Quantcast

Post your project car!

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Anyone have any sweet project cars?

Mine's a '66 VW Squareback named "Bridgette" I found her in a field where she sat since 1988. She was free!!!! I have just started tearing her down and I'm going to make her a runner one day!

This was how we found her
Bridgette 1.JPG

Getting her on the trailer!
Bridgette 6.JPG

What I've done so far
Bridgette 12.JPG

Lots of work ahead of me and my dad but we live and breathe VW's, and bikes haha!

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Nice. Hope you get it back on the road.

Buddy in high school had a square back, that car was awesome. Sadly, it now resides at the bottom of a steep hill wedged between a tree and a boulder on the bank of the Kaweah river.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
The latest addition to the family:

1977 Mercedes Unimog 416. Used to be Danish Army. I nixed the insulated canvas because it weighed like 300lbs with the hoops and made this thing even more difficult to back out of parking spaces.

I guess it doesn't need much done to it. There's some leaks, squeaks, and rattles; but nothing more than a quarter sized puddle, and the fluids levels haven't moved much since I bought it in Feb. I'm waiting on some brake shoes to clear customs before I can get it inspected.

Longer term, I'm going to fit it with factory hydraulics so I can plow in the winter, and next spring I'll probably fab up a 3 way dump bed and a rear 3 point hitch. I'm not sure if I'll ever paint it.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
I hadn't been on here in ages, when suddenly reddit got blocked at work. So now, I've come crawling back to you degenerates.

J/K. I'm trying to ride more and suck less, so I figured I'd better start hanging around some positive role models.

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Nice. Hope you get it back on the road.

Buddy in high school had a square back, that car was awesome. Sadly, it now resides at the bottom of a steep hill wedged between a tree and a boulder on the bank of the Kaweah river.
That is sad!! Squarebacks are my all time favorite VW, one of the coolest designed cars ever produced!

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
The latest addition to the family:

1977 Mercedes Unimog 416. Used to be Danish Army. I nixed the insulated canvas because it weighed like 300lbs with the hoops and made this thing even more difficult to back out of parking spaces.

I guess it doesn't need much done to it. There's some leaks, squeaks, and rattles; but nothing more than a quarter sized puddle, and the fluids levels haven't moved much since I bought it in Feb. I'm waiting on some brake shoes to clear customs before I can get it inspected.

Longer term, I'm going to fit it with factory hydraulics so I can plow in the winter, and next spring I'll probably fab up a 3 way dump bed and a rear 3 point hitch. I'm not sure if I'll ever paint it.
That is awesome! I have actually always wanted a Unimog...so jealous!!!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I miss my 67 Karmann Ghia. I should have never sold that car. My fave VW is the notchback, though.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
www.rockymountainmoggers.com used to have a list of brokers.....

there was a place called cold war re-marketing in colorado that sold unimogs/pinzgauer/haflinger.....
I've heard some iffy stuff about them. Not sure who to believe but either CWR or someone affiliated with them burned a guy on some repair work. Like I said, two sides to every story, but you gotta watch out when you're dropping some serious coin on one of these vehicles.

www.unimog.net/exchange

www.unimogshop.com

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
'87 toyota supra. got quite a bit of work to do. i have learned so much about cars form this car.

In 99 I had a 86 Subra. If it wasn't for the leaky radiator and engine I loved the car. Classic lines and rode really nicely. I think it looks better without the spoiler in the second picture.

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
I miss my 67 Karmann Ghia. I should have never sold that car. My fave VW is the notchback, though.
I like Karmann Ghia's, fun as hell to drive! And as for the Notchback, basically any Type 3 (Notchback, Squareback, Fastback) are my faves! My dad had a Fasty but we've never been lucky enough to find a decent Notch project for cheap.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
A '69 Karmann Ghia was my first car. My brother and I spent close to a year working on it - body work and engine. Less than two weeks after it came out of paint a Tahoe backed along the entire driver's side and then two days later I was rear-ended by a Suburban in the high school parking lot. One insurance company can't benefit from another insurance company, so it was actually totaled twice and we got both full amounts.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
'87 toyota supra. got quite a bit of work to do. i have learned so much about cars form this car.

My next project car is going to be a 90-ish MR2.

The Ghia was the only car I ever drove where I had people coming up to me offering to buy the car.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My next project car is going to be a 90-ish MR2.

The Ghia was the only car I ever drove where I had people coming up to me offering to buy the car.
The Ghia was one of two cars I had that happen with. The other was my FJ60 Land Cruiser.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
How it sits.

I did pull the rear bench and until I can get the seats redone decided to match the white leather to the black leather fronts I have. SEM Leather dye.

Modified B3/4 Passat Leather seats to fit the narrower seat rails.

Well mine went from a runner to a project. Going up to Whistler this summer and on the way back gonna snag a 2.0L ABA OBDII motor from a friend along with trans and full wiring harness.

What brought this on you say? Fuel Pump **** the bed, then put a new FP in and the car lost spark and fuel. Started replacing/diagnosing and nothing was making sense. Pulled the connectors on the fusebox and saw some crud. Decided to dump the fusebox and buy a new one. Opened the old one and saw lots of crud and rust.

Started sorting some of this mess. PO had wired a fuel pump kill switch (shadetree anti-theft)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Almost didn't post, but by now Im used to the minitruck hatred. ;)

Started working on this in 96. Lost interest around 2002. Still needs interior. It's making a good shelf in my garage at the moment...

This is the current project:

MUCH more practical.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I lost my lust for cars a long time ago but I've seen a few classic Volvos around here that make my trousers fit a little tight.

Maybe if I ever get a job again.

Last edited:

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Those Volvos :D

I also have a mini Toyota, not going to bag it or anything like that, it's going to be my beater. It was my daily driver until I blew the motor. Motor is currently 80% complete.

I did a sweet custom sunroof on it too!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA

We have a pair of Datsun 510 wagons that are running projects. May go to a Datsun 'car show' this weekend.
The green one is "His" and the yellow one is "Hers" or "Mine" as the case may be! (Hi honey :)) And yeah we're going to that show! Hope it's sunny!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My buddies uncle died and his aunt gave him a 1985 Celica. He just had to go to New Mexico and bring it back. The thing is mint and sick as hell. I did not realize that was a rear wheel drive vehicle.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I hope it's sunny too! At least not raining! You know how well the wipers work!

Uncle Cliffy,
What year/years did you go to Shasta? I drove down in '02 I think it was. Saw some really nice cars.
The green car has coil overs in front and de-arched and stiffened rear spring pack. I want to add some 2inch blocks to get the back a little lower. The Z24 looks really nice for these cars. I'm running an L20B with Dellorto 40's now and it goes pretty well for an old beater!