Quantcast

Potentially looking for a plastics company...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Possibly looking to re-produce nla auto part. Anyone have any good contacts stateside for ABS molding and/or production?
The problem with your plan is that making the molds is exceedingly expensive.
When I was a manager at t plastics factory some 12-15 years ago the average mold would cost somewhere in the region of $50k(NZD) to make..... I doubt prices have come down much.

Mind you those were for blow molding and injection molding for materials like HDPE, LDPE, Styrene, PVC etc etc.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
The parts have to have some give to them, as they are the front lip on the bumper. So i think they need to be ABS or some similar plastic.

Can rapid parts be made with any qty and of flexible materials like an abs?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Can rapid parts be made with any qty and of flexible materials like an abs?
not sure...

ABS would be too rigid for a bumper lip. I'd go with polyurethane no more than 1/8". Have you considered making your own from a used bumper or an aftermaket bumper? A jigsaw, heat gun, vice, and a ruler might be all you need if it's gonna be a oneOff

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I have the original parts, as well as the bumpers to ensure fitment is correct. I wasn't thinking of making 1 or two but a fair amount. Theres a high demand for this part but its nla via VW worldwide.

Im fairly certain the OE parts are all abs plastic, but I've never looking into it until now. I know there's some flexible fiberglass but i'd prefer not to go that route.