Quantcast

Posture??

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'll admit it, I'm looking for reasons not to work...so I'm standing here...well alternately standing at my raised desk or kneeling on an office chair...and remembering all the posture lessons from when I was a kid.

Is anyone else like oddly conscientious of their posture?

I see lots of young girls in heels who look like a horse with their back hunched over as they slide along in their weird shoes....I was never really allowed to wear heels unless I was able to stand and walk in them with proper posture...

Seems sometime that people's pride in their overall appearance keeps sliding...I notice posture and how someone stands right off when I first meet them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey Jr I was just kidding about the :stosh:

Anyway I don't pay attention to my posture much other than knowing is sucks.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I can tell you this... my posture is MUCH better now that I have a couple of 8" titanium rods holding me upright! :D

And then I can tell you another thing... I've been paying a lot of attention to my posture lately, and it kind of bums me out when I see people with bad posture... it's totally, like, a self-appearance issue. I saw a really pretty girl in a restaurant last night, but HORRIBLE, hunched over posture and it made me wonder if she was shy, or nervous, or had low-self esteem or something?

Posture says a lot about you. Even if it IS just sucking in your gut!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I rode horses a lot as a kid and had an instructure who used to whack your lower back with a riding crop if you slouched. Not really hard, but enough to remind you and sting a little bit.

So, bad posture was literally beaten out of me :D

As a result, almost every chair I sit in has to have the back straight up, or its uncomfortable.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've had bad posture for so long that it's the only way I'm comfortable. This stupid ergonomic work station at the office is killing me!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and women with good posture are far sexier than ones who slouch.. It gives them the appearance of confidence.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by binary visions
I rode horses a lot as a kid and had an instructure who used to whack your lower back with a riding crop if you slouched. Not really hard, but enough to remind you and sting a little bit.

So, bad posture was literally beaten out of me :D

As a result, almost every chair I sit in has to have the back straight up, or its uncomfortable.
I alternate between slouching or sitting ramrod straight in chairs, but standing/walking my posture is a result of too many years of gymnastics and violin - both demanding good posture.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I have very good posture standing up. It's a combo of playing a musical instrument for a couple years, working in a restaurant, and hating the fact that poor posture can give off the wrong impression. Sitting down is a different story. Any suggestions on how my chair and desk should be setup? Or better yet, how is your stuff setup at work? Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
too many years of gymnastics and violin - both demanding good posture.
Funny, never thought of that. I played violin as a kid too. That probably contributed to it as well.

reflux: I have my chair pretty high and my monitor straight in front of my eyes... If your monitor is not too high or too low, it tends to help your posture.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by binary visions
Funny, never thought of that. I played violin as a kid too. That probably contributed to it as well.

reflux: I have my chair pretty high and my monitor straight in front of my eyes... If your monitor is not too high or too low, it tends to help your posture.
There were some kids who would slouch while playing...but my teacher demanded perfection (prolly a lot like your horse instructor). She'd clip my nails upon arrival, and if I slouched while standing and playing she'd say something, and at symphony concerts because I was always on the very outside she'd comment on my appearance and posture while playing seated.

The key to having a good looking walk in high heels is to make sure your shoulders are back and that your leg straightens as your foot hits the ground and moves back. You have to keep the weight to the back, on the heels.
Look at women as they walk, so many never straighten their legs, they are always a bit bent, with the weight on their toes, thus slumping along.
If we’re going to wear the stupid things, we should at least do it right.
;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Originally posted by Yippie!
The key to having a good looking walk in high heels is to make sure your shoulders are back and that your leg straightens as your foot hits the ground and moves back. You have to keep the weight to the back, on the heels.
Look at women as they walk, so many never straighten their legs, they are always a bit bent, with the weight on their toes, thus slumping along.
If we’re going to wear the stupid things, we should at least do it right.
;)
Having a hard time picturing the right method. Could we get some pictures of the correct method?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Having a hard time picturing the right method. Could we get some pictures of the correct method?
Also, I'm not sure we can get the full effect if there are clothes covering the legs, so I'd prefer if the pictures were taken in some sort of undergarment.