Quantcast

power tap/power meters

gonefirefightin

free wieners
anyone using this technology on thier bikes? I have been riding with the other olympic riders during training sessions and they swear by them but I am not sure It is all that needed. I am considering the purchase for my carbon fuji pro but want some input from others who have ideas.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I train with a power meter (the Cycleops Powertap). I would race with it, but I have the older heavier model. IF you know how to use it can be a key training tool. If you make the investment, find a good book or coach to help you come up with a training plan based on the power meter (otherwise its a waste).

One of the things it will teach you is to keep your power consistant....a lot of people will crest a climb and pick up speed, but drop their wattage waaaay down, with a power meter you see this happen. Knowing this can give you an advantage on climbs with flat sections in the middle, you can pull away by keeping the wattage at the same level.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Unless you have a coach who knows what to do with your numbers or you know what they mean, it's not much use to you.

RoadiefreakTJ uses one, and seems to love his, but he has a coach. Maybe he'll have some words of wisdom to share.

The guy who is sort of coaching me doesn't think they're all that necessary; heartrate is fine in his opinion. You have to get tested for your various thresholds with either method. However, you need to be re-tested frequently with power because your wattage at various thresholds will change throughout the season. Your heart rate remains relatively constant and only needs a re-test once a year.

Do you have specific things you are training for?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'll add....

Power isn't without its advantages. As ire said, keeping wattage constant over a climb. But also with intervals. Your heart rate lags when increasing your effort. The wattage increase is seen immediately, so the guesswork is taken out.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
They are great training tools. When i first got mine it showed me right away that i needed to do more one legged drills. Could watch the watts drop and pick up, drop and pick up with every revolution. I also like it because watts is watts there is no hiding from it. Heartrate can be affected by some many things ( rest or lack of , nutrition, stress etc) , but even if you are stressed, malnourished and sleepy, your watts is still your watts. With all that being said, like Mike stated, unless you have a coach( who is certified in power ) its a neat gadget but pretty useless. My suggestion ( not that you asked for it) would be to invest in a coach first, then if you want spring for a Powertap.