Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
You guys need to stop posting these carbon Trance X's before I cross the pond and steal them. Damn..

That's with a 140 mm fork, right? I would like it to get one to 67 dead HA, but I've got a feeling that it would make the BB too low, unless I run 150 mm in front.. I guess you're not hitting stuff all over since you don't use a bash?

Yeah, that's with revelations spaced down to 140mm. If your mad keen on a 67 HA, then I would go a -1.5 headset rather than a 150 fork, as the headset option will maintain a good seat-tube angle and BB height.

I hate grinding anything, if I can't bunny hop it, then I try launch off it. this bike will soon be 1x10, It's got the triple ring on it because that's what I had laying around.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Yeah, that's with revelations spaced down to 140mm. If your mad keen on a 67 HA, then I would go a -1.5 headset rather than a 150 fork, as the headset option will maintain a good seat-tube angle and BB height.
I actually think I would be better suited with a 140 mm (5.5 in.) frame with the same or 150 mm in front, but I just love my old shock basket Trance (2006 I think, I got it in -08 or -09). That poor thing has taken a SEROIUS amount of beating and is running Singltrack rims, a chainguide, a 140 mm revelation air fork, 75 mm stem and a 720 bar. It's been through dirt jumps, trails, winter downhill with spiked tyres.. I've blown a Fox RP3 on it, but the frame is still running like a charm. My only gripe with it is that it is a size too small for me; it's nice and nimble in the jumps but long trail runs has my seat way rear and my back aching. And that it's a porky bastard..

The new looks of the Trance X is just gorgeous. And the carbon one, Damn...

I hate grinding anything, if I can't bunny hop it, then I try launch off it. this bike will soon be 1x10, It's got the triple ring on it because that's what I had laying around.
I tend to smack my guard from time to time when going up big steps and being a bit too tired. I don't think the big ring would make it ten rides for me.. :D

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Just got this put together yesterday. Checks in @ 41# on the bathroom scale. This thing is solid like a Tank. Everything is welded beautifully, tight and straight. Some tolerances seem a bit tight, but this frame is very well thought out. I am not a real smooth rider. This is replacing my 951, which although was great riding bike, it not fit my crappy riding style. Just need to mount the new tires, tune in the suspension, and trim the brake hoses and we will be ready to roll.
403243_387685677924408_100000489363057_1542485_188300393_n.jpg

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

i'm running a works component -1* with a 150mm revelation. 67* HA, 13.6 BB. love it.

monroe123

Chimp
Mar 15, 2011
Scored the driver 8 frame from hucknroll before christmas for $800 shipped! Just got it all together, 40 lbs.
IMG_0910b.jpg

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That's with a 140 mm fork, right? I would like it to get one to 67 dead HA, but I've got a feeling that it would make the BB too low, unless I run 150 mm in front.. I guess you're not hitting stuff all over since you don't use a bash?
Mine Trance's HA is 67 on the dot with a 13.25 BB. (using -1.5 Angleset and 150mm Revelation.) But, keep in mind I have an XL and that size frame has a really long head tube. The longer head tube makes the change in head angle a little smaller vs. a frame with a shorter headtube. Personally, I love the low BB. I think it's one of the features that makes the Trance stand out in the first place.

I haven't measured the seat angle, but the bike puts me in a great climbing position. (I'm using a Reverb seat post with the seat fairly centered in it's clamp.) Even using a short stem, it climbs the fire roads great, with some loss of control on single track climbs. It's still worth it to me for how it descends.

Trailside shot: (with fork lowered on the climb.)

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Very tempted by a Mega as my do it all bike, just building up my hardtail again but need a decent bike to ride all day and do dh on as my DHR is not really getting ridden much anymore at all.
this is what im riding mostly for 2012.

View attachment 109438

The DH bike hasnt seen much use since I got this. Really loving it, its so much fun to ride goes up almost as well as it goes down. Its got as much travel as my first DH bike (sintesi bazooka), better geometry and weighs only 30lbs

Spec
Nukeproof Mega
Monarch Air
Lyric R2C2 Dh
XO groupset
Ive added a e13 Hemi chainguide since I took the pics
Nukeproof headset, bars, stem, seatpost and saddle
Hope Pro II/ Ztr Flow wheels
Continental Rubber Queen black chilli 2.2 tires

Cant get over how good this bike is and if i was to sell my DH bike I dont think id miss it bar for racing. Ive been using it for everything from dh riding to 30k xc rides and does it all very well. Some DH tires and a single ring and it would probably be even better at the dh riding but obviously loose out on the longer xc rides.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
While waiting for my proper DH wheels from Mavic to show off the new Dh bike, I've been pre-occupied by this fun lil package I just picked up a week ago.

After updating to a 10mm shorter stem, wider Boobar riser and meetier Barracuda and Piranha tires, the Carbine really came alive yesterday. I just need to recover from this annoying lung-cold thingie I've been lugging around the last two weeks.

Here are some highlights from yesterday's cruise. I know it's snowing somewhere...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
While waiting for my proper DH wheels from Mavic to show off the new Dh bike, I've been pre-occupied by this fun lil package I just picked up a week ago.
looks like a fun bike, nice.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
@sandwich

A zumbi? How's the ride of these sweethearts?
Funny is that even though I know the owner of the company I'm yet to ride one. Some people swear by them, some say they are meh. Very divisive frame around here.

@Sandwitch what year is that? I think they stopped that paint job some time ago.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@sandwich

A zumbi? How's the ride of these sweethearts?
I barely have any time on it at all, and most of that was relatively low speed. So far, it's nice and plush but controlled in its travel, ramps up nice and linearly and doesn't feel like it's doing anything at all, which is exactly how I like my suspension to be. It pedals fairly well but I have a tiny chainring on it, so it's hard to tell how it will do with the proper 36t.

Funny is that even though I know the owner of the company I'm yet to ride one. Some people swear by them, some say they are meh. Very divisive frame around here.

@Sandwitch what year is that? I think they stopped that paint job some time ago.
Not sure of the year, I assume it's one of the first production versions. It got kicked around a bit on the used market. I bought it used and got it for a song since I assume sam hill never rode it. The angles feel pretty natural, the BB might be a bit high especially coming off the sunday but the dynamic geometry ie on trail feels spot on for steep stuff on the east coast.

I need to put more time on it before I can comment, but the build quality is good and I love avy components...they just work.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
My two rides for the summer, same DH setup apart from some new suspension bits. Whole new XC ride, might end up putting a suspension fork on the front later on during the summer.

dscn2295m.jpg
dscn2279q.jpg

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I need to put more time on it before I can comment, but the build quality is good and I love avy components...they just work.
That's awkward since the early years had some issues. Good for you I guess ;)

Also isn't the HA too steep for you? The bike is long but quite steep at ha.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What issues? I'd like to watch out for them.

No, the HA actually feels really slack. Right now, the 66 on the front doesn't have as much sag as the rear does, and it has a tall A2C, so when I stand on it, it actually feels really slack, almost dangerously so. I think it'll be fine on the trail. It's actually a little short, I'd love to have a little bit more length in the TT.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There were some misalignment issues and the geo was not what was advertised. That was solved from 2009 or 2008 if I'm not wrong.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Worst "frame on a scale" shot ever by the way :)
The flash reflected in the digital monitor's screen.
It was 10.78Lbs with the axle and seat clamp, didn't figure RM was the type of place to care.

Also: Iphone photo + i suck at picture taking in general

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
RM not a place to care about a bike's weight?
Are you sure you are in the right place mate?!

For what it's worth, I wasn;t fussed about the weight, until I saw it on a scale I couldn't see... then I cared :p

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground

After updating to a 10mm shorter stem, wider Boobar riser and meetier Barracuda and Piranha tires, the Carbine really came alive yesterday. I just need to recover from this annoying lung-cold thingie I've been lugging around the last two weeks.

Here are some highlights from yesterday's cruise. I know it's snowing somewhere...
Pff, As if! 3°C and rain here. If this keeps up, the snow will soon be gone!
.... :banghead:

That's a seriously sweet ride though.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have a trance x also. But its an x3 so I feel ashamed to post it up here with all these sweet crabonz models.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
RM not a place to care about a bike's weight?
Are you sure you are in the right place mate?!

For what it's worth, I wasn;t fussed about the weight, until I saw it on a scale I couldn't see... then I cared :p
I did take a pic of the weight separately but it wasn't uploading for some reason that i couldn't be bothered to figure out.

Or maybe it's a conspiracy and the Norcos are actually really really heavy.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Santa showed up late (early) this year, but like the saying goes "better late than never" going to be a good summer i reckon

p4pb7750207.jpg

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks i cant wait to build it up and take it for a spin. Hopefully the carbon "effect" will help knock of some extra seconds of my lap times come summer.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Shazaam!!

All built up, waiting on a new guide and ring then it's finished (for now). Spec on request.

p4pb7763020.jpg