Quantcast

Powdercoating lowers?

I have a new Boxxer Team that I was thinking about powdercoating the lowers. Has anyone does this?

I know and trust the guy that'll be doing it, Chip at C4Labs does a lot of old school BMX restorations and takes a great deal of pride in his work with bikes.

I'm just worried about if the general process would be okay. I'm guessing I just need to disassemble them, get them powdered, then build them back up. It should be simple as that.

Just wondering if it's been done before and if so, is there any feedback.

Thanks Monkies!!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Did it to my marzocchi last week
Take everything out
Take out the outside seals too
Make sure the holes are all closed with old cloths or something like that.
I recommend sand blasting it first to take off the original paint. The powder will stick better.
Than you can put your stickers on it and reassemble it.

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Did it to my marzocchi last week
Take everything out
Take out the outside seals too
Make sure the holes are all closed with old cloths or something like that.
I recommend sand blasting it first to take off the original paint. The powder will stick better.
Than you can put your stickers on it and reassemble it.
The lowers are too thin to sandblast.

You will almost certainly blow through them rendering them to the junk pile.

Other stripping methods will work such as a chemical stripper or if you're intent on using an abrasive stripper use something much less abrasive than sand in your blaster such as baking soda or walnut shells.:thumb:

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
How much are you guys paying to get these things powder coated. I got a frame I need done and trying to get a point of reference.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
How much are you guys paying to get these things powder coated. I got a frame I need done and trying to get a point of reference.
http://www.c4labspc.com/pricing.html

The cats at C4Labs are the bomb!! The main guy (owner) there Chip is an old BMXer and knows his stuff. I know someone that had a BMX frame done locally here in SC and the thing came back warped.

I've had several vintage and new frames/forks powdered by him, he's also polished a couple pairs of Saint cranks, Thomson stems, hubs, posts and other parts.

I'm packing up the links and dropouts from the 951 to send him.

The dude is seriously talented!!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
My friend had his Totem lowers powder coated, and they warped from the heat. He had to buy a new set, and has a pretty looking paper weight.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
RE: Thad's post

I've heard of Fox 40 lowers doing this often, too. I know that Magnesium is a fairly sensitive metal, especially when it's as thin as a lot of fork lowers are.

I had the lowers on my old 06 888 powdercoated and they warped at the bridge ("brake arch"). I had throw em out and buy new ones to sell my fork.

My friend had his Totem lowers powder coated, and they warped from the heat. He had to buy a new set, and has a pretty looking paper weight.
RE: Thad's post

I've heard of Fox 40 lowers doing this often, too. I know that Magnesium is a fairly sensitive metal, especially when it's as thin as a lot of fork lowers are.

I had the lowers on my old 06 888 powdercoated and they warped at the bridge ("brake arch"). I had throw em out and buy new ones to sell my fork.

This is what I am afraid of. I wonder if the heat was too high and caused them to warped. Now I'm have second thoughts about this. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that I wouls have to buy new lowers from SRAM. Heck I dunno if I should or not now.

Thanks for the input guys!!