Quantcast

Powder Coat Question

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
This is more of a shop question, but there is a lot more traffic from skilled labor types in here.

What type of powder coat is typically used for steel bicycle frames?

Polyester?
Acrylic?
Epoxy?
Polyamide?
Vinyl?
A hybrid of these?

I've noticed some types of paint will tend to chip (I'm guessing the acrylic varieties), whereas others will tend to peel away from the frame before separating from the paint layer. I would like some background information on the properties of each.

InB4 "let me google that for you": all I'm finding is a bunch of marketing BS on the subject. Would like some good hands-on description of the mechanical properties. Can anybody weigh in on this?

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
InB4 "let me google that for you": all I'm finding is a bunch of marketing BS on the subject. Would like some good hands-on description of the mechanical properties. Can anybody weigh in on this?
I've nearly given up completely on Google. Try to search for something simple and it brings me back people trying to sell me something completely irrelevant but has one of the words hidden deep within the website. Been having decent luck with Bing. :rant:

Carry on...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Call ron at custom coat in lewiston idaho or olympic powdercoat in escondido california.... both do alot of stuff oly does drag cars show cars bikes race trucks desert trucks et and ron does a TON of farm equiptme.t and outdoor stuff that takes a real beating in 5 degrees to 105 so it can't get brittle or soft with the weather changes... just a thought both have alot of years in the business and neither are sheik or into marketing hype. 1s a biker the other a mountain man so reliability is key.....

They are good at answering questions a little rough on the edges but will usually be happy to explain stuff in detail.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Some clarification:
I'm not looking to paint a frame. I'm looking to source paint for an employer. We have a steel product which gets powder coated at the factory. The paint they use is brittle and chips if you look at it wrong. I'm trying to understand my options better without wasting some poor painter's time. I've had several steel frames which all had good tough paint. Some of the bmx frames would peel, I'm assuming because of poor prep work. but nothing ever chipped the way this stuff does.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Some clarification:
I'm not looking to paint a frame. I'm looking to source paint for an employer. We have a steel product which gets powder coated at the factory. The paint they use is brittle and chips if you look at it wrong. I'm trying to understand my options better without wasting some poor painter's time. I've had several steel frames which all had good tough paint. Some of the bmx frames would peel, I'm assuming because of poor prep work. but nothing ever chipped the way this stuff does.
You asked about powder coat if pc is what your looking for ask then which works best and where they get it from... that was my point not to send your stuff in. That's the reason I said call and talk to them......
if its paint then rename the thread but if its pc those guys can answer stuff.....

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
You asked about powder coat if pc is what your looking for ask then which works best and where they get it from... that was my point not to send your stuff in. That's the reason I said call and talk to them......
if its paint then rename the thread but if its pc those guys can answer stuff.....
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude,
The most important thing is the surface prep. You need to media blast the object and then chemical dip it to fully degrease it.
For the application at hand something along the line of TigerDrylac series 38 poly is what I'd recommend.

The only thing that really matters is that you use a UV resistant poly for outdoor applications.

I usually re-coat frames for $150 for a single non special-effects color.
It is important that the people who mask and spray understand what they are doing and that the prep process is as clean as possible.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Dude,
The most important thing is the surface prep. You need to media blast the object and then chemical dip it to fully degrease it.
For the application at hand something along the line of TigerDrylac series 38 poly is what I'd recommend.

The only thing that really matters is that you use a UV resistant poly for outdoor applications.

I usually re-coat frames for $150 for a single non special-effects color.
It is important that the people who mask and spray understand what they are doing and that the prep process is as clean as possible.
This is happening in a factory, prep is thorough and harsh.
You're recommending a Polyester powder, which is a start. Thanks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Olympic Powdercoating in Anaheim is the one known for doing bike frames (Turners for example), not the other one in Escondido.