. Their couches are pretty expensive but last a fucking long time. The couch we bought when we first got married is in the basement TV area and is pretty much new. Family room moving to the living room was grandma's and is over 10 as well. It just needs two new cushions. We'll probably spend $2000, taking advantage of the holiday sale (yes we checked prices prior), but expect 10-15yr out if it easily.

Both however have huge property ownership, which is their key values. A lot of the non-mall attached properties are being sold to developers, cleaning up their overhead. They don't have the warranty issues that Sears was saddled with either, which is very helpful.
Now that you mention it, we bought our bed and I think the kids beds there as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am still in bed. Middle child came for sweet snuggles when her green light went off, but exited to accompany wife as she awoke the baby. I remain in my warm cocoon

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
First time this has ever happened. Alarm went off, I was out of it and thought it was Saturday and shut it off and fell back asleep. Woke up to my phone ringing with dispatch on the line asking for a pickup eta and the wife saying shouldn't you already be on the road? Eff me Out the door in 2 minutes. Major hustle but I got my 4 early birds to Dialysis sort of on time (within 5 minutes of their scheduled drop offs) . Almost out of fuel I got over to a gas station. Having coffee and food now. Hope the rest of the day is not this fucked up

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, even their locations attached to malls are closing. There are actually 2 around here, I believe one closed, but I'm fairly certain it's because it was in such close proximity to the other one.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Submitting work today to client. Aboot time, those 35 hrs a week are killing me!

same same
Same here - though all the snow has now melted and it should reach 6c, at some point. I have my bike loaded in the car for some fun wet slideways action after work. :-)
1606490613863.png

I am still in bed. Middle child came for sweet snuggles when her green light went off, but exited to accompany wife as she awoke the baby. I remain in my warm cocoon
who in their right mind wakes a sleeping baby?!?! what is this sorcery?!?!

Lots of melting snow out there over here. No good for biking outside, no good for skiing. Will try and hit the skate park with a couple of buddies on Saturday evening, if they can get the act together and confirm so I can book our spots.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Riding required again today, might need to be a redux of yesterday as I can't think of anywhere else with rideable trail conditions.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
what did you ride yesterday? I didn't recognize the picture.
Centennial Cone, clockwise from the western lot. Probably going to go in the opposite direction today just to mix it up a little. First time we'd ever done a full loop there, went with the hunch on the likely best trail conditions for getting in a ride in and it played out nicely.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't hate me, but I ride there from my house. Just under 4 miles of warm up to the start of the hellacious climb.
I HATE YOU

just kidding, sorta. Whats up with all those perpendicular wood bars in the ground, water control? Do they ever get slippery as snot?

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I HATE YOU

just kidding, sorta. Whats up with all those perpendicular wood bars in the ground, water control? Do they ever get slippery as snot?
the first three words are literally DON'T HATE ME!

yes, water bars, although their usefulness is long gone aside from launch points :D every bar and rock on that trail can be slippery when it's super dry and dusty. I haven't ridden that trail in the wet in many years. (it's pretty damn dry here, mostly)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the first three words are literally DON'T HATE ME!

yes, water bars, although their usefulness is long gone aside from launch points :D every bar and rock on that trail can be slippery when it's super dry and dusty. I haven't ridden that trail in the wet in many years. (it's pretty damn dry here, mostly)
He's right about all that. And that ride is hella fun.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I honestly prefer the Mountain Lion dh to Longhorn.
Also awesome, but different. I can't say I prefer one over the other. Both teh goods.
I have only ever ridden White Ranch (GRUNT UPHILL) out of all of those (I think?), I have a bunch more exploring to do. If the dirt is dry in January...
If you suffered up Belcher, what did you descend? :hmm:
Much of WR is in the sun, it's mostly rideable through the winter if there isn't big snow dumps with just some snow/ice patches.