Quantcast

Posting photos

I used to use Photobucket for photos I wanted to post here on Ridemonkey. It generally sucked because any photo I posted led back to everything else I had stored there, which wasn't much. PB tried to start charging, and I wound up deleting my account.

Discounting Facebook, I generally don't keep photos out in the cloud.

This has pretty much led to my not posting photos on Ridemonkey recently.

I am seeking a repository specifically for posting photos on this site. Ideally, posting a single picture should not lead back to all the other images in the repository.

Who uses what, why, and how well does it work?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
you can upload to imgur without even having an account (or without being signed in). It just becomes another random picture on the internet.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
c'mon jbp...you don't want to pay $400 a year for the privilege of sharing your images? :D

that's what i started doing, but i don't like the "open for all the web" to see aspect...for photobucket, it was much easier to both control access and share. unless you followed an image into my public account, you wouldn't randomly stumble across my image on the site unless i tagged it with something you were searching for. also, if i made my account private there incould still share single images other places.

i posted about this a few weeks ago...any other thoughts? google photos didn't seem to be good for sharing either...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
20171007_220026.jpg

So I hit upload file and selected a photo on my phone I took... where are these photos stored? Am I filling some RM file bank with my images?

View attachment 126739

So I hit upload file and selected a photo on my phone I took... where are these photos stored? Am I filling some RM file bank with my images?
As I recall, and it could have changed, each of us has some small finite limit of space that we can use for photos. It's been a while since I paid this much attention, but a lot of stuff I would have posted here some time back winds up on Facebook instead.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I use flickr and it seems to work pretty well. I would say either flickr or imgur. Flickr is more PB-like where you have an account. Imgur works either way, so if you just want to upload a pic, it can be for the good of the internet. I got pissed at Photobucket too, used to host a lot of other stuff there, but the ads started to get out of control, data caps were crappy so your photos never displayed and the last thing I was going to do was give them money.

The other option is buy your own website and host yourself, which isn't all that hard or that expensive. And you can get the benefit of consistency, making your own e-mails and stuff like that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The limit for attachments here was massively increased several years ago. I'm not actually sure there's even a practical limit now. So feel free to just embed attachments into the posts. Disk space is relatively cheap.

For everything else, Imgur is simple, and satisfies your requirement. It's got pretty good management - you can see your own folders and files, and organize things well, but everyone else only sees your links (which have randomized file names).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The limit for attachments here was massively increased several years ago. I'm not actually sure there's even a practical limit now. So feel free to just embed attachments into the posts. Disk space is relatively cheap.
question for ya - is it possible / feasible to implement a script or something that would automatically reduce the size of large photos when they are uploaded?