Quantcast

post your bike!! you dang trials monkeys

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'll get mine up in a few days. i've got a new wheel and new tyres to put on. oh and a new sticker kit. mine was looking kind of beat.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Kris you have more fluidride stickers on your bike than I do, and I work there!

So this is a picture of my bike(a long time ago). I ended up crushing the downtube(my bad), but Mike DeSalvo hooked me up with a replacement. The only main difference now is that I have a new fork, 7" avid disc brake up front, and avid ultamite in the back, and different tires.

Attachments

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Heres my trials bike when i first got it when i used to ride.

yay for avid ultimates and the ghetto micro-indexed shifter setup...

Middleburns are the shiz

Brooklyn Machine Works booster on the avid ultimate...mmmmm

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Dirty said:
Heres my trials bike when i first got it when i used to ride.

yay for avid ultimates and the ghetto micro-indexed shifter setup...

Middleburns are the shiz

Brooklyn Machine Works booster on the avid ultimate...mmmmm
:redX: :redX:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
iridebikes said:
Kris you have more fluidride stickers on your bike than I do, and I work there!

So this is a picture of my bike(a long time ago). I ended up crushing the downtube(my bad), but Mike DeSalvo hooked me up with a replacement. The only main difference now is that I have a new fork, 7" avid disc brake up front, and avid ultamite in the back, and different tires.
are those dx-32 rims? if so, who modded them and to what diameter? mine are like 5/8" i didn't want to go any bigger because it would start to eat into the interior wall of the rim (its the point where it seriously starts to affect strength). sexy other than that.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
are those dx-32 rims? if so, who modded them and to what diameter? mine are like 5/8" i didn't want to go any bigger because it would start to eat into the interior wall of the rim (its the point where it seriously starts to affect strength). sexy other than that.
They are dx 32's. I drilled them using a 7/8" hole saw. Works just fine, took a while because I drilled the guide holes first, then the big holes... all by hand. I sold my rear wheel, and will be swaping the front rim to the back, and lacing up my WTB laser lite front hub to a pre-drilled echo rim that's a bit lighter. I've seen someone to 1" holes in a dx 32... but that's a bit too big for my tasts. the 7/8" holes are plenty big, saves a bunch of weight and I had no problems with flatspots or dents or anything like that. a few dents, but those were on big 8 foot gap to 90' corner with too low of tire pressure... didn't quite make it, but didnt' pinch!

Jun 3, 2006
Thought as the new guy I would throw myself into the post......

Portland Oregon........

This is a pic of what I will be rolling in two weeks. I have had a P.3 for a few years now, great ride, urban mostly, but its too damn heavy for trials.

I am picking this Azonic up for $250, would love ya'll's feedback! I have to wait 2 weeks for it though, its almost into canada and the dude is coming to Portland on the 18th, saves me $100 in fuel!

I will post any mods as they come.......

Attachments

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Nice to see guys rockin Vees
Only the best! I ran a maggie for a couple weeks, I've just never been impressed with them other than on one bike. They're the new version, and he keeps his bike in perfect shape and adjustment all the time. But ya, Avid Ultimate's are pretty much the best thing ever!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
iridebikes said:
Only the best! I ran a maggie for a couple weeks, I've just never been impressed with them other than on one bike. They're the new version, and he keeps his bike in perfect shape and adjustment all the time. But ya, Avid Ultimate's are pretty much the best thing ever!
:stupid: werd i love my ultimate and sd-7

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
iridebikes said:
They are dx 32's. I drilled them using a 7/8" hole saw. Works just fine, took a while because I drilled the guide holes first, then the big holes... all by hand. I sold my rear wheel, and will be swaping the front rim to the back, and lacing up my WTB laser lite front hub to a pre-drilled echo rim that's a bit lighter. I've seen someone to 1" holes in a dx 32... but that's a bit too big for my tasts. the 7/8" holes are plenty big, saves a bunch of weight and I had no problems with flatspots or dents or anything like that. a few dents, but those were on big 8 foot gap to 90' corner with too low of tire pressure... didn't quite make it, but didnt' pinch!
hmmm... i may have to get the drill back out. are both F and R 7/8"? from what you've said i'd probably be comfortable and okay with that size in the front, but i dunno about the rear. also i ride mostly natural and i'm not at the point that i'm doing big move stuff yet.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
hmmm... i may have to get the drill back out. are both F and R 7/8"? from what you've said i'd probably be comfortable and okay with that size in the front, but i dunno about the rear. also i ride mostly natural and i'm not at the point that i'm doing big move stuff yet.
7/8" would be totally fine, unless you're 200 pounds and doing huge moves... if you feel uncomfortable with that big go 3/4". My rear wheel was suprisingly round and dent free for how low of pressure I was running for so long(12-18psi with a single wall 2.35 tire and xc tube for both natural and urban). Yes I had a few small imperfections in the rim and it wasn't 100% round, but I rode it for a long time and beat on it pretty good. now the wheel/rim is in the hands of a buddy of mine who's been getting into trials more and has the newbie harsh riding style that we all have when we're learing.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
iridebikes said:
7/8" would be totally fine, unless you're 200 pounds and doing huge moves... if you feel uncomfortable with that big go 3/4". My rear wheel was suprisingly round and dent free for how low of pressure I was running for so long(12-18psi with a single wall 2.35 tire and xc tube for both natural and urban). Yes I had a few small imperfections in the rim and it wasn't 100% round, but I rode it for a long time and beat on it pretty good. now the wheel/rim is in the hands of a buddy of mine who's been getting into trials more and has the newbie harsh riding style that we all have when we're learing.
i havent had any problems w/ iridebikes wheel. the build is amazing. and the riim is DOPE

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hmmm yah i am pushing 2 hundo so that may be a problem. the biggest drops i do on regular basis are about 5~6 foot range, but i've done up to 8 foot.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
ya, I mean you could be ok. It's going to be stronger than an echo rim, and maybe even a tryall. But it's your call. If you really want to save a lot of weight, go with bigger holes. I ran DT revolutions on one side of the wheel and straight gauge 1.8 on the other, and I did have some problems with the revo's, not breaking or wheel strength, but they stretch and twist, so trueing the wheel(when I rarely had to true it), was kind of a pain. I'd said you could run DT Comp 2.0-1.8-2.0 buttet spokes with 3/4" holes and be totally fine. I wouldn't worry about a thing with that build up. It's burly, the rim holds a grind longer than anyother rim out there, and they're cool because you can say that YOU drilled your rim. For some reason people dig on that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
iridebikes said:
they're cool because you can say that YOU drilled your rim. For some reason people dig on that.
i couldn't agree more. yes i think that its cool to see companies like try-all and echo taking a hint from riders and pre-drilling the rims, but at the same time it kinda takes away from the cool factor. Trials has always been more of a "home-grown" kind of sport, its very niche, its riders are very niche, and the equipment is very niche - and also heavily user modified. I'm somewhat surprised to see that they are selling pre-drilled rims before pre-ground rims. grinding has been around much longer, and has more performance gains.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the reason they don't pre grind the rims is that it is a temperary thing that is preferance from person to person. some people like a heavy grind where some people run little to no grind at all

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey rainer you coming to raccoon rally? vaughn has mentioned you quite a number of times and wasn't sure if you were still doing the competition thing.

Oct 9, 2003
I would love to come, but I have no idea what it is, who Vaughn is and why he mentions me. I live in Denmark, Europe and Rainer is not my real name:) Must be a mix-up:)

Jun 3, 2006
Quamen said:
Nice to see guys rockin Vees

I gotta say, it may be because of lack of using better equipment in the past, but I am amazed by these brakes........ I have no complaints yet, outside of color of course.

So this bike was a score in my eyes, ended up paying $200. Its set up nicely, I am sure there are better upgrades I'll make later, but for now this thing rocks.

Any suggestions on a fork guys?
I bought it soley for starting out in trials, but I can't help riding the damn thing harder & faster, any good forks that can A)lock out completely B)not change the geometry much C)accept the maggies D)not cost triple what I paid for the bike!

Thanks again for the input fellas

Miller

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
can you convert any small frame shaped like a trials frame into a trials bike, even if it isn't made for it??

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
can you convert any small frame shaped like a trials frame into a trials bike, even if it isn't made for it??
Yes you can. It can make learning that much harder however. Getting a bike that's designed for what you want to do helps out so much. It's the same kind of thing for wanting a bike to be able to ride cross country on, yet still go downhilling on it too. It is doable, but you're compromising on so many things.

I wouldn't suggest against it by any means. If you have a bike and you want to learn trials, by all means, please do. There's not a whole lot of trials guys out there. So if you have a bike, want to learn, get out there and to it! Try to find some local guys who also ride, because it's way easier to have someone who's there and can tell you what to do, or what not to do.

Good luck man!

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I just built up a 13" gary fisher marlin frame. All I did was swap out a few parts. It's working just fine for trials now. when the frame brakes I'm just going to swap it for a trials specific frame.

socalpride

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
Encinitas CA
im building a new trials bike out of an old 91 bmx dino frame, ive got everything but the handle bars and it is only at 15lbs! ill post some pics when im finished.