Quantcast

POTUS Election '24...you heard it here first!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I was doom scrolling YT and started watching this video on Goop. As I listened/watched, I couldn't help but feel that I'd heard this type of talk before, so I hit the google and found surprisingly little written about the Goop/Trump Venn Diagram. I did find a GQ article from 2018 connecting these dots.

On the surface, Paltrow, Los Angeles's high priestess of good taste, and Trump, the garish Queens hawker of race-baiting, have little in common. But they have both amassed loyal bases among those desperate for fictions and simple solutions to their deepest anxieties, adrift in America's shifting virtual reality. These loyalists are immune to the experts, and the haters only reinforce their fealty. Goopians don't want to accept the ugly limits of their own mortal-ness, and so they worship at the altar of beauty and wellness under a golden goddess; Trumpians don't want to accept demographic trends, which indicate that they will soon be in the minority and make them fear losing cultural status, so they pin their hopes on a wall and a demagogue.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

relevant non-feels-based data
Yeah,I’m sure they will be able to shut her down no Problem next earth quake. I mean,it’s not on a Fault. Oh wait,that’s right,they know All about what keep’s me up at night.

Avy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was doom scrolling YT and started watching this video on Goop. As I listened/watched, I couldn't help but feel that I'd heard this type of talk before, so I hit the google and found surprisingly little written about the Goop/Trump Venn Diagram. I did find a GQ article from 2018 connecting these dots.

On the surface, Paltrow, Los Angeles's high priestess of good taste, and Trump, the garish Queens hawker of race-baiting, have little in common. But they have both amassed loyal bases among those desperate for fictions and simple solutions to their deepest anxieties, adrift in America's shifting virtual reality. These loyalists are immune to the experts, and the haters only reinforce their fealty. Goopians don't want to accept the ugly limits of their own mortal-ness, and so they worship at the altar of beauty and wellness under a golden goddess; Trumpians don't want to accept demographic trends, which indicate that they will soon be in the minority and make them fear losing cultural status, so they pin their hopes on a wall and a demagogue.

It's not coincidence it rhymes with "poop"

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News

I wonder how many times a week @mandown's youtube algorithm has to visit a therapist?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Several decent (though not authentic) Mexican restaurants, none that have huaraches to my knowledge. Also, the irony of the town name being a mispronounced Spanish word is not lost on me.
Love me some huarache - sope's the size of dinner plates!

I suppose you are in green chili land. "Authentic" means something different to everybody.

That Univision town hall was great.

IMO, they need to call it a close race up until election day. If people think it'll be a landslide maybe they won't turn out to vote.

Montana rider

Tom Sawyer
Mar 14, 2005
How is the polling so close. HOW?

They're "flooding the zone" with partisan results to shape the meta narrative and media coverage.

See also betting markets.

If I wasn't a big kitty I'd put new bike $$$ on the favorable Harris odds.

Last night when I checked $500 -> $1250+ for Harris to win

It will be close because racism and sexism are hellova drugs.

But plus side is the uncertainty could bolster turnout unlike Trump v Clinton which felt like Hill-dog fait acompli... until it wasn't.

ETA: invest in Trump watches you say...

CNN tried to find the makers of Trump’s new ‘Swiss-made’ watches. We ended up at a shopping center in Wyoming

ETA2: Just realized I self-nippled 6th post from another thread.

1729181317620.png

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
See also betting markets.
Are betting markets more accurate than polls? What kind of chaos would a second Trump term bring? And is U.S. democracy really in danger, or just “sputtering on”? (Part two of a two-part series.)

Takes a bit to get to the betting discussion, but it is in there.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
How is the polling so close. HOW?
Polling can be misleading. Clinton had the popular vote and lost. Biden had the popular and won. So, being close now is just extra confusing noise.

We probably think alike in that we don’t understand the choice of a Trump voter. It makes me wonder what a day in the life of a Trump voter is like and how they see people like us.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Polling can be misleading. Clinton had the popular vote and lost. Biden had the popular and won. So, being close now is just extra confusing noise.

We probably think alike in that we don’t understand the choice of a Trump voter. It makes me wonder what a day in the life of a Trump voter is like and how they see people like us.
You're obviously The Enemy Within.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

From that Jimmy Kimmel vid it's clearly several hours of Fox/Newsmax/OAN swallowing it down whole.