Quantcast

Potential places to move

YetiLuv

Chimp
Aug 4, 2013
Amherst, NH
Manchester, NH.
Tons of single track in all directions.
KIngdom Trails in Vermont is less than 2 hours.
Mountains and skiing and lift service all around.
Lakes, rivers and the ocean all around or less than an hour.
University and colleges all around.
Design opportunities and Boston an hour away for more bucks with a commute.
Active trail building community.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Is there anywhere in the US that has awesome trail systems and a strong Home Building industry? My GF and I have been discussing moving somewhere but I'm afraid I'm stuck in the DC/Baltimore Metro area for the foreseeable future because of job security.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Is there anywhere in the US that has awesome trail systems and a strong Home Building industry? My GF and I have been discussing moving somewhere but I'm afraid I'm stuck in the DC/Baltimore Metro area for the foreseeable future because of job security.
Yeah man, Greenville, SC area. Plenty work all around and plenty of trail in all directions from XC, AM, and of course my favorite...gravity fed and FR...:thumb:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yeah man, Greenville, SC area. Plenty work all around and plenty of trail in all directions from XC, AM, and of course my favorite...gravity fed and FR...:thumb:
I went to Clemson so I lived in that Area for 5 years. I loved the riding down there but I don't remember the housing industry being that healthy, maybe it's changed in the last few years.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
I went to Clemson so I lived in that Area for 5 years. I loved the riding down there but I don't remember the housing industry being that healthy, maybe it's changed in the last few years.
Things are growing in the Oconee and Pickens County areas where Clemson is at, but the Greenville County area is growing. There is plenty of work in construction (if this is what you are speaking of) and manufacturing as. As per housing availability, it is present.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Timely topic...better 1/2 and I were discussing this very thing on yesterday. Military retirement looms, and we are on the hunt for a new place to call home.

(She wants...)
4 seasons.
Good schools
Reasonable cost of living
Decent job market
Recreation opportunities

I want

Mountains
Beer
Hockey

Thinking about
San Diego
Summit County CO
Boise
Missoula

Vancouver BC too...what are the rules regarding emmigration? (Or is it immigration? I get confused...) Anyone?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I'm Rick James in another life...

Summit Cty away from the resorts is somewhat reasonable. And SD has military employment, where the wife was when we met and plans to return to when we return Stateside. IF we return that is ;)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just moved to Vegas & have been stoked so far.
It meets your criteria, it seems.
Yes, its hot. But I can hike year round. When it's hot in the valley we head into the mountains. I can also ride my motorcycle to work in January.
In less than an hour, I can be at so many different trail heads. Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Spring Mountains, Colorado River, etc.. all have great trails.
In the Winter you can get to the snow in less than an hour & are driving distance to SLC & Big Bear & more.
The hiking is bad ass, the riding is pretty sweet & the climbing at Red Rocks is supposed to be some of the best.
We are close to LA & San Diego. Closer to UT & Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon & lots more.
As for the economy here, it seems like it is turning around. I got a job here 8 montsh ago & was relocated by my company & we keep bringing in talent from all over the world.

In fact PM me....we are hiring designers all the time. What kind of design do you do?

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just moved to Vegas & have been stoked so far.
It meets your criteria, it seems.
Yes, its hot. But I can hike year round. When it's hot in the valley we head into the mountains. I can also ride my motorcycle to work in January.
In less than an hour, I can be at so many different trail heads. Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead, Spring Mountains, Colorado River, etc.. all have great trails.
In the Winter you can get to the snow in less than an hour & are driving distance to SLC & Big Bear & more.
The hiking is bad ass, the riding is pretty sweet & the climbing at Red Rocks is supposed to be some of the best.
We are close to LA & San Diego. Closer to UT & Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon & lots more.
As for the economy here, it seems like it is turning around. I got a job here 8 montsh ago & was relocated by my company & we keep bringing in talent from all over the world.

In fact PM me....we are hiring designers all the time. What kind of design do you do?
John - keep in mind that TN came to Vegas from Milwaukee... so his LV description is likely a bit... uhhh... rosy. :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
John - keep in mind that TN came to Vegas from Milwaukee... so his LV description is likely a bit... uhhh... rosy. :D
lol...he speaks the truth. But then, so do I.

Here are the draw backs....
It's Vegas BUT with that being said, the touristas stay on on the strip & why would you go down there? :confused:
They city is 'new' so you better like driving & forget about hanging out down at the neighborhood tapper or coffee shop unless you want to drive....& then still, there is a certain charm missing here. Mind you, my old neighborhood tapper in Milwaukee has been in business sine 1857....in the same building.
Other than that I cant find too many other drawbacks.
other pluses...
no state income tax.
cost of living is cheaper than milwaukee.
you can order "hot blondes to your door 24/7".
the asian food is the bomb.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
lol...he speaks the truth. But then, so do I.

Here are the draw backs....
It's Vegas BUT with that being said, the touristas stay on on the strip & why would you go down there? :confused:
They city is 'new' so you better like driving & forget about hanging out down at the neighborhood tapper or coffee shop unless you want to drive....& then still, there is a certain charm missing here. Mind you, my old neighborhood tapper in Milwaukee has been in business sine 1857....in the same building.
Other than that I cant find too many other drawbacks.
For me a summer *average* temp over 100* is a drawback. That and an average low of 80. Both deal-breakers.

I like warm and dry... but that desert down there is *ridiculous*... :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
For me a summer *average* temp over 100* is a drawback. That and an average low of 80. Both deal-breakers.

I like warm and dry... but that desert down there is *ridiculous*... :D
We got a taste of 117º in June...evidently that was abnormal & set records. It was brutal.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Lived in Silverthorne for about a year, liked in then, but that was *COUGH* a few years ago...there is a good chance my next move will be to the C Springs area, so we will be in striking distance for real estate and jobs in the area. My wife has a recreation background, and I am okay working seasonally aftr 20+ years in uniform, so ski country suits us, as does the weather profile.

Love the idea of Vermont, but have never been there or to the East coast (Except for Jersey, does that count?) so have no realistic idea of what its truly like.

Loved the time I spent in WA too, so it makes the final cut too...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Lived in Silverthorne for about a year, liked in then, but that was *COUGH* a few years ago...there is a good chance my next move will be to the C Springs area, so we will be in striking distance for real estate and jobs in the area. My wife has a recreation background, and I am okay working seasonally aftr 20+ years in uniform, so ski country suits us, as does the weather profile.

Love the idea of Vermont, but have never been there or to the East coast (Except for Jersey, does that count?) so have no realistic idea of what its truly like.

Loved the time I spent in WA too, so it makes the final cut too...

Vermont would meet most of your requirements from your earlier post. However, you would probably need to be close to Burlington for the best job opportunities. You may be able to find some decent jobs in other areas near colleges and ski resorts, but not as many.

Vermont is a beautiful state with lots of outdoor activities available. It's still mostly rural, with a lot of farmland and woods.

Keep in mind Vermont's winters last a little longer than other areas, and there are tons of prius driving liberals in Vt.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I lived in VT, burlington, for years. Loved it. Really enjoyed the small town aspect. Living in portland, or now and this place is huge feeling. Its the smallest big city on the west coast too.
winters are grey/cold/snow, spring is mud, summer is fantastic, and fall is amazing.
riding is top notch, hiking is great, culture is pretty white, the beer scene is amazing ( alchemist, lawsons, hill, ,.,.,I am clamming better beers than portland), snowsports are meh.