Quantcast

Post your 2013 ride.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
A mate just got his new 2013 Jedi 3 days ago.
We going for the maiden voyage tomorrow...very sexy looking bikes.

Will pitt Zerode against Jedi and report back.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
So after the maiden voyage on his new Jedi Dave says the new bike gets 2 thumbs up.
Just needs a bit of dialing in like any bike does.
The Zerode also had its first real hit out on real DH trails and it was so nice to ride...it only got sketchy when half way thru first run I totally lost the rear brake...didnt stop me from doing 2 more runs tho.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
two best dh bikes.. i prefer the jedi because minus wight and smaler frame design "alfine" part... and no shock issue on the downtube. the shift part and +wight in the rear is no problem for me!

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
two best dh bikes.. i prefer the jedi because minus wight and smaler frame design "alfine" part... and no shock issue on the downtube. the shift part and +wight in the rear is no problem for me!
What?
The Jedi is longer and does feel nice.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How much lighter is your Jedi than the Zerode with a similar build (presumably)?

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
The acceleration of the Zerode is amazing...if you're on a run and on the brakes just releaseing them is like firing up a rocket!
It just takes off like you wouldnt believe!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The weight of the Zerode doesn't seem to be bothering people winning on them(under 19s New Zealand national champ just now), or what seems to be the most photographed DHer in Oz at the moment because of his fat whips, Ben Hill.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
Its because the weight is right between your knees so very chuckable.
It doesnt ride like a heffer...it just feels it when you try to lift on the back of the ute.

some better pics in the light.

Specs:
2011 Dorado Pro
Fox DHX RC4 with Ti spring
CC Angleset (-1 degrees)
Renthal bars
Easton DM stem
SRAM X.9 shifter and type2 derailleur
Shimano XT levers with (2011 Saint Calipers)
Shimano XT Icetech rotors
Saint crankset
Shimano Durace Cassette
E.13 guide
Thomson masterpeice
SDG TiFly
CB Mallet 3
Hope Pro 2 hubs with Mavic Ex721
Specialized Hillbilly/Butcher tires (tubed)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The weight of the Zerode doesn't seem to be bothering people winning on them(under 19s New Zealand national champ just now), or what seems to be the most photographed DHer in Oz at the moment because of his fat whips, Ben Hill.
I'm pretty sure I had some of my best results on a bike I hated ;)

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Does that motor double as a bash guard?
I haven't ridden any gnarl with it yet - not that we have much of that in my area. Time will tell if it gets hit much, and I'll update as things go along. Its not like the crankcase of my motos don't get beat up, but they also get the frame tubes under there, and some aluminum guards too. This is a first gen product, so one can't expect evolution yet.
Motorizing bikes for off-road use is a polarizing subject, but if you can put all hate aside its a lot of fun when you ride it.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I haven't ridden any gnarl with it yet - not that we have much of that in my area. Time will tell if it gets hit much, and I'll update as things go along. Its not like the crankcase of my motos don't get beat up, but they also get the frame tubes under there, and some aluminum guards too. This is a first gen product, so one can't expect evolution yet.
Motorizing bikes for off-road use is a polarizing subject, but if you can put all hate aside its a lot of fun when you ride it.
No doubt electric bikes will be lots of fun, but I can't help think they're going to jeopardize mountain bike access and change the trails for ever when they become popular, and lazy people can get out there with even less skills, and more corner cutting dirt raping torque.. Maybe I'm just paranoid.:shocked:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No doubt electric bikes will be lots of fun, but I can't help think they're going to jeopardize mountain bike access and change the trails for ever when they become popular, and lazy people can get out there with even less skills, and more corner cutting dirt raping torque.. Maybe I'm just paranoid.:shocked:
Most trails are designated non-motorized, so bikes with electric motors are not allowed on them anyways. If someone rides them on these trails then it is as illegal as using a dirtbike. Are dirtbikes a problem on the trails you ride?
But in combination with Strava it can become an issue. People do weird sh!t just to get a KOM. :(

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Oh God. It does look fun, but they're not doing anything to spectacular on the flat or up sections. So I only see a handicap for the downs. On certain tracks their speed suits the track they'd be great fun. But as they said it's just going to open up access to tracks for people that wouldn't have. We'll just have to see. It will be a deal changer, and yes we do have motorbike issues on tracks here in Australia. and half our decent tracks are illegal but a blind eye is usually turned by the powers that be. This will change all that I'd say. Time will tell. Slight chance it might make tracks better, doubt it though.
I want with a big enough motor that can tow two other riders and bikes up a decent grade hill.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Man is lazy, therefore it will catch up. The problem in the alps as the most crowded alpine region in the alps is that the established group of customers - the hikers - already don't like mountainbikers. If mountainbikers not only scare them going downhill on hiking trails but going uphill while letting them eat their motorized dust I could imagine that mountainbikers as a whole will be banned from most hiking trails. So even the guys who doesn't enforce this will suffer from guys who just can't get enough.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
As we already totally derailed the thread ;) I'd like to ask some questions:

What the range of this system is? As far as I know city bike with quite big battery can make about 60-80km on flat surface, on slicks, in good weather conditions on one charge. An this is hybrid.

Where the battery is? In rider's backpack? If it is so, that is failure, IMO.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
it's in the backpack, as for further information chek: ego kits

It's basically a motorcycle. I think it can go 70 km/h

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't have scales. I'd say low 18s(KG) as is. I'll be changing to Bos forks and shock shortly, should get it below 18kg. It's plenty light enough to chuck about. I'm happy with the weight. Loving it so far. First decent ride on monday.

Last edited: