Quantcast

Powdercoating Question

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I was wondering since the powdercoat process requires the items to be baked at a high temp. Would this baking process compromise the heat treatment of cromo parts? I don't have any alum but out of curiosity, would baking them be a no no. Thanks in advance for your help!

Piece
Richard

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I was wondering since the powdercoat process requires the items to be baked at a high temp. Would this baking process compromise the heat treatment of cromo parts? I don't have any alum but out of curiosity, would baking them be a no no. Thanks in advance for your help!

Piece
Richard

Powdercoating is baked at 300 degrees , most chromoly isnt heat treated and the stuff that is wont be effected by that temp .
There are some steel alloy's like OX pltinum and Renoylds 853 that will harden a bit if the powdercoated pre- cleans the frme by heat cleaning it for a few minutes in their oven . Some powdercoaters often leave steel frames in this process too long and they begin to yellow , this might not effect the frame much but if your getting any yellowing then the steel has been heated too much .