Quantcast

POTUS Election '24...you heard it here first!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I got this little article in one of my political newsletters today, and it's a very good point about the normalisation of the orange shart.

"
But it was a passing comment from reader Laura that stuck with me:

I was particularly charmed by the use of the word “coma” in relation to Trump, because the more I thought about it, the more I realised it describes the state America finds itself in.
The country has fallen into a collective coma as to how utterly deranged this man is.
Putting it another way, the problem with America is that it’s become addicted to treating Donald Trump like a normal person.
While last night’s moderators did an excellent job of some live-fact checking (“There is no state in this country where it is legal to kill a baby after it’s born” said the ABC’s Linsey Davis), there is still this base level charade of having to say, “Thank you candidate Trump” after he vomits out a bunch of clearly deranged shit.
It’s like someone in a waistcoat saying, “Yes, good point” to a baboon flinging faeces at the wall in a zoo enclosure.
This whole charade was illustrated incredibly well last week when Trump attempted to answer a question about affordable childcare with this word salad:

How did the room react? They clapped. They clapped to a man who’d just made much less sense than the screaming drunken guy you walked past at 3am who’d fallen into the gutter, shat his pants, and vomited all down his front.

Not only that, but the media laundered that deranged word salad like it was a normal answer, Parker Molloy pointing out:

She called it “sanewashing” — and it’s a reminder of how deeply America feels the need to perform constant backflips to maintain that this utter lunatic is somehow normal.

America has been in this coma for years."
Dude. This is such an awesome take. It's fuckin' absolute brilliance. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I mean, you’re a pretty loud country. :D

But, yes, I know. The sane amongst you need to do more.
One of the problems which irks me is that there are almost no cheaper EV options in the USA, they're all stupid levels of horsepower or enough screens and computing power to fly to the moon. Yurp, Asia etc seem to have so many more "affordable" simple EV options.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
One of the problems which irks me is that there are almost no cheaper EV options in the USA, they're all stupid levels of horsepower or enough screens and computing power to fly to the moon. Yurp, Asia etc seem to have so many more "affordable" simple EV options.
they have a sub-car class. autocycles in Europe. many of the Chinese market sales are in this category, which makes sense.

we have motorcycles, things that try to pass regulatorily as motorcycles (a la Aptera), then full blown FMVSS-compliant cars.

that said, there are some promising options, either here or on the horizon:

- Chevy Equinox EV
- Hyundai Kona Electric
- Kia EV3
- Volvo EX30

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I got this little article in one of my political newsletters today, and it's a very good point about the normalisation of the orange shart.

"
But it was a passing comment from reader Laura that stuck with me:

I was particularly charmed by the use of the word “coma” in relation to Trump, because the more I thought about it, the more I realised it describes the state America finds itself in.
The country has fallen into a collective coma as to how utterly deranged this man is.
Putting it another way, the problem with America is that it’s become addicted to treating Donald Trump like a normal person.
While last night’s moderators did an excellent job of some live-fact checking (“There is no state in this country where it is legal to kill a baby after it’s born” said the ABC’s Linsey Davis), there is still this base level charade of having to say, “Thank you candidate Trump” after he vomits out a bunch of clearly deranged shit.
It’s like someone in a waistcoat saying, “Yes, good point” to a baboon flinging faeces at the wall in a zoo enclosure.
This whole charade was illustrated incredibly well last week when Trump attempted to answer a question about affordable childcare with this word salad:

How did the room react? They clapped. They clapped to a man who’d just made much less sense than the screaming drunken guy you walked past at 3am who’d fallen into the gutter, shat his pants, and vomited all down his front.

Not only that, but the media laundered that deranged word salad like it was a normal answer, Parker Molloy pointing out:

She called it “sanewashing” — and it’s a reminder of how deeply America feels the need to perform constant backflips to maintain that this utter lunatic is somehow normal.

America has been in this coma for years."
Don’t include me in the U.S. soup of insanity, I have been hating on Trump, LOUDLY, since at least 1986.
As have most of us (since the early 00’s) on this forum.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think all politicians are full of shit, so I don't pay much attention to it here, let alone down there.
having worked close to politicians at the municipal level for a number of years, this makes me so sad. there's some genuinely good, dedicated people out there that are actually trying to build a better society. I came away from that job thinking there are two categories of people in politics: those that want to make a difference - they have an issue they care about and want to improve society; and then there are people in politics for the sport. I hate that second group with a passion because they fuck it up for everyone else, and in reality halt progress. There are people in that second group of all political colours...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There are people in that second group of all political colours...
I think that's the problem with most politics. "us vs them", "red vs blue", "green vs purple", its just a big dick swinging contest at the high levels. And at the end of it all, us joe blow regular folks are the ones that pay for it all - win or lose.

I don't care what party a politician is associated with, I probably don't trust you.

But yeah at the municipal level there are some good people. Maybe because they are more reachable, approachable and are from the communities they usually represent. But there is always a bad apple...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This is *gold*!

"I don't think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of her or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from their interests and the problems of most Americans"

-JD Vance

e7Fdp0v1fZgti.gif

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This is *gold*!

"I don't think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of her or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from their interests and the problems of most Americans"

-JD Vance

View attachment 218277
Donnie Two Scoops just lost the big beard and brodozer crowd.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Foxconn might already be building EVs in Ohio, wonder if they will end up reasonably priced?