Quantcast

powder coated spring?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
im not to famileur with the properties of powder coating, a close friend of mine just recently got a new powder coating set up.

has anyone attempted to powder coat a shock spring before? is there any special type i could use that is more "flexible" ?

thanks

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
im not to famileur with the properties of powder coating, a close friend of mine just recently got a new powder coating set up.

has anyone attempted to powder coat a shock spring before? is there any special type i could use that is more "flexible" ?thanks
Had one powder coated a couple years ago.........held up 100% fine.
He just used "regular" powder, i don't think it was anything special.
It looked Ti when he was done...

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Powder coating springs is pretty standard so it should work fine. There are a few different types of coatings though but could not tell you what is best suited as never done a spring.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Forgot to say don't be tempted to use anything where you have to heat to much if it is a steel spring.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Have done powder coated my Manitou steel spring in white a long time ago,looked allot nicer than the black.

after 1 year it still looked good,i head done many layers of paint on the spring.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i have a sand blaster at my disposal as well, so weight should be a problem, not that im to concerned. i believe he said it only has to get to approx. 400F, is that to high ?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I'm in euros but I think that works out at 200C so would be fine. You just don't want to start annealing the steel.