Quantcast

Post your 4X machines

JJ_PA

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
S.W. Pennsylvania
Lets see them, and could you explain why you race a HT or FS for 4X.
What are some of the pros and cons of each. I'm trying to decide whether to stick with my hardtail or switch to FS.
Thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Read sig....

I use it for everything. So far, I raced dual slalom at parkfield on it. I want to race 4x also. I have a hardtail, becasue this was all I could afford after my level betty broke. A hartdail is nice becasue its simple- relibible, easy to tune (only fork). FS 4x bikes like tazers are fun too though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
adjust your chainguide. Jesus. It is so far from being setup right it makes my brain hurt!

Tuck that idler way up under your chainstay. The way it is, you have no tension on the chain.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Transcend said:
adjust your chainguide. Jesus. It is so far from being setup right it makes my brain hurt!

Tuck that idler way up under your chainstay. The way it is, you have no tension on the chain.
Oh god- hahha. Its an old picture. Thats when I first put the guide on, then I realized that.

Heres a newer picture

Now I have hozfellers and an ex 721 in front. Next week, the back rim (bent ex. 325), will be replaced w/ an ex 721.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
my 4X/slalom/dirtjump/street/etc bike. Hardtail because I wanted something good for dirtjumping as well as racing and I needed it to last a long time.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004

bam, bad pic. i got a ht cus the price is right. the fork is a z-somthing
and the wheels are off my xc bike but it runs good.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Imperial SL. Hardtail because I took a realistic look at what I'd be doing with it. Sadly there really aren't anymore slalom races, and only a couple 4x races around if I'm lucky. Realistically, it sees more time at dirt jumps, etc. Also a hardtail to try something different. I have been on a full suspension slalom bike going back to 1999, it was time to mix it up. :)

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
My Yeti 4x (#11), Fox 36 Talas R, Sram X9/X0, Holzfeller cranks, MRP system 1, DT FR 6.1 on Hadleys, Protapers, Thomson post, Juicys 7s...

I have always ridden hardtails for that sort of stuff (skateparks, jumping and 4x) and i wanted to try something different. Yes the Yeti is heavier (~3pounds over my last hardtail frame) but it is so much faster on tighter corners, as well as giving a lot more grip on the flat turns. I run mine setup pretty hard, so i rarely bottom it (if at all) and it doesn't soak up any of the lips of jumps. Time/position wise i'm not sure if it's any better, but it feels a lot more fun to ride.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
2005 Specialized SX

Flat bars, 40mm stem, Shimano Deore brakes, Gamut guide, etc. This bike barely cost me anything and I love it. The 5th element air sucks, but I'm stealing Biscuit's newer Fox float shock soon. It's a longer frame, and it has a longer wheelbase than an Orange 222.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That SX has a cool setup. I've been thinking about running flat bars on my DH bike for a while. How do you like yours?

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Just after I built her up.

I have coverted it to SS for the local BMX track and DJ's

In my limited experience I did not like the way suspension reacted to rollers and jumps but I was not on a 4x specific FS bike...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Thanks, the SX rips. It's the closest thing I could find to a Tazer FSR, but a lot stronger and with a better warranty. With a new shock, it's a super fun ride. The flat bars are rad, and make it handle really well. I'm only 5'9" and run the fork slammed. Flat bars are lighter, stiffer, and stronger than riser bars. The SX is fun cuz you can dial the fork out and go ride XC all day without any probs, and ripping on the downs.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Daniel's Turner is some HOT ****!

My Splinter MXS

I use my MXS for rougher, steeper courses and generall messing around, but it is really fun at the trails too. I mess around with geometry on it alot, but it's pretty set at 5" of travel up front and 4" in the rear most of the time, with a slammed 12.5" bb and 67 degree head angle. It is too heavy for me to use as my only gated racing bike, so I also run my '04 DNA, which is about 6 pounds lighter. The old DNA is pretty steep in the front end, which isn't as optimal for my cornering style. The geometry on the '05 and later DNA's is spot on for me, but i'm waiting on a new, lighter bike.

Sinister is building a run of 4x and slalom specific Ridge hardtails that are designed around a 4" fork. They will have a 68.5deg head angle, 23" TT,16.25" inch stays, an 1.125 head tube and a 12.25" inch BB height. Weight should be around 4.5 pounds for the frame. This is really similar to the DNA geometery, but without all the over-the-top beefyness, and a little bit slacker, lower and longer. I'm stoked, for sure.