Quantcast

Power Meters in DH

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In 2002-3 I was using an SRM, gps and portable expired gas analysis system(measures metabolic energy consumption) in an attempt to create a demand-side energy expenditure profile for DH racing so that it could more easily be modeled for scientific research and improve the training modalities of the riders I was working with. Collecting metabolic and mechanical energy expenditure data allowed me to optimize training programs to the specific needs of gravity racers.

As a personal project is was awesome but I had trouble with sample size as not too many people wanted to ride at race pace wearing a gas mask and 12 pound backpack full of scientific measuring equipment and spend time in a laboratory being tortured with needles and forced to do repeated maximal efforts to failure. Sissies. I eventually finished my thesis research with cyclocross racers because they're bigger weenies and endurance athletes have been using power to train since the mid 90's so they understood what was going on.

The power data is useful for data acquisition in general for pacing on a pedally track, periodic testing to assess physical parameters and optimizing gear selection and pedaling technique to optimize force production/velocity so that the rider can more easily optimize their "power band" when sprinting.
Girard was using power telemetry(as well as vehicle dynamics telemetry) in testing as far back as '99, fwiw.
Power meters on a DH bike are only useful for data acquisition. You sure as hell aren't looking at it while you're taking a run. For high level road and track racing we use powermeters with radio transmitters so that we can look at a riders performance from the sidelines(or team car) and use radio control and a bunch of "slide rules" to play out the tactics by remote control.
For road/bmx/xc/track training an athlete is NOT DOING THEIR JOB if they aren't training by power and working with a smart coach. It's the only objective measure of well, power output, energy consumption and pedaling technique that exists. Training without power isn't training, it's guessing. Any professional downhill rider should be using a power meter every time they get onto a bike to train on the road, and any of the riders who have professional coaching already are.

In the first week using a power meter in training I can easily add 200-300 watts to the sprint of most endurance racers by showing them proper gear selection pedaling and shifting technique. The work I've done with DH racers usually yields similar results. So many gravity riders "chop wood" when they pedal and waste energy pedaling in situations where they should be coasting or tucking.

As far as power telemetry for BMX goes George Costa of Rennen developed the G-Cog which is a fantastic device for collecting data on BMX bikes.

For the last 10 years the powermeter of choice for 4x has been the Powertap. Graves even raced on his for a while in the lead up to the Olympics so he could keep track of his form and train scientifically when he was on the road and I'm pretty sure Prokop did as well.

Knowledge is everything.

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Love it,might even get one for myself.

Powertaps are cool,and rlly rlly good.

Seen the dura-ace srm set-up and apperently we got the new sram one for a customer.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What would be interesting is if you had DUAL power meters... one on the cranks and one on the rear hub.
In other words, an "efficiency" meter. What % of the power you are delivering to the cranks is making it to the wheel (and conversely, what % is going to the actuation of the shock).