Quantcast

Potato Salad... what you got for unique recipes?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So, I've been trying to eat a little better, making small changes to cut out things that are fatty and salty and some other stuff. One thing I've stopped eating a lot of is cheese and dairy. I used to have cottage cheese pretty regularly... at lunch, as a snack, whatever. So now that that's gone, I would like to replace it with a small "lunch side" if you will.

I like potato salad. But store-bought potato salad can be kinda blah, and/or it's just filled with gobs of sugar and mayo and fatty things. I know it doesn't have to be this way, I've had better, healthier potato salads. We've made this French-inspired Herbed Potato Salad from Cookie + kate and it's the bomb dot com, we often bring it as our contribution to BBQs and the like. Always a hit. I'm eyeballing this Healthy Potato Salad with Yogurtª to try out this week or next, looks like a nice riff on a classic 'Murican version.

So whatya got? Anything good?

I fully expect at least a few of you to talk shit about potato salad being gross and all. That's fine, you can be wrong. I'm from the midwest, y'ain't gonna find me dissing the tater salad.

ªAnd I know some of you wise guys are gonna squawk about me cutting back on dairy and then going for a yogurt-based something or other. Short version; can it. Longer version; yogurt (specifically reduced fat Greek yogurt) is the one dairy I'm still eating regularly. Whether or not to cut it back or out is a debate I have in my head occasionally.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No input from me, as I never make my own. But potato salad is one of my weaknesses. Its so damn good.

There was some potato salad posts somewhere here..somewhere?

The local grocery store makes their own - no clue what is in it other than bacon and that its not super creamy, but god damn it tastes good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
being from pennsylvania, i'm partial to amish / dutch potato salad, which uses mustard.

this one uses sour cream in place of mayo, which is probably only marginally healthier at best

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another thing i do - i roast a lot of potatoes and keep them on hand to add to things as needed. i'll have them with rice or some leftover chicken or something. fancy them up with some other veggies and some sauce or something.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I save left over potatoes. For both Chips and Potato salads. I never make it the same way twice. If I have Bacon. I add it. Capers, pimentos, shallots, green onions. I use Hellmans unless I can get Dukes. White pepper, paprika, season salt. Whatever you have on hand is good. A dash of redwine vinegar. Cheese and shredded carrots is good too. There was a Deli in Montreal. I cannot remember the name. It had the best Potato Salad anywhere. The Pan sauce they served on the Brisket would soak into the Potato Salad. It was joyous.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
3# of Red potatoes stay unpeeled, anything else gets peeled. slice or chunk to your preferred size/shape.
Bring to a boil in some heavily salted h2o. Just long enough that they are still a touch firm. Throw in 4-6 eggs at the same time. One decent sized yellow onion, diced.

Mayo and coarse dijon mustard, S&P to taste. Add JUST the egg yolks. Stir all that up to get it nice and smooth.

Then add smoked paprika to taste. But don't be skimpy. Or garlic powder, cumin, curry powder, whatever.

Super easy, basic, and blows most store bought crap out of the water.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Pick whatever potato salad recipe you want and sub half to two-thirds of the mayo (or whatever sauce/dressing) with a
20210707_175114.jpg
20210707_164959.jpg
pesto. Store-bought or homemade. Whatever. Doesn't fucking matter. Fantastisch!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Frenchies on the Strip in Pittsburgh PA. If you get the chance. Only available as a side. Just make sure you order something that comes with a side. Lunch only.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
low fat/healthy/low sodium should not be options when it comes to potato salad. At least not for german or good old American potato salad.