Quantcast

post your 2010 rides!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i saw a guy there w/ an m3 and a super monster one time...def below 60* h/a....with some chrome wheels it wuda been pure chopper

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
cant you read? maybe not? but if you looked at ronins location it would say France... :thumb:

and what do you need that frame for? diablo?? yeaaaa riiiiiiight that bike isnt going to make you any faster, most likely slower.
Well, I never said that it would make me faster, did I? Also as stated above FROM OTHERS, it is very adjustable. And diablo is not the only mountain I ride at. I make the trip to platty, mount snow, and a few other places too. Thanks though for telling me where I ride...

Oh, and you were right about one thing, next time I will look where they are located at on the side plain. I just didn't want to downplay your self esteem to much. You were right.

FYI-I will probably be on a jedi next season.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Also, not to derail the thread topic, but... on kowekillers whitebrothers? forks. I see the mounts for thru axle go directly below the fork. Whereas on a FOX 40, the mounts go an inch or so "infront" of the stanctions. What mechanical advantage or drawback does either design hold?

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Also, not to derail the thread topic, but... on kowekillers whitebrothers? forks. I see the mounts for thru axle go directly below the fork. Whereas on a FOX 40, the mounts go an inch or so "infront" of the stanctions. What mechanical advantage or drawback does either design hold?
I believe it's mostly a way to control offset, and on the 40 as well as on some of the old Monster T's, it's a way to keep the A2C height within reason and still fit the internals into the lowers. Somebody correct me if I'm way wrong, which I might be given my lack of sleep.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I believe it's mostly a way to control offset, and on the 40 as well as on some of the old Monster T's, it's a way to keep the A2C height within reason and still fit the internals into the lowers. Somebody correct me if I'm way wrong, which I might be given my lack of sleep.
that's pretty much right. The offset axle mount controls/decides the amount of trail on the fork, which affects the way the bike steers at speed and in tight conditions. You'll see on most forks the crowns are flat, ie no offset, but the axle is set in front of the fork tubes. On some older forks, the crowns are offset but the axle is directly under the tubes, like a risse or mr. dirt fork.

The key/problem/challenge is balancing all of the factors so that you get a fork that rides properly. An offset crown gives you more turning radius, ie not a boxxer), but then you might have too much trail and have to run the axle under the tubes, which will give you a taller axle to crown. Wider stanchion spacing can give more turning radius too. A flat crown gives you more stem options, and perhaps a stronger crown, but then you have to have an offset axle. I think most people have settled on flat crowns since huge turning radius isn't that necessary on a dual crown fork, and most people on bikes seem to prefer shallow head angles and less trail than a fork with more trail.

I don't know all the effects of "trail" on a bike, but I was under the impression that more trail (ie more offset) implies more stability at speed, but a "floppier" front end in tight sections. I prefer the handling of my boxxer (+35-45mm vs. +65mm) over the avalanche for that reason. So much so that I was designing flat crowns like the ones on the WB fork above for the avy fork.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The bike I rode for the better part of 2009:

2006 Iron Horse sunday, spray painted

What I'll be riding for 2010:
2008 Sunday team frame

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
My ride for 2010, hopefully I'll get more into racing because of this bike.

New bars, maybe cranks, and a new fork will eventually make their way onto this frame.

Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
I am waiting for this Transition Blindside

Setup:
- Frame - Transition Blindside 2010
- Shock - Fox DHX 5
- Fork - Marzocchi 66 RCV 2008 (This is temporary, i go sell for buy a Boxxer)
- Cranks - Shimano SLX
- Chainguide - Race Face
- Brakes - Shimano Deore LX 203
- Stem - Truvativ (This is temporary to, i go buy a Truvativ Direct Mount for Boxxer)
- Handlebars - Element Technic Nickel Wide 'Ltd Edition Platinum' 790mm
- Grips - Sunline
- Saddle - Selle Italia Troy Lee Designs
- Front Whell - Sun Rims MTX 29 with Marzocchi Hub 20mm
- Rear Whell - Sun Rims MTX 29 with Sun Ringle Demon Hub 135x12
- Tires - Front: Maxxis Minnion DH 2.35 Rear: Maxxis Highroller 2.35
- Transmission - Sram X9
- Pedals - Flat Pedals NS
- Headset - FSA Reduced

cheers!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
In the process of breaking down my Shocker, got a couple changes for '10.. nothing major, biggest change is probably getting rid of the horrid battleship powdercoat job..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Jedi some parts will swap up shortly as well as 2010 frame when they come in.
All parts are new or recently new theres going to be I9s, schwalbes and an E-13 on it shortly or when they get my I9 color set in.
Havent decided on shock I like the elka and ti springs always rock but air tracks ALOT better so Ill be going back to it more than likely as well as the new evo 888 but Ill keep these so I have back ups.

38lbs

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
All parts are new or recently new theres going to be I9s, schwalbes and an E-13 on it shortly or when they get my I9 color set in.
Havent decided on shock I like the elka and ti springs always rock but air tracks ALOT better so Ill be going back to it more than likely as well as the new evo 888 but Ill keep these so I have back ups.

38lbs

No offense, but how on earth can you afford so many parts changes?! You could probably have your own site to review all the parts you've tried. Not to mention you go through forks like toilet paper!

What is your amazing occupation that lets you have the sickest stuff?!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY

38lbs
very nice but what air shock?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

38lbs
very nice but what air shock?
Same as last time the marz roco wc air. Granted it doesnt land like a coil does on a $hitty drop or a nasty flat (they take it well and ronnie stated he had no idea why mine was working still, worst shape he'd seen one LOL) But as far as tracking I like the feel better on chatter and rock tops when running a ragged line. It seems more precise than numb feeling, Ive ridden alot of the coil shocks out there and avys for along time as well (Craig ROCKS) and yes avys are over dampened but Ive ridden the fox marz coil, and I like the feel of air when really getting after it and whipping it around.
Maybe its a personal preference but Lance and Chris both agree the air is glued to the ground and is almost like cheating when running one. Chris (and several others) is really excited with the performance of the elka so I will run it and see how it feels, worst case scenario is it gets replaced best case is it stays either way I get to ride and thats the best part :thumb:
Man Im glad to be back on a bike!!!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
38lbs thats nice. I can't get my 09 sm Demo 7 lighter then 41lbs. I am also trying the Elka this year only other shock i have is a 2010 dhx 5 air. That would get me closer to 40lbs but not sure how it will track.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have no info on the newer DHX air and If I said anything it would be hearsay! I like fox they make good stuff the earlier versions (1-2 years ago) wallow in the mid travel and didnt stay stuck as well as when they were run hard they heated up and got faded feeling. But that was an earlier version and I am sure they probably addressed that issue as it wasnt just me that thought that.
I have no time on the Elka but as with anything new Im excited to hammer it and see, It has good reviews and not just from people trying to justify there expendature and purchase to get rid of buyers remorse!

So if the ground dries a little or the snow receeds up the hill a bit Ill get a run or 2 in.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

38lbs

As always - a very nice bike. Good to see you back on the bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well some like the feel of coil and some like air but alot of the guys Ive rode with say the same thing after riding it with air. Considering they are going in with a prejudged attitude about air not working as well its a surpirise almost everytime and its almost always how well it tracks through the stuff and holds its line.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
What are you going to do with the paint job? Another powdercoat, or a home spray can job?
Not sure yet, I'm gonna get it blasted and depending on how much i like it raw I might keep it that way. I kinda wanna polish it (not a mirror polish), and have it clear-coated also. I got a couple months still to figure it out.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Not sure yet, I'm gonna get it blasted and depending on how much i like it raw I might keep it that way. I kinda wanna polish it (not a mirror polish), and have it clear-coated also. I got a couple months still to figure it out.
A light polish would look pretty dope. I was keen to do that to mine a year or so ago. Never got around to it though. Post pics when you do it up!

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
captainspauldin, you could just take it to get a Spray on Tan down in hoboken! But you should really mirror polish it so all the babes stop and check themselves out walking down washington.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Well some like the feel of coil and some like air but alot of the guys Ive rode with say the same thing after riding it with air. Considering they are going in with a prejudged attitude about air not working as well its a surpirise almost everytime and its almost always how well it tracks through the stuff and holds its line.
One of the guys I ride with has a Jedi with the Roco Air and says the same thing. He loves it, hasn't had any problems with it and he's a big guy. He had a DHX 5 Coil before and hated it, has said its much better with the Air.

He's also a bit of a weight weenie though.