Quantcast

Pot legalization impact on racing?

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
With the growing movement towards decriminalizing marijuana and all that that entails, what will the future hold as far as racing goes?

If the sticky become legal, how will the governing bodies change the doping testing banned substances list?

Im not looking for an argument about whether it should happen or not, but what changes might take place within the bylaws of our sport (all disciplines, not just mtb)

*inserts Myles Rockwell comeback joke*

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
May sound like a stupid question but is it performance enhancing?
Depends on the person, not as much enhancing like steroids for strength but mind changing, allowing more freedom to not worry about trying to jump something to big.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It'll stay on the banned substances list. The banned list is generated by WADA, not the USADA.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I don't think that it will affect any race rules. Even though it will eventually get legalized, each governing race body will most likely continue to ban it because it is mind altering.... and yes, in certain individuals, it is a performance enhancer. :brows:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I have a feeling the law and testing/doping regulations are not going to change at all. First of all, mountain biking and mtb racing does not solely exist in California. unfortunate flaw #1.
and secondly, I believe, Prop 19 is strictly a state law and the FEDERAL ban on any drugs, "performance enhancing" or obviously not, will probably not be going anywhere for a long time.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
and... probaby the most important of all the doping lists dont have any connection with the law. For example alcohol is on a lot of banned substances lists :D

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Erythropoietin is not a substance that is "per se" illegal in RL (although it is only available on prescription), yet it is illegal to use it in a sports environmnet a.k.a. doping
same logic applies to mary jane.
if you will encounter drug tests in your sport, it would be wise to let off the bong. or you should be prepared to live with the consequences....

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
For some reason the idea of testing at most of the local races I've been to just makes me giggle like I've got the munchies and there's a Beavis and Butt-Head marathon on...