Quantcast

Powder Coating

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I'm looking at getting my VW rims powder coated but their pretty banged up. Is there a type of filler you can put in and sand/grind down to fill in the scratches, ext.? I googled but to no avail...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$400? Ouch. I had a whole truck frame done for $200. Last time I did a set of wheels it cost me about $12. :D

I used "Camaro Silver", same color factory Rally Wheels are shot with.

<edit>

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
$400? Ouch. I had a whole truck frame done for $200. Last time I did a set of wheels it cost me about $12. :D

I used "Camaro Silver", same color factory Rally Wheels are shot with.

<edit>

Damn, Maby I should shop around a little. I was getting quoted $80-$100 per wheel even with a group buy...

I think I'm getting them done in a shiny black, maby Matte black. I'm going for the Blacked out look for the GTI. Windows are gettin tinted in like 2 or 3 weeks, and I have some vans tint spray coming so I can do the tails and side/mirrior markers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, the oven cost me about $100 (built it), the gun was $550, but I used the $200 cheap one for about 8 years, then the powder runs $5-$10 a pound. I think it took about a pound for all 4.

Continental Coatings shot the frame because my oven is only 4x4x6.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Well, the oven cost me about $100 (built it), the gun was $550, but I used the $200 cheap one for about 8 years, then the powder runs $5-$10 a pound. I think it took about a pound for all 4.

Continental Coatings shot the frame because my oven is only 4x4x6.
If I only had the garage space for an oven.. I would totaly do it myself. And charge my friends to do theirs! Haha. I saw that craftsman one and thought about going that route but figured I better just let the pro's do it, it will probaly turn out better anyways.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A friend of mine had some wheels done a Continental last year, I think they charged him about $40 a wheel. You might want to shop around.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
A friend of mine had some wheels done a Continental last year, I think they charged him about $40 a wheel. You might want to shop around.
Yeah, how long is the turn around for it? Because I've only got 1 set of rims and would hate to have to drive the '98 suburban for more than a couple of days...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depends on who does it. If you do all the prep, then it only takes about 4 hours to clean/shoot/bake/cool. If you set it up with them, you should be able to drop them off in the morning and have them mounted before dinner.

<edit> I think John did it on the side, so it took a few days. But $40 vs. $100 might be worth it. If you are in a hurry, money talks.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Depends on who does it. If you do all the prep, then it only takes about 4 hours to clean/shoot/bake/cool. If you set it up with them, you should be able to drop them off in the morning and have them mounted before dinner.
Awesome, I need new tires too, so I will see if I can get specific times at both the powder coater and at the tire place. And now to get some jack stands..........