Quantcast

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
kindtrails said:
Sour diesel and Nyc diesel are the same thing. I think they call it sour because it tastes funny! (stoney, just does,t taste good!)
No, there is a difference. I am not sure what though. I think it is a cross between East Coast Sour Diesel & NYC Diesel....

Where is LL when you need him? :)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ciaran said:
Hey, here's an interesting question for everyone... how many of you can actually find those fancy strains you see in Holland and such? Strains like AK-47, Trainwreck mentioned above, or White Widow. How bout a true Skunk # 1, or a true Northern Lights (which I love by the way).

It seems like there are people who have good herb that's all called "chronic" and such, but finding real strains can be tough. I'd love to have a variety on hand... a little sativa for the mornings to get going with coffee... a heavy indica before bed.
Many people see fancy strains and don't know what they're getting and many others get less impressive strains that are passed off as fancy ones by greedy profiteers. The only way to truly know what you have is by visiting a reputable seed bank and doing it yourself. There is just too much $$ to be made otherwise to prevent false advertising.

Your take on the proper time to enjoy each strain is correct, by the way.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Ciaran said:
I think the simplest way is:

(and correct me if I am wrong)

There are four main types of weed... Ruderalis, Hemp, Sativa, and Indica. Hemp is well, hemp. Ruderalis I am not too sure about... has THC but not much or something like that. Sativa produces a more uplifting high. An Indica will produce a heavy stone.

Sativas need a ton of light and grow tall and thin. Indicas can do with a little less light and are more compact tand thick.

All these crazy strains are crosses of the sativa and indica and are an attempt to breed the better traits of othe plants into one.

Check out www.drchronic.com for some of the different strains available.
1. Hemp should never be confused with weed. Yes, it is descended from a common ancestor but calling hemp(a fibrous, non-intoxicating plant) weed(as in intoxicating cannabis) is like calling hops weed...and yes, beer-brewing hops and cannabis share a common ancestor even though they are very dissimilar now.

2. Cannabis Sativa, Cannabis Indica/Afghanica, and Cannabis Ruderalis are the three main subsets of cannabis. Some people differentiate between Indica(origins in Indian Subcontinent) and Afghanica(origins in N. Africa/Middle East), but for the purposes of breeding, those types are so similar as to be almost synonymous. Here are the main differences in growth pattern and high characteristics:

a. Cannabis Sativa- originated in Southeast Asia but popularized in this hemisphere by our Central and South American friends who discovered that equatorial strains grew well there. Highs most often described as light, sparkling, mental, psychedelic, uplifting or energizing. Growth pattern is tall, lanky, sparse or airy with good calyx to leaf ratios, usually white stigmas, lighter green leaves and with moderate resination. They taste/smell perfumy, spicy, aromatic and sugary sweet and they require a lot of light, prefer MH(blue) light, don't grow well outside in Northern latitudes, and grow and finish more slowly, e.g. Haze, Thai, etc.

b. Cannabis Indica/Afghanica- originated in Indian Subcontinent through N. Africa/Middle East. Highs most often described as heavy, intoxicating, physical, narcotic, sleepy or couchlock-inducing. Growth pattern is shorter, stocky and dense with worse calyx to leaf ratios, usually white but often purple or red stigmas, darker green color and with heavy resination. They taste/smell strong, acrid, lemony and/or skunky, require less light for similar output, prefer HPS(red) light, grow well outside in Northern latitudes and grow & finish more rapidly, e.g. Afghani #1, Hindu Kush, etc.

c. Cannabis Ruderalis- originated in Slavic/Russian Steppes. Highs very modest to weak. Other characteristics very similar to Indica/Afghanica. Growth pattern short, stocky and dense, but even more so than Indica/Afghanica. Not a particularly good species to smoke, but great for breeding with high-THC sativas because it makes them more manageable in Northern latitudes...faster growing and finishing.

Personally, I favor Indica/Sativa hybrids like Skunk #1(75% sativa/25% indica) up to about a 50%/50% ratio plant like Shiva Skunk(SK1 x NL5).

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
damn-I just smoke it, not study it......good info though! I am now searching.......to find someone who has either diesel variety which is actually done right! There are sooo many varieties going around here. My buddy with a 15er said he was getting the sour to mess with....we'll see what happens...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
TN said:
No, there is a difference. I am not sure what though. I think it is a cross between East Coast Sour Diesel & NYC Diesel....

Where is LL when you need him? :)
I have no personal experience with either strain, so any info I could provide would just be googled. If you want to learn about different strains, what they're like and how to identify them by their varied characteristics, get a good book on cannabis genetics like Robert Connell Clarke's treatise MJ Botany: An Advanced Study on The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis. For info on more recent boutique strains, review the seed catalogs of reputable seed companies like Sensi Seeds or Sagarmatha Seeds of Amsterdam, The Federation Seed Company in B.C., etc.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
binary visions said:
Got any backup documentation for that?

It's well documented that mold grows in a (relatively) narrow range of temperatures, about 40-100 degrees F, and that temperatures above 100 degrees kill it. Obviously, that's well below the temperature that the pot is burning at.
did you ever stuff your face in the bag and inhale to enjoy the aroma ...thats how that stuff happens:clue: plus they dont call it dope for nothing. i ahve not smoked in over four years still cant remember.....

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
almost quiting time...work that is.
I'll be home by 4:15 to pay respect by 4:20.
The new crop is in. Best citrus flavour I ever tasted.
Grapefruit...$50/seed

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:dead:

Health Hazards

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain. Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is acted on by the hippocampus. This is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that THC suppresses neurons in the information-processing system of the hippocampus. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate.

Effects on the Lungs. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers have. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. Continuing to smoke marijuana can lead to abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke.

Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to marijuana users inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior. A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. The findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.

Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
kindtrails said:
Who is this n8 guy? Why does he even post here?... PROVE IT! (hits the bong...)
Ahhh yes... your N8 intro. You have to learn to ignore N8. He's either a troll (most likely) or a republican moron but he's been here forever.

Best thing is to ignore him. If you reply back he keeps going. (Sigh...) Unless you ask him to prove facts. Then all you get is crickets. He's usually in the political forum (Do not go in there... it's a shark tank) drinking martinis because they are good for your health.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.
Chicken / Egg?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
DHracer1067 said:
Na it's all the same except that nug in the upper right corner. The picture is just kinda weird.
From the looks of it, somebody up the "food chain" from you likely pinched a nug and substituted one of mid-grade, mostly seedless commercial from either Mexico, Jamaica or B.C. That one bud looks like somewhat compressed mostly sativa middy while the rest looks like more puffy and trichome-coated like a good homegrown hybrid. It may become more difficult for substitutions like that to occur as recently in the VA/DC/MD area, commercial imports have become increasingly more rare than homegrown. Either way, I can practically taste that yummy, frosted citruskunk love. :drool:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Do you smoke before you ride, during a ride, or after? (Or all three?)

I can smoke before, but I lose motivation to ride. If I can get out there I find that I work off the stone and feel pretty good. But I have to get out there first.

Mid ride sessions are great, unless I have a ton more climbing in front of me.

And everyone loves a post ride session. Can't be beat!

How bout you?

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
konabiker said:
Going to see Damian Marley and Ben Harper in concert tommorow...yeah it's going to be dank.
I wish I could show you guys my phone videos from this concert. There was literally a cloud of smoke in the air. Damian did lots of his dad's music, too, which was reallly awesome.

thebuffalo

Chimp
Aug 18, 2006
boulder CO
konabiker said:
I wish I could show you guys my phone videos from this concert. There was literally a cloud of smoke in the air. Damian did lots of his dad's music, too, which was reallly awesome.
yeah man, i saw that concert in san diego. good people, good music. i think damian outplayed ben tenfold, that kid knows how to write music. he didn't play alot of his dad's stuff in SD, which is fine by me, his stuff is really good.:thumb:

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
thebuffalo said:
yeah man, i saw that concert in san diego. good people, good music. i think damian outplayed ben tenfold, that kid knows how to write music. he didn't play alot of his dad's stuff in SD, which is fine by me, his stuff is really good.:thumb:
Totally agree with that, I thought Damian should have been the main act. Ben can slay on a guitar, though.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Ciaran said:
Do you smoke before you ride, during a ride, or after? (Or all three?)

I can smoke before, but I lose motivation to ride. If I can get out there I find that I work off the stone and feel pretty good. But I have to get out there first.

Mid ride sessions are great, unless I have a ton more climbing in front of me.

And everyone loves a post ride session. Can't be beat!

How bout you?
All the above. Before as a wake-n-bake or just for the fun of it, during for a chillbreak and to re-up the focus/tunnelvision and after for pain relief/relaxation. I like it for climbing, also, because you can zone out easier and not dwell on the discomfort so much.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
No , i don't burn anymore.
But the U.S should take some notes on what Canada is doing.
The U.S should do the same thing as Canada on alot of things..

thebuffalo

Chimp
Aug 18, 2006
boulder CO
ATOMICFIREBALL said:
No , i don't burn anymore.
But the U.S should take some notes on what Canada is doing.
The U.S should do the same thing as Canada on alot of things..
well at least colorado is taking some steps in the right direction. as far as i know it's not illegal to own up to an ounce as long as it isn't "bagged for resale".... thats only in denver thought.. i wish in boulder... but thats still good!

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
thebuffalo said:
well at least colorado is taking some steps in the right direction. as far as i know it's not illegal to own up to an ounce as long as it isn't "bagged for resale".... thats only in denver thought.. i wish in boulder... but thats still good!
i thought that you had to be atleast 21+ to carry it though.