Quantcast

potential Pike Problem?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
i'm sure a fair amount of people ride these so...

i ride my pike at the lowest travel setting almost 100% of the time but i have noticed that im only getting about an inch or so of travel before the fork stops compressing and feels like it has bottomed. most of the time when i land it feels and sounds like the fork bottomed when it only compressed about an inch..took it to the LBS and they say it may be something to do with the spring being too stiff, but i weigh 170lbs so i doubt that. it seems like there is probably a problem...doesn't make much of a difference when i raise the fork up, still won't compress past that same point. any advice? i will be calling Sram this week.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I know exactly what you mean, a lot of Boxxer Races have that same problem but I have no idea what causes it. What are your compression settings? Also, have you changed your oil recently? Oil level?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I know exactly what you mean, a lot of Boxxer Races have that same problem but I have no idea what causes it. What are your compression settings? Also, have you changed your oil recently? Oil level?
compression only makes a difference in that 1in or so of travel before the fork bottoms. otherwise its just rock solid. havent changed the oil recently but figured that may have something to do with it. don't know about the oil level, and honestly don't know how to check?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Try checking the Rock Shox site. It's pretty comprehensive. That's the only advice I've got.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
you have to remove the motion control assembly to check oil levels. take off the blue comp cap and unscrew the MoCo. does you pike have hte flood gate? id adjust the flood gate full open and compression full open then check it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
at 170lbs you def aren't too light for the stock spring, if anything, you are slightly heavy.