Quantcast

postal rate increase

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Well, I can understand both points of view. For people that mail a lot of stuff, that is a significant increase. Or for people that have books of $0.34 stamps, getting additional $0.03 stamps can be a pain in the butt.
On the other hand, most typical everyday people are using the internet for things that were typically done by mail. Mail to friends? Not a chance...we all use email now. I know I keep in touch even more with email. The post office's push for the postal service to be used - "There's nothing like getting a real letter" - yeah, that failed. Almost every single bill you have can be paid by electronic funds transfer.
In order for the Postal Service to continue to run and not have to make cut-backs (though I don't know what they are and are not allowed to do with a government position like that), they have to make up for the massive loss of funds due to the internet.

$0.37? No big deal to me. I hardly ever mail anything anyway.

T

Tenaciousle0

its hard to send a magazine through the internet:dancing:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
i'm quite angry about this extra 3 cents. my crank has been delayed due to it. roar. if nothing got delayed, i wouldnt have a problem with it.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I think that they are approaching the situation incorrectly. As an economics major, I can tell you that raising prices is usually not the best way to increase total revenue. What happens is that you lose many of your customers and sometimes total revenue and DECREASE with an increase in price.

Sometimes lowering prices is the answer. A lower price can entice lost customers to bring their money back to your firm, increasing total revenue.

I think that unless the post office makes some serious changes (cutbacks) they risk going bankrupt. I think that privitizing the post office might be an effictive way to reduce costs.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Ah yes, Mr. Dove, but keep in mind what strategy you're using -- common sense.
And think of the entity that we're talking about -- a governmental office.

Come on now, we can't have those two going together! :p

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Oh Crud, I mailed off a bunch of bills....with 34 cent stamps on the day of the switch....

:(

Now the bill collectors will want me to pay more....cause I didn't pay attention to the news....

Other than that, I don't really care....

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I'm not going to complain about $.37, but for crying out loud, can those yo-yos at least pull out the old $.34 stamps and put the new ones in the lousy vending machines.... :angry:

Friday, before coffe :rolleyes: I bought another book of 20 of the old ones, then had to go buy some of the three centers to go with it.

Damn...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Spud
I'm not going to complain about $.37, but for crying out loud, can those yo-yos at least pull out the old $.34 stamps and put the new ones in the lousy vending machines.... :angry:

Friday, before coffe :rolleyes: I bought another book of 20 of the old ones, then had to go buy some of the three centers to go with it.

Damn...
OK, very ligitimate gripe!!! That would piss ME off too!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the rate increase because they will not be able to charge a fee for e-mails?:confused: I'd much rather pay out for the snail mail, than have a $.03 charge tacked on to every e-mail! This has been a big debate in the office here for a few weeks now.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by VTinCT
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the rate increase because they will not be able to charge a fee for e-mails?:confused: I'd much rather pay out for the snail mail, than have a $.03 charge tacked on to every e-mail! This has been a big debate in the office here for a few weeks now.
urban legend