Quantcast

Powder Coating...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I know there were allot of threads about this, and i read them. But this is a new question...

How come some people were saying that they got their frames dones for 60 bucks, i got a quote from one guy and he wanted 250! :eek:

And santa cruz offers a "anodized" type paint. Ive seen it before and it isnt anodized, it is really rough, like sandpaper, and supposodly durable. What is this called in painters terms.

The spray paint was not hardening and is very soft after 3 days. And i want it to last, so i think ill spend a little x tra money.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I wouldn't pay $60 for a powder coat. A good one will charge $125 on up depending on what you want. They will also chemicaly strip and sandblast it prior to painting. However if you have this done, you'll need to strip the frame 100%, headset, links, bearings etc. Then go over with the shop and make sure they mask off those areas because it will be difficult to reinstall everything.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
250 is a rip. I got an entire motorcycle frame including the swingarm and the center stand done here for 225.00. That was even on the high side. Annodizing isnt painting. Its a surface treatment of aluminum. The color is actually dye not paint.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
ok, I'll take the anodizing question. If I recall correctly, anodizing is actually IN the metal. It is very durable and is some type of chemically(?) done. Anodizing is also rough to the touch. It is also quite a bit lighter, due to the lack of layers of paint and a clearcoat finish. $250.00 sounds good for a powdercoat job.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Tried finding a local painter? I mean, custom helmet painter, so something similar. You might work a deal with him that you would prep it for him and he could just paint it for you. Not crazy. Just a solid color.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Well, maybe i should buy a new front triangle instead. Since i have the bike apart already, i think that a new fron triangle will be a better bet. Since the one i have now has a huge dent in it.

x-vert

Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I got my bighit powdercoated for $100, he charged $70 for the main triangle, and $10 each additional piece.

You can possibly mail them you're frame if you live in the states.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
x-vert said:
I got my bighit powdercoated for $100, he charged $70 for the main triangle, and $10 each additional piece.

You can possibly mail them you're frame if you live in the states.
damn where did you get that done ill give him a call.

sandblastign and powdercoating black cant be that hard.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ridiculous said:

You might want to PM MikeD about the experience he had with a bad powdercoater who did some actual damage to his frame.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
ridiculous said:

You don't sandblast a frame, you have it chemically stripped. Olympic Powdercoating in Santa Ana, CA does a lot of bikes, including pro team stuff. I'm not sure what they'd charge for mail-in orders, but I know they won't f**k up the bike. Olympic

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mack, if you paint acrylic over the non-dried black paint it will turn into a big sticky mess.

Go down to an autobody supply store or a high-end autoparts store and find some "Aircraft Remover", a can of "self-etching primer" and a can of nice expensive acrylic based spray paint. The aircraft remover comes in either a tin or an aerosol can and the primer in an aerosol can as well. Lay out a big piece of cardboard and go to town on the frame with the remover. It will bubble the paint right off. Leave it for about 10 minutes and then hose the frame off with high pressure, dry it very well and reapply to get the last stubborn bits of paint off. Then scuff the frame a little with some fairly fine emery cloth (~800 grit) and give it a few good coats of primer. Sand down any drips or mistakes and reapply. Now paint it whatever color you want (I'd go for semi-gloss black because it's easy to touch up and you will chip it often). Start with light dustings for your first couple of coats and then once you can no longer see the primer at all carefully apply one nice and even thick coat, being careful not to let the paint drip!!! I do this outside in the sun or under bright lights so I can see when the orange peel starts to fill in and to make sure it doesn't drip. There is a very fine line between a smooth coat and a big sloppy drip! Then let that puppy dry for a few days regardless of what the spray can says about drying times. Be sure to let it dry indoors in a nice dry warm place. Ideally the same goes for applying the paint but I already now you don't have a respirator and you need all the brain cells you have left.

Otherwise take it to a powder coater and drop about $150 minimum for a good job.

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Mack,

I just had my Jamis Eureka hard tail frame powdercoated (trans blue) and it cost me $70 plus shipping. The frame looks incredible. Powdercoat is superior to spray paint in every way. I have attached a pic of the frame.
Here is his e-mail address EXATAK@aol.com. The name of the comppany is BK Performance coatings.

Good Luck :thumb:

REC

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
rec said:
Mack,

I just had my Jamis Eureka hard tail frame powdercoated (trans blue) and it cost me $70 plus shipping. The frame looks incredible. Powdercoat is superior to spray paint in every way. I have attached a pic of the frame.
Here is his e-mail address EXATAK@aol.com. The name of the comppany is BK Performance coatings.

Good Luck :thumb:

REC
Only 70 bucks for that? Did that price include the stripping of the old paint? That looks good. :thumb:

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Yes it did include stripping, this guy powder coats ATV frames and parts for a living and has a great reputation. You can check out more of his work at atvriders.com, go to the forums and scroll down to the BK Performance section. He has a lot of his work posted there.
REC

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
$50- 70 bucks is typical around here without stripping...and these are guys that do Harley stuff etc. Just go down to your local Harley shop and ask...