Quantcast

Powder coat or paint???

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Now that winter will be here soon I have bin thinking about maybe having the mountain bike ether powder coated or painted. Any one know of any good places that do this? And is it a good idea to pick a place that manly pants or powder coats bike frames?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Powdercoat. If it's a full-suspension, send it to a company that does bikes...you can probably have a hardtail done locally.

Google Olympic Powdercoating in southern CA...they're awesome, cheap, and the stock PCers for Turner and, I think, Intense. They did my RFX over, after another supposed 'bike coater' 1) nearly ruined the frame by sandblasting it and 2) went against my instructions and coated over the bushing seats.

Spectrum Powder Works is in CO, I think, and they do awesome work as well...lots of custom type stuff. Google them, too.

I also recall some place called Cyclart or some such that did lots of paint and powder custom work...much of it I found pretty tacky, but it was sort of impressive nonetheless...can't blame them for painting what the customer wants.

It's not worth getting a nice wet paint job on a mountain bike IMHO.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Pulser955 said:
Now that winter will be here soon I have bin thinking about maybe having the mountain bike ether powder coated or painted. Any one know of any good places that do this? And is it a good idea to pick a place that manly pants or powder coats bike frames?

I had my bike powdercoated by Spectrum and it turned out to be the most beautiful bike in the world...see pics...

Attachments

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
WOW nice guys thanks. I will check out both places. it’s a full suspension so I guess its going to be powder coat. dh girlie did you take the frame apart before you sent it to them or did they take it apart for you?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Pulser955 said:
WOW nice guys thanks. I will check out both places. it’s a full suspension so I guess its going to be powder coat. dh girlie did you take the frame apart before you sent it to them or did they take it apart for you?
I had my bitch take it apart for me! :D I packed it up with a bunch of bubble wrap and sent it INSURED to ups for like 15 bucks and had spectrum send it back insured for the frames worth AND the cost of the paint job (which was a pretty penny, but the pictures do the pc job no justice and the bike is just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.)

So yeah, take it alllll apart...take out the bearings, etc. everyting...just send a naked frame.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
dh girlie said:
I had my bitch take it apart for me! :D I packed it up with a bunch of bubble wrap and sent it INSURED to ups for like 15 bucks and had spectrum send it back insured for the frames worth AND the cost of the paint job (which was a pretty penny, but the pictures do the pc job no justice and the bike is just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.)

So yeah, take it alllll apart...take out the bearings, etc. everyting...just send a naked frame.

I figured I would have to take it all apart. I just have to decide if I want to do an electric blue or a stealth mat black finish.