Quantcast

Post your best salsa Recipe's

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, one 10 oz. can of rotel mexican tomatoes with lime and green chiles. one white onion. two fresh jalepenos. cumin, fresh cilantro, lime and salt to taste.

put the tomatoes, onion, jalepenos (de-seeded), cilantro, cumin, salt and lime in a blender and hit start. blend to desired consistency. it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish including cleanup. it makes a ton of salsa and its good, good, good. i put it on everything and have it in my fridge all summer long. i like to make it really hot so sometimes instead of mexican rotel with lime and chiles, i use a can of the extra hot rotel. that stuff will set your mouth on fire. using the rotel instead of two cans on normal tomatoes just gives it a better flavor but you can use just regualr diced tomatoes if you want.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Take some tomatos, some jalapeno, some onion and some cilantro. Chop it all up real good then squeeze a lime over it.

The tomato/onion ration should be between 2:1-1:1. Jalapeno should be to taste, and use enough cilantro to give it some zest. Use enough lime juice so that it is covered,, but not swimming.

You can also mix it all with an avocado.

:drool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
anybody got anything else?

I would PREFER for all of my stuff to not come from a can. I would also like a reciepe with Tamatilio(sp?) in it.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I would PREFER for all of my stuff to not come from a can.
There's nothing wrong with using canned diced tomatoes. I use them sometimes for meat sauce and chili. If you want to avoid the canned ones, try Laura's recipe, but buy tomatoes and then dice them yourself. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
berkshire_rider said:
There's nothing wrong with using canned diced tomatoes. I use them sometimes for meat sauce and chili. If you want to avoid the canned ones, try Laura's recipe, but buy tomatoes and then dice them yourself. :thumb:
I think I'm gonna this weekend.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
stosh said:
anybody got anything else?

I would PREFER for all of my stuff to not come from a can. I would also like a reciepe with Tamatilio(sp?) in it.
Alright then try this one!

Tomatillo Salsa

Originally posted by the master chef Nobody all the way back in November 15th 2001 :eek:

Tomatillo Salsa
* 10 Tomatillos, husked & washed. 5 cut in half and 5 coarsley chopped.

* 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice.

* 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion.

* 1 Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped.

* 2 tablespoons olive oil.

* 1 tablespoon honey.

* Salt & fresh ground pepper.

* 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro.

Place the halved tomatillos and the lime jice in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the coarsely chopped tomatillos, onion and Jalapeno in a bowl, add the tomatillo/Lime mixture and toss to coat. Add the olive oil and homey and season with salt & pepper. Fold in the cilantro just before serving.
:drool: :love:

Pickled Ginger Salsa

* 1 small red Onion or 3 shallots.

* 1 tablespoon pickled pink Ginger.

* 1 tablespoon cucmber, deseeded, peeled and cut into matchstick strips.

* 3 tablespoons sesame oil.

* 1 teaspoon light soys sauce.

Dice the Onion or Shallots very finely.
Cut the pink Ginger into strips. Combine all the ingreadients and leave to stand at room tempurature for NO MORE than30 mins to allow the flavors to settle.

Spoon on to fresh half shell Oysters.

Tomato Salsa

* 10 tomatoes, deseeded and roughly chopped.

* 1 medium red Onion, finely chopped.

* 1/3 cup chilli sauce (Ayam chilli & garllic sauce from Indonesia is my fave :drool: )

* 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder.

* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin.

* 2 tablespoons cracked Pepper.

* 2 tablespoons Lemon juice.

* fresh Mint chopped.

* fresh Coriander, chopped.

Mix all the ingrediants together, adding Mint and Coriander to taste.
Let sit at room temp for half an hour to flavors to mix/settle.

:thumb:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
there are no rules, just what tastes good to you.

for salsa, pick the ingrediants that you like and go from there. I like the green salsa best and if I'm cooking it, I will use the grill to fire roast the veggies first. I don't write down recipes usually, just add whatever sounds good and whatever I have in the cupboard, spice wise.

tomatillo salsa:

4 or 6 or so fresh tomatillos (I wouldn't hesitate at all to use canned ones though, and have many times.)
a couple of jalapenos
sweet onion
garlic
cilantro
cumin
salt
lime
1 or 2 poblano peppers

fire up the grill and throw all the veggies on it. I cut the onion into rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick and throw some olive oil on them. maybe some good salt and pepper as well.

once all the veggies are nice and black, peal and de-seed them. depending on how chuncky you want it, throw them into the blender/food processor and go to town. I will usually put half of the roasted veggies in and coursely chop the rest and add them to the final serving bowl.

add the spices to taste and squeeze the lime in last. if you like a lot of ciliantro, add a bunch. I don't like a lot of it so I don't add too much.

remember, your taste buds don't lie.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
pnj said:
fire up the grill and throw all the veggies on it.
That's the way to do it for awesome salsa. I usually add red bell pepper to mine, sometimes some corn (grilled on the cob). I actually like to grill veggies for salads too, slicing endive and romaine into sections, add olive oil, salt and pepper...just a few minutes really brings out the flavor. But that's another thread.

My salsa is heavy on lime and cilantro, and has a dash of tequila, the latter being essential for perfect balance of flavor. :) I'll use local vine-ripened tomatos when they're in season, but honestly, the canned diced tomatos are way better than the hothouse-grown "fresh" tomatos you see year round, which taste like cardboard. Canned tomatoes are real tomatos canned when ripe. I say go with canned when they're not in season. I like to mix in half tomatillos on occasion. I also deseed my tomatos for a less runny salsa.

Get good onions. I like vidalia, not so overpowering. I like my salsa with natural blue corn chips. Tasty.

If you want good storebought salsa, check the health food section. Most of the organic salsas I have tried are great.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DaveW said:
Alright then try this one!

Tomatillo Salsa

Originally posted by the master chef Nobody all the way back in November 15th 2001 :eek:

:thumb:

awesome thanks!!

I think I'm gonna try #1.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I made the first one that DaveW posted. It was good but a little to much lime IMO but really good none-the-less.

I'm going to add some chopped tomatoes to it and lessen the lime and it should be perfect!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i do one w/ the following:

diced red onion
garlic
black beans, rinsed
corn
cilantro
avocado
chopped jalapeno
diced plum tomatoes, seeded
oil
lime juice

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Tenchiro said:
Take some tomatos, some jalapeno, some onion and some cilantro. Chop it all up real good then squeeze a lime over it.

The tomato/onion ration should be between 2:1-1:1. Jalapeno should be to taste, and use enough cilantro to give it some zest. Use enough lime juice so that it is covered,, but not swimming.

You can also mix it all with an avocado.

:drool:

Do this, but add mango too!