Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
kidwoo said:
No.

It's for the 29 nazi brigade.

the anal asses
Wow comparing one's passion for larger wheels to the Mindless Slaughter of Millions of Jews, thats compassion.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Based on that data, Harris concluded that his Salsa required more average power to achieve the same lap times over the same terrain in the same conditions as his Trek (175 watts for the Fuel, 188 for the Dos Niner). He says that by his measure, if he rode both bikes at the same power output (presumably a limitation of his physique and fitness), Harris calculates that his two-niner lap times would be about two minutes slower. "I think I can attribute some of the difference to the power required to accelerate each bike," he says. But adds, "I can only base this on impressions. And my impression, my sensation, is that Dos Niner does not accelerate as fast as the Fuel."

Conclusion: N8 sucks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
kidwoo said:
It's for the 29 nazi brigade.
That "brigade" only has one monkey that I know of. There are more 29ers here than i think you realize, it's just that a lot of us feel that riding is what's important, not what your riding on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
Based on that data, Harris concluded that his Salsa required more average power to achieve the same lap times over the same terrain in the same conditions as his Trek (175 watts for the Fuel, 188 for the Dos Niner). He says that by his measure, if he rode both bikes at the same power output (presumably a limitation of his physique and fitness), Harris calculates that his two-niner lap times would be about two minutes slower. "I think I can attribute some of the difference to the power required to accelerate each bike," he says. But adds, "I can only base this on impressions. And my impression, my sensation, is that Dos Niner does not accelerate as fast as the Fuel."

Conclusion: N8 sucks
If those number were due to the differences in power required for acceleration I would hate to see the numbers for a course that requires you to use your brakes more than twice.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Westy said:
If those number were due to the differences in power required for acceleration I would hate to see the numbers for a course that requires you to use your brakes more than twice.
You only had the use the brakes 2X at Pueblo?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think the jury is still out on this one - check out Mike Ferrentino's (Bike Mag) response:

However, there was this guy racing solo there [Old Pueblo], and leading the class for a while until he went blind during the night (seriously. But he got better), doing his own experiment on whether 29” wheels really do roll faster than 26” wheels. Dave Harris, who rides and coaches for Team healthFX, concluded a three stage experiment using PowerTap strain meters to measure whether he was faster riding and racing his Trek Fuel or his Salsa Dos Niner. The final results are here:http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/dave_harris/archive/2006/02/21/571.aspx#comments
29er VS. 26 Blog Dig around on the site, and his blogs in particular, and see the rest of the results. Interesting stuff. Apparently, bigger wheels don’t really roll faster. He’s getting a whipping over on MTBR.com’s boards for not being scientific enough, but as far as I know, is the first person to do some actual testing based on power output as opposed to the usual uninformed seat-of-the-pants zealotry that the 29” converts apply. Swear to God, they are making single speeders seem almost rational and even-tempered.

At the other end of the spectrum, Travis Brown was relating to me how he and JHK would go out on training rides last year, on identically spec-ed 26” and 29” Fishers, and being about the same size and shape, would swap bikes during the ride. According to Mister Brown, whoever was on the 29” bike, regardless of terrain, would pull away from the 26” rider.

Why am I paying attention at all? Well, aside from a test of four different 29” bikes coming in our July issue, there will be also a Gearhead feature going into the pro and con of the wheel size. Hopefully without judgement. My own findings are that they work real well in some places, and not so well in some others. After playing around on the things for six years now, I’m still not convinced that they will make me more of a man, or cure cancer...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Zark said:
You only had the use the brakes 2X at Pueblo?
Twice is an exageration but at least compared to the trails I'm used to there was very little braking required. Lot's of fast wide open stuff. The flowy singletrack was faster if you were lighter on the "gas" and only accelerated to a speed that was acceptable for the next corner.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wow you 29er riders are not only responsible for the genocide of millions, you're also really insightful.

I fear you. Please don't exterminate my people. I know you guys are into that sort of thing.

claimer:
I've also ridden a few 29er gary fischers, hardtail and suspension. They roll faster and definitely get better traction. I just switched my dirtjump bike from 24s back to 26s for the same reason. But I don't ride one because of the necessary lengthening wheelbase/chainstay and think they handle like crap.

But if you've never noticed an elitism among a notable percentage of the population (as well as ss, turner;) , rigid etc riders) constantly trying , you're not paying attention.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
That "brigade" only has one monkey that I know of. There are more 29ers here than i think you realize, it's just that a lot of us feel that riding is what's important, not what your riding on.
Well put BG!! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
kidwoo said:
Why do you hate jews?
I was commenting on BikeGeek's comment that N8 is the only 29er zealot on the Monkey.

There are a bunch of us who ride 29ers including myself, BikeGeek, The Ito, Munkeehucker etc.

But I think I speak for them it is more about being out riding our bikes vs. the size of the wheels those bikes happen to have.

J

JRB

The wheels on my cross bike are about 29" I suppose, but it was harder to ride up a dirt hill than my Reign. I think 26" wheels are better.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
The wheels on my cross bike are about 29" I suppose, but it was harder to ride up a dirt hill than my Reign. I think 26" wheels are better.

There is no absolute "better", niners work great for some people not so much for others. I just figure I'd stir up some crap. For mountainbiking , even racing, I could care less about what is more efficient. I want a bike that has the perfect feel, that perfect feel is going to mean a different bike for different people.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I hear motorbikes require the least energy of all to get uphill.
Maybe we should all ride them.

It's just ****in' different. Who cares?

Well done to N8 for having the funniest posts so far in this thread.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Changleen said:
I hear motorbikes require the least energy of all to get uphill.
Maybe we should all ride them.
I hear if you say "alright, all the assholes in the room stand up", you'll get a lot of people standing up to prove they're not assholes................. when they never needed to stand up in the first place because you weren't referencing them.