Quantcast

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ATLANTA -- Georgia retailers soon will be banned from selling candy flavored to taste like marijuana to children.

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue signed a measure into law Wednesday that bans the sale of "marijuana flavored products" to minors -- anyone under 18 -- and calls for a fine of up to $500 for each offense.

The measure takes effect July 1st.

It targets businesses that sell the candies with drug-inspired names such as "Kronic Kandy" and "Pot Suckers."

The law says the candies promote drug use.

Senator Doug Stoner pushed the bill in the senate. "I don't think that folks are aware this is going on," Stoner told Channel 2 in April. "It's mainly, from what I can tell, particularly targeted to minority communities."

State Representative Judy Manning said she was shocked to receive death threats over the bill to ban the candy. "Some people think their rights are their rights," she said.

Manning said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation traced her e-mail threat to Great Britain. “You just deal with those kinds of folks and do the best you can. But it sends the wrong kind of message to kids.”

Vote Hemp, a national organization that promotes the use of hemp products and tracks legislation, says the measure would make Georgia the first state to ban the sale of the candy to minors.
Oh come on!

Senator Stoner?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Trust me, the part of your brain that would have been able to convince we squares otherwise has been paralyzed by the secret Paraquat enzymes the CIA put in all the marijuana genomes in the 1970's.
haha oh man. that's funny stuff.

you really believe that? wow.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Dutch marijuana coffee shops brace for smoking ban

By TOBY STERLING, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 21 minutes ago

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - This city's famed marijuana bars have weathered many challenges over the years and are still smoking. But now they face an unwelcome blast of fresh air: On July 1, the Netherlands will be one of the last European countries to ban smoking in bars and restaurants in compliance with EU law.

The Health Ministry says the ban will apply to cafes that sell marijuana, known as coffee shops. But this being Holland, which for centuries has experimented with social liberalism, there's a loophole: The ban covers tobacco but not marijuana, which is technically illegal anyway.

But that still leaves coffee shops and their customers in a bind. Dutch and other European marijuana users traditionally smoke pot in fat, cone-shaped joints mixed with tobacco.

"It's the world upside down: In other countries they look for the marijuana in the cigarette. Here they look for the cigarette in the marijuana," said Jason den Enting, manager of coffee shop Dampkring.

Shops are scrambling to adapt. One alternative is "vaporizer" machines, which incinerate weed smokelessly. Another is to replace tobacco with herbs like coltsfoot, a common plant that looks like a dandelion and that smokers describe as tasting a bit like oregano.

But most shops are just planning to increase their sales of hash brownies and pure weed — and are hoping the law isn't enforced.

Michael Veling, owner of the 4-20 Cafe and a board member of the Cannabis Retailers' Union, said he expected a small decline in sales as smokers are forced to separate their nicotine addiction from their marijuana habit.

But he expects the long-term effects to be minimal. "It's absurd to say that coffee shops will go bankrupt in the second week of July. Nonsense," he said.

Veling is instructing his staff to send tobacco smokers outside, but he doesn't expect all coffee shops to do the same. He said some owners will ignore the ban — and will probably get away with it, at least for a while.

But "if obeying the smoking ban becomes a condition of renewing your business license, just watch how fast it will happen," he said. "That's the way things work."

Chris Krikken, spokesman for the Food and Wares Authority, charged with enforcing the ban, said his agency won't be targeting coffee shops in particular.

"For the first month we'll just be gathering information about compliance in a wide range of hospitality businesses. Depending on what we find, we may focus more squarely on a sector that's lagging," he said.

But he said individual businesses caught allowing customers to smoke will be warned and definitely checked again. "Repeat offenders will face escalating fines," he said.

Marijuana possession is illegal in the Netherlands, but smokers are not prosecuted for holding up to 5 grams. Around 750 cafes — half of them in Amsterdam — are licensed to have up to 500 grams in stock at any one time.

The Dutch "tolerance" policy recognizes that some people will smoke pot regardless of laws, so it might as well happen in an orderly way. Critics complain this encourages substance abuse.

But cannabis abuse in Holland ranks somewhere in the middle compared to other nations and is lower than in the U.S., France and England, according to statistics compiled by the United Nations' Office on Drugs and Crime.

At the same time, the levels of THC — the main active chemical in marijuana — have soared in the past decade and are now at 16 percent in Dutch weed.

The U.S. government sounded the alarm earlier this month because THC in American marijuana has doubled to 9.6 percent since 1983, and it warned of recent scientific findings linking the drug to mental problems.

The Dutch government, currently led by a conservative coalition with a religious bent, is slowly squeezing back the number of coffee shops by not renewing licenses when shops close.

Growers are arrested, leaving coffee shop owners struggling to obtain their main product.

"The rules are being set to pester us out of business one by one, slowly but surely," said Richard van Velthoven, manager at The Greenhouse, who said he feared being shut down for tobacco violations.

"I've taken the cigarette machines out, I'm putting Coltsfoot on the tables, I've bought extra vaporizers, the staff is watching out — what more can I do?" he said.

German tourist Lars Schmit said lamented the possible end of an era.

Without coffee shops, he said, "a little bit of Amsterdam will die."

:happydance: De Dampkring and The Greenhouse are both excellent coffeeshops, by the way. Further South and away from the Centrum and Niewmarkt(Red Light District), they have a more local, mellow clientele, the absolute diggidiest of Diggidy Dank and I've misplaced many a happy hour in each one. :happydance:

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Whats up fellow stoner's, Ive been enjoying weed for a little over 2 years now. And when I combined biking and smoking it has really taken me to new heights (literally). Last group that I rode with didn't smoke and criticized it, now that I ride alone none of their bitching is there. Toke on brothers.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
:happydance: De Dampkring and The Greenhouse are both excellent coffeeshops, by the way. Further South and away from the Centrum and Niewmarkt(Red Light District), they have a more local, mellow clientele, the absolute diggidiest of Diggidy Dank and I've misplaced many a happy hour in each one. :happydance:
I was really disappointed by all the coffeeshops in Amsterdam, so many were dark, cramped, and smoky. Is there no desire for a brightly-lit place with good ventilation and maybe some windows? I found The Other Side (in the Centrum, right off the Leidsplein) to be nice, the owner was super cool and their smoking area wasn't like every other one I was in. There was another one in De Jordaan on the Princengracht that I saw that was full of windows and plants.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I was really disappointed by all the coffeeshops in [the touristy part of] Amsterdam, so many were dark, cramped, and smoky. Is there no desire for a brightly-lit place with good ventilation and maybe some windows? I found The Other Side (in the Centrum, right off the Leidsplein) to be nice, the owner was super cool and their smoking area wasn't like every other one I was in. There was another one in De Jordaan on the Princengracht that I saw that was full of windows and plants.
Both of the ones I mentioned would have been perfect for you. Those near Centraal Station or in Nieuwmarkt tend to be more like techno honky tonks than any place you'd like to actually chill at. Lucky Mothers downstairs area is kind of like a typical hippy hangout with big comfy couches, bean bag chairs and low tables. There is one called Grey Area just East of Prisengracht and NW of Dam Square that is "Americanized" and has excellent quality product...especially the Grey Mist kif. Prinsengracht was where I usually went after hitting up Grey Area because there is a GREAT pannenkoekenhuis right there on the East side of it near the Anne Frank Museum. Jordaan is where to go when you feel like drinking liquor and meeting regular people other than 'heads. For beer, the Heineken Museum and Belgian Beer Bar(near Opera House NW of Heineken) are must-dos. I'm still bummed that I don't get to go again this Fall as originally planned. :plthumbsdown:

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
As for smoking ban and possible influence on weed:
I think it has more to do with the guys in charge of the city. Right now I would be more afraid about RL District than pot(joints) in Amsterdam.
I live near and i passed 2 CShops yesterday. I am pretty sure (all thou i had some wine ;) that it was smogged as usuall it is not Amsterdam thou.

Last edited:

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
I only smoke the finest, and I love the taste of some chronic, so when I do smoke I prefer my joints and glass pipes. I will smoke out of a bong, but I have pretty low body fat and get stoned real quick...

elRey

Turbo Monkey
so i am moving into a new apartment this weekend and am worried about smoking weed in it and new neighbors and such. its gonna be winter soon and i dont wanna have to go outside and freeze every time i blaze. does anyone know of any good air purifiers or ways to smoke indoors and eliminate nasty odor and smoke?

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
so i am moving into a new apartment this weekend and am worried about smoking weed in it and new neighbors and such. its gonna be winter soon and i dont wanna have to go outside and freeze every time i blaze. does anyone know of any good air purifiers or ways to smoke indoors and eliminate nasty odor and smoke?
Back in college, we used to get a bounce fabric softener sheet or two, cover one end of an empty paper towel roll with a rubber band and exhale the smoke into it. Made the smoke smell very snuggly.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Back in college, we used to get a bounce fabric softener sheet or two, cover one end of an empty paper towel roll with a rubber band and exhale the smoke into it. Made the smoke smell very snuggly.

yeah I used that method last year in the dorms. might try it again i guess, but i don't like how roach the tube gets after smoking with it for a while... also the tube doesn't eliminate the smoke, it just masks it very heavily.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise

Yeah, It may smell snugglerific but it still smellz like teh herbz.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
as i sit here contemplating, aka stoned, i am wishing i had jumped on the opportunity to get some northern lights and/or big bud. i do probably owe my roommate for smoking me up for the past month.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
bid bud as far as I know is commercial bc nugget...

the chronic is on its way as the grow season comes to an end. i know, locally, the heads are starting to come around more often and plentiful

elRey

Turbo Monkey
been here a few weeks now and its pretty chill. most of the people are students. i have a roommate but he blazes too, naturally. the thing that worried me was windows and balcony's are quite close and smoke gets blown easily into peoples places. haven't had a problem yet tho!

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
oh wow the pot thread. i nearly forgot about this. anywayse i enjoyed the comments about beer and they have lead to a new discovery. Apparently aside from all the regular hemp lagers i have had there is actually weed beer. It gives you a weed buzz and is available for $15 a bottle in amsterdam at the cafes. I have been looking for related web sites that mention it but haven't found out anything. I just heard about it from a friend who went to amsterdam.

talk about flogging a dead horse... anyway i am really just here because i love weed. i will list the names that i have sampled to date as far as i can remember from the past few years...

sour diesel
ny diesel
skunk#1
afghani
dutch treat
bubble gum
cheese
juicy fruit
primo limo
red wine
white shark
white widow
white rhino
lemon
purple indica
shiva
regular unleaded
northern pearl
chocolate thai
bubble hash
columbian gold
gold seal hash
columbian
strawberry
m-39
ak-47
facepeeler
grapefruit
mango
blueberry
jack herer
kush
hashplant
freezenet
time warp

anyhow that is all i can remember for now. yah i think i spend more money on this stuff than i do bikes. NAW

Here is a picture of some young dutch treat

Last edited:

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
the latest most phenomenal weed i have has eluded me for a year. it is on my list of course, CHEESE. It was a new frontrunner in amsterdam last year and i heard about it from a roomate who went there. It was being entered into the cannibus cup for the first time. Anyway he got his hands on it and tried it and told me about it and its 3 layers of smelly orange funkiness. Well seeds were not available in Canada this past spring for cheese because it was so new. I nearly got someone who was going to amsterdam to send me some seeds of it. It didnt pan out but someone else made sure they had it last spring and now just after harvest time I have it.

So I took a picture of it today as I have saved this bud i have for half a month, best for last you know. This is my thanksgiving weed that i have so specially hidden away from prying eyes until now. I planted it in my glass bong which i will also unveil. Stay tuned for when I upload it this evening.

I had more of this cheese weed which i have sampled. It makes me cough my lungs out but holy crap it hits me for hours. I kid you not, it tastes just like the actual Dutch cheese I sampled from amsterdam. I had to try their farmers cheese first to place the flavour.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
looks tasty.... I recently quit mokin. as I was getting cloudy.. I quit drinking too.... I'm going to try playing hockey this year so I need to get into shape for fighting again....weed takes the fight out of me..

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
ooh, interesting thread. as a fellow mtber, i support marijuana use for those who use it. ive smoked for going on 7 years now. i consider myself a responsable user. i smoke everyday when i get home from work. i dont drive with it, i dont bring it anywhere. Im a bit of a "weed snob". i will only toke on exotics, and i pefer to smoke out of glass and water only. i am a dh/bmx racer so it does effect my respitory system, very minimal though. my legs will give out before my lungs do, so dont have to worry about it that much. im not trying to make a living out of racing. i am a grower as well. drying and curing romulan and pink kush right now. my favorite buds of all time have to be Kush and Hash Plant. coulnt mistake those smells or tastes if i tried. i use my gravity bong more than any other piece i have. it is the most efficient bong in existence. i do have lots of respect for anybody who chooses not to smoke or associate with pot. most do not realize that it is a beautiful complex flower with remarkable smell and gorgeous colors and glistening trichromes. sorry i could go all day on this subject, but im going home and toking!