Quantcast

Potential Injuries?

Ok, I know what kind of havoc DH can wreck on one's body, however, I feel that dirt jumping in itself presents a whole different list of common injuries, or are they that different? What would be considered "common" dirt jumping injuries and techniques to avoiding them would be nice as well. :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by kuma
Ok, I know what kind of havoc DH can wreck on one's body, however, I feel that dirt jumping in itself presents a whole different list of common injuries, or are they that different? What would be considered "common" dirt jumping injuries and techniques to avoiding them would be nice as well. :D
Learn how to crash it's the most important thing you can do to prevent injuries.....D

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Wrecking a bike no matter what kind has the same normal injuries, collarbone, shoulder wrists, you could hurt your knees are weird you can hurt them doing anything.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I broke three bones in my foot while dirt jumping last fall. I tried to ditch my bike too late as I was overclearing a decent sized double and consequently landed on top of my bike, thus breaking my foot as it deflected off my frame. Aside from that though, dirt jumping for me tends to be the smoothest, lowest impact type of riding I do. It really is all about either ditching your bike early or hanging on tight if you can't ditch it (when you overclear). When you case your front wheel though, you probably want to be jumpin over your bars! I have blown my knee twice at sk8 parks now, blown both my shoulders downhilling, and concussed myself at the BMX track. So far, street has been the least painful type of riding.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
seems like acl and mcl injuries are super common among dirtjumpers and street 20" dudes i know. more so than most mtb'ers. scary.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Yep, it's hard to shake off injuries like that. Surgery...kinda scary!

All I can say is, for any of you with loose joints like me, try to hit the gym every once in a while to balance things out, and sometimes braces are a good idea for preventing/minimizing injuries to shaky joints.

Jaffa

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Adelaide, Australia
I've broken my nose twice, both times I landed too steep and thought I was going to go over the 'bars, but didn't, so SLAM, pain... I've also grazed my face pretty bad after my Giant Iguana MTB snapped at the head tube which meant the fork and 'bars shot out ahead and I couldn't get my arms back from the 'superman' position...
Oh well, scars are cool:p

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
yeah....had a few of those "superman position" landings myself. Owie. 'Specially on a 20" mtb. Hella blood, but chicks dig it. Or so i'd like to think.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
So far the worst injury I have had dirt jumping is I hurt my knee. Just make sure that when you bail, you land on the front side, not the back of the landing. It is not as harsh on your body.

TCW

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
UK, London
Originally posted by OldDickDynamite
seems like acl and mcl injuries are super common among dirtjumpers and street 20" dudes i know. more so than most mtb'ers. scary.

I’ve ruptured my acl, I came off my bmx :), I’m 6 months down the re hab just another 4-6 months to go, and I can start to ride DH again. That’s right, I won’t have rode DH for around 10 months, its killing me now :help: anyway I’m getting by, no point lookin on the bad side, I’ll be back ridin again :D

If ya wonna know, the average acl reconstruction operation is about 1.5 hours, and the most common way ( and they way mine was done) is to use 2 of your hamstrings to replace your acl. Drill though the tibia and fibia a few times and bolt it in there with some titanium, its all good

-tom