Quantcast

Post your other rides!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You dont need a aftermarket N75 (as there arent any) but there are J, F and K? Think J spikes more boost, H holds boost longer and K is the smoothest.
The turbo will be obviously louder under load. The hiss might not be a boost leak as much as the loaded turbo spooling.
which one should we get? mind you, we arent keeping this thing too long...just need something to hold us over. would a VW/Audi dealer have choices?....more boost/power is what im thinking..

i understand its mainly b/c its under more load, but the noise wasnt as predominant as it is now

Last edited:

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
any gain under the curve from only a diverter valve is nominal, at best. for all intents and purposes, a new diverter valve for IH8Rice's friend's car will most notably return the car to where it should be, and nothing more.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
any gain under the curve from only a diverter valve is nominal, at best. for all intents and purposes, a new diverter valve for IH8Rice's friend's car will most notably return the car to where it should be, and nothing more.
I think realistically you could pick from just about any of them, they are all the same cost and all OEM. different revisions were on different cars. I think the J revision was from the 225hp audi TT. Without being chipped or any other performance adders you might not see a difference between any of them.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I don't think your diverter valve would be an issue unless you're chipped. Those little K03's are only pushing 7psi max with a stock tune. With 130k on the clock, a boost leak is much more likely. Sometimes a simple look at the vacuum lines around the engine bay can yield results.

A bad N75 could definitely have merit though. I wouldn't throw parts at the car though - that's how things get real expensive real quick. If you have a friend with a Vag Com, you can run some tests before buying a new N75.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't think your diverter valve would be an issue unless you're chipped. Those little K03's are only pushing 7psi max with a stock tune. With 130k on the clock, a boost leak is much more likely. Sometimes a simple look at the vacuum lines around the engine bay can yield results.

A bad N75 could definitely have merit though. I wouldn't throw parts at the car though - that's how things get real expensive real quick. If you have a friend with a Vag Com, you can run some tests before buying a new N75.
we didnt want to throw any money at it either, but stock N75 and DV are a lot cheaper than a aftermarket.
she wants to bring it to Audi tomorrow to diagnose the electrical problem with the radio, but i dont feel like wasting my time bringing it there since electrical problems are sometimes impossible to diagnose and or fix.
i guess we'll go to see if they have any new used B7's there and see if they can throw a computer on there to check it out.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
we didnt want to throw any money at it either, but stock N75 and DV are a lot cheaper than a aftermarket.
she wants to bring it to Audi tomorrow to diagnose the electrical problem with the radio, but i dont feel like wasting my time bringing it there since electrical problems are sometimes impossible to diagnose and or fix.
i guess we'll go to see if they have any new used B7's there and see if they can throw a computer on there to check it out.
Where do you live? I can suggest some good shops possibly

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Where do you live? I can suggest some good shops possibly
PA.
my g/f got the car from a used VW/Audi dealership, but we've been going to a huge Audi/VW/Porsche dealership closer to the house.
theyve been straight with us about all the issues, so we actually felt comfortable going to a dealership for work.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
here is my bronco

its great at going places that it shouldn't be taken. good for getting groceries too!

shuttle rig, daily driver, dirt mover

thinking its time to sell one of the trucks and get a 60s sedan. getting tired of paying the ever increasing smog and weight fees in CA.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Not sure if your anywhere near York PA but you can try Euro Autosource. My friend Cory owns it and is a solid dude. (717) 846-2444

If your closer to MD say, try EuroTech my friend Neil is very close with those dudes and swears by them. 5937 Belair Road, Baltimore, MD‎ - (410) 325-6600‎

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure if your anywhere near York PA but you can try Euro Autosource. My friend Cory owns it and is a solid dude. (717) 846-2444
ill give him a shout. York is about a hour away and ill see if they can do anything after the trip to the dealership tomorrow.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone rocking an Audi Allroad? I'm thinking that might be a little more practical than an S4 Avant.
I am. I considered the S4 Avant but for my needs the allroad made more sense. I got the 4.2 V8 so it's the same engine anyway, but a heavier car.

I wondered about the air ride system. Seems good on paper but I'm sure it's pricey when they break.

I wish we had more sports wagons in the US. :rant:
Air ride can be a bit pricey, about $300 per corner for replacement air bags if they leak, but other than leaky bags it is generally pretty solid. I agree more wagon options would be nice, Audi is really the only company making (or at least made) decent sport wagons.

I wouldnt stray away from a good clean single owner allroad though
Exactly, that is what I did. Bought mine from original owner, a woman who just drove it around town, always went to dealer for service, and very low miles for the year. It wasn't perfect but I felt better about it than most of the other ones for sale.

allroads are awesome once you convert them to a coil-over setup. Finding a manual allroad is damn near impossible, but they do exist.
I still maintain that coil-over allroads are retarded. The main advantage and defining characteristic of the allroad is it's adjustable suspension. The new Arnott Gen2 air springs and Bilstein shocks is supposed to be a very nice upgrade for when the stock components go bad. 6 speed 2.7Ts are out there, they are about as rare as the V8 engine (which only comes in auto).

the aftermarket for the B6 S4, let alone the 4.2 V8 is highly exclusive and highly expensive! the horsepower-per-dollar just does not make sense, especially when i have plenty of motors laying around that make great swap candidates.

a stock B6 S4 will get <10mpg with spirited driving. my boat motor is capable of 20mpg on the highway, on 93 pump gas.
Agreed on the aftermarket stuff for 4.2 being expensive. Really, if modding is your thing the 2.7T is a much better choice and can be 500hp. The 4.2 is best left mostly stock and hopefully enjoys better reliability. No way is anyone getting <10 mpg, even with me flogging my heavy allroad the worst I have seen per tank is still only about 13. Average is about 17, highway 20. The problem with your engine swapped car is that it is now worthless, or at least will be very hard to find a buyer for.

Some pics of my allroad:

When I first got it:

With roof rack:

Off-road mode (with Geolander AT/S tires)

Toy hauling my other ride

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
Agreed on the aftermarket stuff for 4.2 being expensive. Really, if modding is your thing the 2.7T is a much better choice and can be 500hp. The 4.2 is best left mostly stock and hopefully enjoys better reliability. No way is anyone getting <10 mpg, even with me flogging my heavy allroad the worst I have seen per tank is still only about 13. Average is about 17, highway 20. The problem with your engine swapped car is that it is now worthless, or at least will be very hard to find a buyer for.
worthless? it has 650hp and gets 20mpg on pump gas, and i can launch the sh!t out of it without thinking twice about frying the clutch or blowing the diff. i didn't engine swap it because i wanted to increase its resale value. :rolleyes: if resale value was your thing, i struggle to find a reason why you would think an allroad is a good investment.

a flogged 4.2 S4 gets <10mpg. on the forums people report the real-time economy to frequently drop to 5-6mpg when they're really caning it. of course your average per tank is not going to be that low. you can't be WOT all the time. if the worst you've ever gotten was 13mpg, you drive like a girl. (you did, after all, buy a station wagon.)

modding is my thing, and no, the 2.7T is not a better choice. i would rather not have an anemic little motor that takes ages to build boost. my "boat motor" makes more torque at idle than your 4.2 V8 at 5500rpm.

i'm glad you enjoy your allroad.

have a nice day.

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i always find it funny when people buy cars with resale value being the main selling point.

i also think it would be awesome to stuff and LSX motor into a TT and really get wild.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
i always find it funny when people buy cars with resale value being the main selling point.

i also think it would be awesome to stuff and LSX motor into a TT and really get wild.
I think it would be way cooler to stuff a older Inline 5 20V into a TT and run urquattro sport running gear, basically making a newer sport quattro rallye car.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
worthless? it has 650hp and gets 20mpg on pump gas, and i can launch the sh!t out of it without thinking twice about frying the clutch or blowing the diff. i didn't engine swap it because i wanted to increase its resale value. :rolleyes: if resale value was your thing, i struggle to find a reason why you would think an allroad is a good investment.
I get it, the car is fun. And as long as you plan on keeping it forever, then your swap is a great idea. But if you do decide to move on to something else, good luck finding a buyer for that who is willing to pay what you want to get for it. Everyone knows Audis are money pits. I know my allroad depreciates faster than most cars, but the 4.2 does hold it's value better than 2.7T models. And since I'm not sure how long I will keep it, I want it to be worth something when it's time to get rid of it.

a flogged 4.2 S4 gets <10mpg. on the forums people report the real-time economy to frequently drop to 5-6mpg when they're really caning it. of course your average per tank is not going to be that low. you can't be WOT all the time. if the worst you've ever gotten was 13mpg, you drive like a girl. (you did, after all, buy a station wagon.)
This is hilarious. The real-time fuel economy means absolutely nothing. Of course I can get my car to get 5-6 mpg every time I floor it. I don't even have to floor it for that to happen, as the indicator will not show less than 6 mpg even if the car is consuming more than that. I can also get 40 mpg on flats or slight downhills. That doesn't mean I can say I get 40 mpg sometimes because we know that's not the case. Average per tank is the only real number to compare, and unless someone is at the track they are not getting <10 mpg on a regular basis. And I can assure you I drive the sh!t out of my allroad. Not to mention how many bikes + gear I can fit inside with room to spare. Oh and I can still take it off-roading, good luck doing that with your RWD torque monster.

This sounds fun. I doubt Audi will bring it to the US though...
That looks pretty sweet and would probably be a blast to drive. The A3 is small though, it's a tight squeeze to get bikes + gear inside.

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
I get it, the car is fun. And as long as you plan on keeping it forever, then your swap is a great idea. But if you do decide to move on to something else, good luck finding a buyer for that who is willing to pay what you want to get for it. Everyone knows Audis are money pits. I know my allroad depreciates faster than most cars, but the 4.2 does hold it's value better than 2.7T models. And since I'm not sure how long I will keep it, I want it to be worth something when it's time to get rid of it.
allow me to reiterate: i am not concerned about resale value. i paid next to nothing for the car (it had a blown engine), so i will not be in the hole if i ever decide to sell it.

This is hilarious. The real-time fuel economy means absolutely nothing. Of course I can get my car to get 5-6 mpg every time I floor it. I don't even have to floor it for that to happen, as the indicator will not show less than 6 mpg even if the car is consuming more than that. I can also get 40 mpg on flats or slight downhills. That doesn't mean I can say I get 40 mpg sometimes because we know that's not the case. Average per tank is the only real number to compare, and unless someone is at the track they are not getting <10 mpg on a regular basis. And I can assure you I drive the sh!t out of my allroad. Not to mention how many bikes + gear I can fit inside with room to spare. Oh and I can still take it off-roading, good luck doing that with your RWD torque monster.
my Audi can empty the 20gal fuel cell in 150 miles, but it's also capable of a 20mpg tank average on the highway. my car can lug around at 2000rpm and still accelerate faster than your stock 4.2 V8 at WOT.

i have a rock buggy (pictured earlier in this thread) and a highly modified nissan pathfinder for when i want to go off road. and i mean the real kind of off roading, not the kind that you brag about in your raised stationwagon on all-season tires. if i need to haul anything that won't fit in the audi or nissan, i drive my 3/4ton 4x4 chevy pickup with a modified 8.1-liter V8. the truck also is faster, quicker, and more capable off road than your allroad.

i'm glad you enjoy your allroad and i'm glad it serves you well. it may do everything well, but i have several vehicles among which they do everything exceptionally well.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I think it would be way cooler to stuff a older Inline 5 20V into a TT and run urquattro sport running gear, basically making a newer sport quattro rallye car.
Yes. Or hows about R8 running gear... Not very feasible but I'm sure someone has something in the works. Once upon a time I had a 1990 Coupe Quattro with a 20V turbo swap. It was really fun and that was in stock trim, if I had the money I could have easily had a 500 hp car. Unfortunately the time came and it had to go still miss it.

Mine looked pretty much identical to this only different wheels (old school dished BBS) I'll dig up some pictures soon.
that's why my audi has a carburetor ;)
That is gawd awful.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
i have a rock buggy (pictured earlier in this thread) and a highly modified nissan pathfinder for when i want to go off road. and i mean the real kind of off roading, not the kind that you brag about in your raised stationwagon on all-season tires. if i need to haul anything that won't fit in the audi or nissan, i drive my 3/4ton 4x4 chevy pickup with a modified 8.1-liter V8. the truck also is faster, quicker, and more capable off road than your allroad.

i'm glad you enjoy your allroad and i'm glad it serves you well. it may do everything well, but i have several vehicles among which they do everything exceptionally well.
I don't claim the allroad to be a truck or jeep, but it can handle a lot more terrain than any normal car. You are right though, it does do everything well. That is the whole point of the car and why I bought it. I wanted a car that was fun to drive, decently quick (I'm not saying my car is fast but it is quicker than most), handles well, can cruise the highway at autobahn speeds, can fit 2 or more bikes + gear inside for weekend trips, and can tow trailers with off-road toys into off-road areas. I don't want to have to own several cars to accomplish these tasks, and the allroad does all of them well.

sorry dude, hate to burst your bubble. but an allroad is not a capable "off roader."
No it's not, I didn't say it was, but for the occasional light offroading I use it for it is 100x better than a normal Audi (much to low) and also 100x better to drive on paved roads than a truck or jeep.

sure it is. didn't you see the driveway poser shot of it in "off road mode"?
You must have missed the picture of using it to tow my other toy (my racing mini-buggy) where it is muddy. And yes, when I want to do real off-roading I use the buggy not the allroad.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Love all the V-Dubs on here.

My wife drives an 03 Passat GLX with the 6cyl and 4motion. Love that car. VERY quick and turns like it is on rails.

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa

That looks pretty sweet and would probably be a blast to drive. The A3 is small though, it's a tight squeeze to get bikes + gear inside.
Stop arguing in my thread. This thread is for pictures and fun, not bull****. If you want to argue go to the car forums.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this should be stickied and moved to the lounge maybe?

seems most of us are gearheads too (and thankfully not all Suby owners ;))

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
:drool::drool::drool:

Dude - quit bringing the hate. There's no reason to be so cocky about your ability to shove a GM motor into a B6.

And have you ever actually ridden in a Stage 3 2.7T? There's hardly even noticeable turbo lag so I don't know why you seem to think it spools so slowly.
trust me, there is lag. have you ever ridden in a big-cube V8?

do not get upset when i "bring the hate" to your old car, when you just said my car is "gawd awful." :rolleyes:

Last edited: