Quantcast

Power Analasys of a 29er vs 26"

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Hey I am happy on 29ers, and if your happy on the 26 standard then goo for you lets ride, my only concern with the article is he is basing his studies on to different bikes. all he proved is his trek Fuel is a better race bike than his Salsa on easy course......

J

JRB

Westy said:
There is no absolute "better", niners work great for some people not so much for others. I just figure I'd stir up some crap. For mountainbiking , even racing, I could care less about what is more efficient. I want a bike that has the perfect feel, that perfect feel is going to mean a different bike for different people.
I agree.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
DRB said:
a 15 year old boy?
i just noticed some new foilage from clean so i'll rescind my comment

edit

i have a 29r
i have a 26 hardtail
i have a 26 xc squisher
i have a 26 dhr
i have a 26/24 dhr
i have a 24r
i have a road bike

conclusion
riding things with 2 wheels is good so STFU and RIDE!!!!!!!!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The testing looks to be more scientific than most nutritional scientific research. It pretty much bears up what I've seen personally, and squares with physics.

There isn't much difference in a simple environment between the two wheel sizes. At the speeds a mountain bike wheel spins the losses from the difference in weight is greater than the benefit of a larger wheel. In a less simple environment, like a rock garden, the 29'er might fare better because of it's ability to roll better over larger rock better. In a 20 mph fire road run, the 29'er would probably fare pretty well. 29" wheels are pretty problematic when designing a frame.

Overall (with a few exceptions) the difference between 29'er and 26'er is probably less important than tire choice. Oh, and you'll never be able to compare the same bike in different wheel sizes, so just ride.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Reactor said:
Oh, and you'll never be able to compare the same bike in different wheel sizes, so just ride.
Sure you can. If I had a set of disc 26" wheels I'd happily put them on my 29er. Considering the geometry is based on bigger wheels, the ride would suck so I would come to the Monkey and wholeheartedly proclaim that 26" sucks and 29" rules. Actually, I'd PM N8 since he's already established himself as the resident 29er zealot. :D

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
BikeGeek said:
Sure you can. If I had a set of disc 26" wheels I'd happily put them on my 29er. Considering the geometry is based on bigger wheels, the ride would suck so I would come to the Monkey and wholeheartedly proclaim that 26" sucks and 29" rules. Actually, I'd PM N8 since he's already established himself as the resident 29er zealot. :D
Putting a set of 26" wheels on a bike that has made design compromises to accommodate 29" wheels :rolleyes: the worst of both worlds. I'd completely expect the 29'er to win any real world test under those circumstances.

I'm not going to put up a two page dissertation like I did in the road forum for crank lengths, but the same physics principles apply. To put it simply most of the work done on a mountain bike isn't related to spinning the wheels, it's done to move the much larger mass of the bike and rider, and to make up losses due to tire, bearing, and aerodynamic drag. At typical mountain bike speeds a 29er is slightly less efficient, power wise, than a 26" wheel.

Which works better on the trail in the hands of a particular rider is a whole different enchilada. I'd bet the 29er works a lot better than a 26" wheel on small obstacles, especially while climbing. On the other hand there are still a lot more suspension designs and choices for 26" wheeled riders, I haven't seen a 5" travel trail bike in 29" yet. There are a lot of endurance races where a 29'er should shine, and If I were going to build a single speed it would be a 29'er.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
joking aside as i did earlier. ive raced the Tidewater Mtn Bike Challenge for a long time and this past year was the first time on my 29r and i can say without question (to me) it rolled better than my previous experiences on several different 26s (squish and hardtail). it does require more body english to carve through corners and it seemed more difficult to accerlerate, but it is also a single speed, so that in and of it self makes it difficult to compare to a geary. having said that, it definitely appeared to be faster on the downs because i easily made it up some of the ups compared to the 26rs. this course is very roller coaster like in sections and there were some distinct problem areas before on my 26rs that the 29r ascended with far greater ease.

i cannot speak to which one required more effort as ive never worn any sort of monitoring equipment.

i wont beat my chest and say one is better than the other as im not a 'zealot' per se but rather just a 2 wheeled whore. as long as i am on tasty trail using a tasty rig its all good to me.