Quantcast

POTUS Election '24...you heard it here first!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Im still struggling to understand how illegal immigrants are making housing so expensive. Like they are buying the 1.3million dollar homes for speculation? With what? This is literally what JD said in the debate, that they are to blame for housing costs and it was bat shit crazy.
Supply and demand is a concept many Americans can grasp in general terms but can't understand in the real world where things aren't "all else equal." That makes it an easy tool to use, saying immigrants increase demand, so prices go up.

If someone uses a $1.3MM house as an example then they've missed the point or are trying to make one of their own. The real question is about the availability and cost of housing in the price range occupied by most of these immigrants. If the median monthly rental price in an area was $1,500 and it moves up to $1,700 then that's a real housing cost that impacts voters who can't absorb a $200 per month change. If a politician can point to the recent immigration as the driver then that voting base might be mobilized.

One of the great challenges of building new low-priced housing is that you have to do it at current prices of time and materials, with current regulations. The result will be an expensive product that ends up getting sold at a premium. As those houses hit the market, the rising price tide lifts the surrounding boats. This is a huge issue in LA. We see news articles about how low-income housing units cost more to build than some market rate condos sell for.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
As those houses hit the market, the rising price tide lifts the surrounding boats.
build enough and then you'll see people switch units... and then the now-empty older units can command a smaller rent because the demand is diminished. see Minneapolis or Austin trends.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
build enough and then you'll see people switch units... and then the now-empty older units can command a smaller rent because the demand is diminished. see Minneapolis or Austin trends.
That situation doesn’t motivate voters.

Edit- Also, when you get to that point the developers figure it out and stop building. They’re developers, but they’re generally smart enough to figure out that they can’t sell in areas where nobody is buying.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Builders dont build nornal size houses because mega-big/giant ones have greater profit margins. That and apartments brings in even more revenue/space. Real estate has gone up way past wages and this isnt a 4 or 8 year thing, its been going up stratospherically for decades and its a multi-faceted issue. Speculation, lack of space, increased population, etc. It’s way out of control, and its not because “immigrants”.

As pointed out before, we spend more for everything, but it doesnt go to the workers, it goes to the shareholders and top. And when things get slower, no one ever thinks that maybe they need to cut back on yacht, secondhome, or motorhome. Nope, squeeze that from those below you, so you don’t have to make any sacrifices.

Real estate needs be devalued, including Brains home. Thats the only thing thatll do it, but the rich property holders will never let that happen.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Guy’s,all I am reading is Bashing Trump and his buddy. Which is fine. However you are not talking about your side and its serious lack of shortcoming’s? As if all is well?

Why is that? Why is it I read nothing here negative about Harris? Why are you not talking about things that are not right with the Dems? As if you are looking down on them with your Head up High. You are not in the moment,you feel like you got it all figured out. To caught up to look at the whole picture and say what the fuck is going on?

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, she’s not trying to overturn democracy. Nothing approaches what trump has done and what he stands for.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Avy, did you follow the news about Trump today (on a non -Fox news source?).
Its fucking insane.
Treason used to be punishable by death.
No Brother, I heard nothing. I did listen to ALOT of stuff,but did not hear. I was taking a break off of politics and listening to True Stories. I will check it out asap.

I understand and agree with this Trump madness. However,it goes both ways. I need you/us to talk about Dems problems. You all think(rightfully so) that Trump is a Terrible person for the USA. But you have no concerns of Harris?

I feel I am being led down a rabbit whole. There are Two Holes to choose from. Going to bed now.

Avy

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Builders dont build nornal size houses because mega-big/giant ones have greater profit margins.
Agreed. If I was buying a plot of land and building a house to sell, I’d imagine the cost step up from a moderate house and a luxury house isn’t as significant as the price step up, making the luxury house the more profitable option, and the one likely taken. This assumes a certain amount of restriction on the amount of luxury. Obviously a mansion on a sprawling estate is a different from a single family residence on a suburban grid.

Same goes for urban areas where developers are building apartments. Moderate step up in build costs gains you a significant step up in rents, thus little motivation to build low income housing, shy of government incentives like tax credits and payment assistance.

There’s a market for premium/luxury housing just above the reach of the average household income. It’s a bigger political risk to point fingers at that voting base (upper middle class and/or lower upper class) for the rising median cost of housing than it is to point at immigrants who can’t vote.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Builders dont build nornal size houses because mega-big/giant ones have greater profit margins.
Yep smaller houses have a greater "per square meter" cost than a larger one, largely comes down to the unavoidable cost's like the kitchen and bathroom.
Which is why the average sqm cost in NZ is about $4k, my small house is coming in closer to $8k per square meter.