Quantcast

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
zerode. want.
Zerode works pretty well, especially in the rough (mega rearward axle path?). Shock placement/protection very questionable (as in snap your reservoir off with a rock, fill your adjusters with so much mud you can't see them questionable).

Also hope you never, ever, ever have to pedal it. It feels like you are pedaling a flat tire through a sand pit with a rubber band for a chain. Worst pedaling bike since the invention of round wheels.

Big bonus points for doing something different however! Just needs a bit more refinement, and a real gearbox instead of a rear hub in the middle of the frame. Rear wheel axle bolts are not friendly on the calves!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Zerode works pretty well, especially in the rough (mega rearward axle path?). Shock placement/protection very questionable (as in snap your reservoir off with a rock, fill your adjusters with so much mud you can't see them questionable).

Also hope you never, ever, ever have to pedal it. It feels like you are pedaling a flat tire through a sand pit with a rubber band for a chain. Worst pedaling bike since the invention of round wheels.

Big bonus points for doing something different however! Just needs a bit more refinement, and a real gearbox instead of a rear hub in the middle of the frame. Rear wheel axle bolts are not friendly on the calves!
What a load of bullsh!t.
The Zerode is one of the best pedaling DH bikes I've had. Least bobbing, and accelerates from under you. Change your meds, and stop saying stuff you think's right to say.
I have some rubber pipe on my resi, and it's been safe so far, and I'm sure it will be. If it really troubled you, just get a remote resi Avalanche.
Rear axle bolts are flush with frame, Alfine axle nuts are within crank swing, and I've only ever felt my shoe brush it(as it would swingarm anyway on most bikes)a few times. Zerode are coming out with slightly thinner nuts soon, but it's of no concern to me.
Rear gearbox hubs have proven far superior to any other type of gearbox to date. Seems like a logical way to house a box IMO.
But keep your sponsored thoughts if you like. I'm loving my Zerode more than any other bike I've had. Only a few more tweeks(lighter bars, shock set up) and she'll be right on the money.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I love how the zerode has that hardtail look to it, with the perfectly straight TT to the axle. One of the things i love about the superco that we will never see

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Because I blew all my money on my Corsair I could only afford a second hand frame for this season(which I'm not racing)-

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have you tried riding it in the slackest setting? How does it ride?
That is as slack as I can almost comfortably run it, not a gret photo but BB height is lower than axle height.

Nice frame but needle rollers in the back end suck and so do Rockshox, 888's when the money rolls in.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Can you comment a bit more on how it rides? Cornering, stability and the susp? Ive been drooling over those frames for ages.

Also - just get an avy in there. Totems seem to work much worse compared to boxxers. Have no idea why.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can you comment a bit more on how it rides? Cornering, stability and the susp? Ive been drooling over those frames for ages.

Also - just get an avy in there. Totems seem to work much worse compared to boxxers. Have no idea why.
It is a great frame, everything is perfectly aligned unlike my last frame, with the Sex Toy shock it is just a shade too linear towards the end of the stroke for my liking but is deliciously smooth compared to my Elka(first gen).

It doesn't take big square edge hits quite as well as the Maelstrom but it does everything else better, braking seems(to me) to be active enough and braking in rough sections has never been an issue.
I'm 6ft and the large is spot on for me, I'm guessing the weight is around 19kg but it bunnyhops much better than the Corsair but doesn't feel as playful.

It's sort of hard to comment on the ride it just seems really neutral and you just get on it and ride, I improved my times on the Nicolai but felt slower as I never really felt like I or the bike(grip) was near it's limit which is great for confidence.

My main gripe is the needle rollers used in every pivot, I hate needle rollers and really don't think they belong in bike suspension. Nicolai now have a self lubing Nylon(?) bush kit which I will try after my next bearings wear out.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Heres my bike for 2011:

Stab Supreme 2010 (brand new (first new bike since 2003! :weee: )) Have only ridden it once.

It's all stock:

Fox DHX RC4 (with a spring way too hard, just ordered new one)
RockShox Boxxer World Cup 200mm
Headset FSA Gravity DX
Cranks Shimano Saint (170mm)
Chainring Saint 36T
B/B Shimano Saint
Pedals Kona Wah-Wah
Chain Shimano SLX
Cassette Shimano Ultegra (12-23, 9spd)
Chain guide E13 LG1 Alloy w/Taco
R/D Shimano Saint
Shifters Shimano Saint
Handlebar FSA Gravity Light (800mm Wide, 25mm Rise)
Stem FSA Gravity Light (50mm/55mm Length, 31.8)
Grips Kona LOG
Brakes Shimano Saint Disc 8"
Brake Levers Shimano Saint Disc
Front hub Shimano Saint
Rear hub Shimano Saint
Spokes Sandvik Stainless 14g
Tires Maxxis 26 x 2.5 DHF front/High Roller rear 3C DH casing
Rims Sun MTX 33
Saddle WTB Devo Team
Seatpost FSA Gravity DH-300
Seat clamp Kona Clamp

So much better bike than my last one (even without having the right spring in the rear and the wrong pressure in the fork (waiting for pump for the fork too...). My last bike was a Bullit -04 with 5th element and 888rc -05.

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Just got the Sunday built up with a new look, polished it and made my own graphics recently, also got new bearings, fork and shock service and retune and a direct mount stem on the way along with a more suitable tyre for the rear.

What you lot think?

Tom.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got this large sunday frame from a buddy last thursday so i stripped it polished it and built it up with my parts. Came in 38.04 with full casette heavier saddle and pedals. 37.4 now with dh casings.
New decals will be here shortly and the roco wc shock will ne on its way to avalanche to get a race tune and new parts.
Im impressed at the cornering and pedaling of this bike. Its more plush than i figured it would be.

Did the angleset on it at -1.5 and wow what a sled. Lol

TAP PIC FOR BETTER IMAGE.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

how much time do you have on one? compared to what?

my old BCD does not have the traits you listed above, and it has a super similar main pivot location and wheel path.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT

Zerode med/lge
888EVO Ti with Avalanche cart, and Chunked stem/crown
Avalanche rear shock
XTR Trail brakes
823 Hope Pro II front, Atomlab Pimplight rear both tubeless
SDG I-beam seat n post
Love that bike. How does it ride thru the rough and rocky stuff? Is the axle path rearward?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I thought the DHX was a bit of a damp squib? Does Kashima coating it polish a turd?

EDIT: forgot to say, that ride still looks fricking rad

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

morewood makulu. 38.5 as it sits. love this bike

posted a longterm review HERE if anyone cares to read it, or check the spec, etc.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
how much time do you have on one? compared to what?

my old BCD does not have the traits you listed above, and it has a super similar main pivot location and wheel path.
Just a few runs, so not a ton of time but the trail has a bit of everything on it and I know it pretty well. Compared back to back with a 2010 Demo. I think we turned 10 runs that day

Thought it worked great if you ride steep rough stuff a lot and don't have to pedal. I think much of the crappy pedaling performance is the result of the rear hub "gear box".

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Its not a crappy pedaler. It has a tiny bit of lag but it's not really noticeable. It does have 2 freewheels but it really doesnt matter.Maybe if you back pedal a ton. It's no where like what you described. They even climb ok if you have to.
I pedal mine along some fairly mellow stuff and it's great. And in the rough it's amazing.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I find the lack of bob far outweighs any double hub resistance, mine pedals as good as anything else I've ridden. Get a rear hub with many clicks so there's less lag. I'd be curious to know if the rear hub on the one woodbooger rode only had 30 clicks.
Woodbooger, are you Australian?
noskidmarks, drooling over the parts and frame :)
I'm so happy with the kit on my bike, the Avy 888s are so good, same with the rear shock. Not so sold on my XTR brakes, but I'll see how they are after a bleed and hose shorten. I'll try a Saint caliper if they still pump up. Perhaps the resi on the XTRs is too small for long steep DH. The rear feels okay with just a 7" rotor, the fronts just pumping a touch, hoping it's jsut air though. I only need some lighter bars, and I might swap the rear Atom lab to a lighter 823. Nothing wrong with the Atom lab, toughest rim I've run, would just rather save some weight.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
2012 GT Alloy Fury
Dorado
CC Double Barrel
Answer Pro Taper bar and DH stem
Formula Brakes
E.13 cranks/ring/guide
Saint derail and XT shifter
SDG Americana seat
KMC x9sl- Ti
Sun Ringle wheels

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
My new sled...well, ok, same used sled i had last year but with a new-to-me front end after the original headtube ovalized. Intense sent me a used demo front end as crash replacement (not cheap). i think i dig the polished look. i "camo-polished" the rear end to match and chicks dig it.

Old and outdate rig that no one rides anymore ;) '07 Uzzi VPX

New Rig hot off the press and ready for the 2011 WC circuit '07 Uzzi VPX

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Waiting on the new DH bike to come. My new Am bike is so much fun to ride in the mean time though :)

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden

Photo by Claes Sernevi

Finally got my Nugget. :)

It's a bit re-specced from stock:

Marzocchi 44 Rc3 Ti fork
Marzocchi Roco LO rear shock.
10 sp. X.0 mech/shifter, 11-28t cassette
Mavic Crossmax ST-wheels (Maxxis 2,35" Minions)
Gamut chain ring (a Gamut guide is going on as well)
Truvativ Boobar & a 60mm stem
Avid Elixir X.9 brakes (180mm/180mm discs)

I love it!

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
As it seems money wasnt realy an isue, why did you go for the aloy insteadof the carb fury?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Looks excellent IMO. Nice parts choice.
Thanks the bike rides amazing, the Dorado/CCDB suspension combo is really good. You can tune both so much to dial it into the different tracks you ride.

Formula Brakes are dialed, way strong and stop nice and late coming into corners etc.

As it seems money wasnt realy an isue, why did you go for the aloy insteadof the carb fury?
This Alloy Fury is a 2012 prototype, I can ride a carbon but the alloy is holding up real well. Plus the Geo on the alloy is different than the carbon, slack, short WB... perfect for east coast trails.