Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
On pinkbike where kids buy bikes by the name. Most of the people on here prefer a frame that's strait, and doesn't have horrible weld over penetration
I've been told overpenetration may be bad for your pelvis. Yeah. I will better avoid that.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
Back on topic:

I really like the idea of buying domestic product. however, its not all that realistic to have any where near a 100% american made (all the way down to components) mountain bike the way the industry is set up right now. in reality, the only reliable american made part of a domestic bike would be the frame.

Domestic product is better on so many levels, from a sustainability to quality, that its hard to refuse.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I had no idea, what I do know, is often times you can see a jagged outline of top tube and down tube through the inside of the head tube and seat tube
My first comment was sarcastic for sure, but its a good thing to see the weld go all the way through to the inside of the HT.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Back on topic:

I really like the idea of buying domestic product. however, its not all that realistic to have any where near a 100% american made (all the way down to components) mountain bike the way the industry is set up right now. in reality, the only reliable american made part of a domestic bike would be the frame.

Domestic product is better on so many levels, from a sustainability to quality, that its hard to refuse.
Quality is the same. The main thing is it is easier to control the production so if they mess up you spot it quicker. Also US mfgs now are smaller so if something happens you don't have to wait as long for your batch to be welded.

As for frame only I also don't agree. I don't care about that non tw made stuff and only around 50% of my bike is tw made.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Same rides as last year and the dh bike has been with me since 2004.
Didnt ride it for four years but since I have no intentions to be a competative racer anymore, the v10 is more then capable for what i do....
You must be crazy. Admitting it on RM is like admitting you are a child rapist in prison.

btw. I always wondered. Where do you ride? I know some dutch guys who just do a lot of eurotrips to france and winterberg but what are the most popular spots as it seems living in Holland is an even worse spot (bike wise) than Warsaw.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
hubs: hadley
headset: cane creek
shock: cane creek, avalanche
seatpost: thomson
pedals: twenty6
stem: twenty6

etc.
Fork: Dorado
Chainguide: Straitline (might be made in Canada, still North America though)
Shock: CCDB, Elka (again, Canadian)
Chain: KMC (not 100% sure about this one, but I think their manufacturing is domestic)

Still a pretty thin list though in comparison..

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fork: Dorado
Chainguide: Straitline (might be made in Canada, still North America though)
Shock: CCDB, Elka (again, Canadian)
Chain: KMC (not 100% sure about this one, but I think their manufacturing is domestic)

Still a pretty thin list though in comparison..
Since the problem for most people really is tw I will just list non tw parts
Chainguide: Straitline
Pedals: Twenty6
Crank: RF Atlas (Canada right?)
Stem: Chunked
Rear hub: Hope
Rim: 823 (Romania still better than tw ? ;))
Chain: KMC
Chainring: Weeze (test for a local mag but Polish made)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Colour coded kit, may have to look in to this, I am so slow people would have time to notice that my kit doesn't match my bike properly.

Just ordered some sweet Huffy stickers for my bike.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
New Session. XO 10 spd, Kashima front & rear, XTR Trail brakes. Got a few laps on it the other night and the bike feels incredible. Not sure if these frames run extra quiet in general or if it's the velcro I used on the chainstay (RM suggestion, thx!) but the bike is SILENT. Still lots of suspension dialing to be done but so far I'm impressed.

Sick black! makes the tubes a lot slimmer and more proportionate. And I'm pretty sure your front tire is backwards.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I just bought a 2011 Makulu frame....building it up now to go along with my demo :D I'll post some pics later this week when it's finished.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Snapped a pic of my m9 the other day:
m9.JPG

First weekend out I was not feeling comfortable at all, Stupid 2010 solo air spring on my boxxer was feeling supper harsh and the rear end was undersprung. Switched to coil up front/swapped in a stiffer spring in the rear and that made a world of difference. Rides very similar to my Shocker(very good thing, imo), M9 seems to be a bit faster/more stable when the going gets rough, gotta get some more seat time before I make any more comparisons. But initial impressions are great.

Last edited:

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area

rides quite a bit differently than the demo from my parking lot romp... very eager to get it on a trail

the wolf pack grows by one!

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009

rides quite a bit differently than the demo from my parking lot romp... very eager to get it on a trail

the wolf pack grows by one!

Nice, I've been a Makulu fanboy for the last few years. The demo is the only other bike I'd consider riding....it would be great to hear a direct comparison from someone who owns both

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
nice man, also interested to hear thoughts on demo vs. makalu.

i am personally convinced the makalu is the best DH bike ever, been on most bike out there, with the exception of the newest demo...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nice man, also interested to hear thoughts on demo vs. makalu.

i am personally convinced the makalu is the best DH bike ever, been on most bike out there, with the exception of the newest demo...
have to agree with you there, it certainly makes up for my short comings as a rider